There has been news of RIM releasing its own, native Podcast application:

BlackberryOS - Your Blackberry RIM Software and RIM Applications Source - Screen Shots of RIM's Podcast Application Leaked

BlackberryOS - Your Blackberry RIM Software and RIM Applications Source - Screen Shots of RIM's Podcast Application Leaked

Just some questions I have, which maybe some of you can answer:

* When is it scheduled to be released?

* Will it only work on OS 6.0?

* Will it be free?

* Is there any reason to pay for Podtrapper with this in the works?
    04-29-10 01:57 AM
    I just downloaded the app from the Blackberry Beta site. I installed it but I have to wait for them to send me an activation code to try it out. The instructions said that you had to be on OS 4.6 or higher.
    Last edited by sdmcwilliams; 04-29-10 at 06:49 AM.
    04-29-10 06:46 AM
    For me, it is like the whole Ubertwitter and Twitter for BB thing.

I paid for PodTrapper and am very glad I did. Will RIM's app be better. We'll find out. Even so, it would have to be waaaaay better than PodTrapper for me to abandon using it.

Perhaps Marcus may want to reduce the price of PT, at least for a little while longer to bring more folks into the fold.
    04-29-10 08:11 AM
    I just downloaded the app from the Blackberry Beta site. I installed it but I have to wait for them to send me an activation code to try it out. The instructions said that you had to be on OS 4.6 or higher.
    Would love to hear your feedback once you have it activated.
    04-29-10 12:29 PM
    Can someone send me a copy of it?
    04-29-10 02:18 PM
    its beta, so you'd need a keycode from rim.
    04-29-10 02:28 PM
    You need to sign up here https://www.blackberry.com/beta/apply

I finally received my code and activated it. So far so good. I did not really download podcasts before this app. It is set up kind of like App World. You can set it to download over WiFi only or Wifi and Mobile Network. The main screen has "featured podcasts" with two button below it labelled "Top Episodes" and "Categories". There is also a search feature at top. I just downloaded one of the podcasts from The Onion. The video is good quality but the audio is not synched up with the video. It is 2:19 long and was a 7.4MB download. There is also an option to preview a podcast before downloading it completely.

Under Options they have: select where to download the podcasts to (device or media card), only download while charging, display new podcasts indicator, allow explicit podcasts, download newest when new episodes are found and keep a certain number of old podcasts.

Here are the categories:
    Arts: 37 channels
    Blackberry: 1 channel
    Business: 15 channels
    Comedy: 22 channels (some explicit)
    Education: 36 channels
    Food: 8 channels
    Games & Hobbies: 24 channels
    Health: 15 channels
    Kids & Family: 11 channels
    Music: 34 channels
    News & Politics: 93 channels
    Religion & Spirituality: 8 channels
    Science & Medicine: 25 channels
    Sports: 16 channels
    TV & Film: 25 channels
    Technology: 30 channels
    Travel: 1 channel
    Last edited by sdmcwilliams; 04-29-10 at 03:36 PM.
    04-29-10 03:23 PM
    Sounds like its like the crackberry podcast app

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-10 04:10 PM

I finally received my code and activated it. So far so good. I did not really download podcasts before this app. It is set up kind of like App World. You can set it to download over WiFi only or Wifi and Mobile Network. The main screen has "featured podcasts" with two button below it labelled "Top Episodes" and "Categories". There is also a search feature at top. I just downloaded one of the podcasts from The Onion. The video is good quality but the audio is not synched up with the video. It is 2:19 long and was a 7.4MB download. There is also an option to preview a podcast before downloading it completely.

Under Options they have: select where to download the podcasts to (device or media card), only download while charging, display new podcasts indicator, allow explicit podcasts, download newest when new episodes are found and keep a certain number of old podcasts.

Here are the categories:
    I applied there, nothing yet.
    04-30-10 12:38 AM

Here are the categories:
    Is there the ability to download Podcasts that aren't already included with the application?
    04-30-10 01:01 AM
    Is there the ability to download Podcasts that aren't already included with the application?
    Not that I have seen. I was reading through posts about the app on the discussions forum on the beta site and people were upset about not being able to add podcasts that were not listed.

04-30-10 06:05 AM
    Not that I have seen. I was reading through posts about the app on the discussions forum on the beta site and people were upset about not being able to add podcasts that were not listed.

The podcast app is a limited beta, meaning only a few members of the Beta Zone can get it (I cannot). Were you selected at random, or is there something special about your status vis a vis RIM? For example, had you been furiously reporting back to RIM on the Twitter client beta or something?
    04-30-10 06:18 AM

Here are the categories:
    If once released it does not let you add beyond "the list", then this will be an epic fail. But then again, some will like that and some would rather have that for free instead of paying for an app. I was happy to pay the $9.99 to get PodTrapper, but Marcus may want to consider lowering the price to ensure he grabs all the subscribers he can.....
    04-30-10 07:10 AM
    The podcast app is a limited beta, meaning only a few members of the Beta Zone can get it (I cannot). Were you selected at random, or is there something special about your status vis a vis RIM? For example, had you been furiously reporting back to RIM on the Twitter client beta or something?
    I think it was just random. This is the first beta app I have been selected for. I don't even use Twitter.

04-30-10 08:30 AM
    ===== QUOTE JasW ====

===== /QUOTE ====

I think it was just random. This is the first beta app I have been selected for. I don't even use Twitter.

This was the first beta app I was selected for, and I don't even want it.

I was hoping to get the new BBM beta. I have no use for podcast apps that do not even give me a choice of podcasts I want. Preloaded doesn't interest me.

I ignored the invite and never downloaded this app.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-01-10 01:32 PM
    I have heard that in the release version you'll be able to add your own podcasts... TIme will tell.

Any idea when the BBM Beta will be released as a new edition? What does it do differently?
    05-02-10 10:59 AM
    Any idea when the BBM Beta will be released as a new edition? What does it do differently?
    I will say this: I upgraded my Storm, and did not realize that it had installed the old BBM instead of the beta BBM until about a week later. And I use BBM daily.
    05-03-10 11:49 AM
    Umm, what does BBM have to do with the beta Podcast app?
    05-03-10 11:52 AM
    Someone mentioned it up above - it was a tangent...
    05-03-10 12:53 PM
    Just a question, but does anyone really listen to podcasts?
    05-03-10 01:20 PM
    Just a question, but does anyone really listen to podcasts?
    yes

filler
    05-03-10 01:22 PM
    I would have to think so, otherwise Podtrapper wouldn't be one of the most popular apps - even with a $10 price tag.
    05-03-10 01:22 PM
    They didn't include me in the beta so it sucks! j/k But Podtrapper is already an awesome product and well worth the money. I don't pay for many apps, but I DID pay for that one. OK OK, I DID get a discount.
    05-03-10 02:02 PM
    The only complaint I have, so far, with the RIM Podcasts application is the inability to add custom podcasts. As of now, the list of available podcasts to choose from is rather boring (for me). I don't listen to podcasts frequently. I do like to listen when I am travelling, which is about once a month.

I have the freebie CrackBerry podcast application installed and once they add the ability to subscribe to ANY podcast, I will certainly remove the CrackBerry app, which I believe is just a limited version of Pod Trapper.

If given the choice, I prefer to have RIM applications on my device. Why? I think the inherent security of the device - which limits the API's open to developers, etc.. makes 3rd party applications a notch below RIM developed applications. RIM apps tend to be snappier and just seem to work better.
    Last edited by alb123; 05-03-10 at 03:33 PM.
    05-03-10 03:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD