01-21-09 10:24 AM
44 12
tools
    Why is it that everybody feels like they have to do everything exactly the way Apple does it? It's like Apple is the cool kid at school who decides to cut off the left leg of his jeans, and suddenly everybody is doing it.

I hope RIM's recent decision to open an app store doesn't suddenly cause the company to distance itself from Handmark and Pocket Express. I've been a zealous fan of Pocket Express for a while and think it would be a shame to end anything there just because Steve Jobs has his own little store.
    10-22-08 10:45 PM
    i don't think bb will ever stop with the 3rd party apps.
    10-22-08 10:47 PM
    I think the apple app store is brilliant ...

So why not follow in their footsteps if it will improve the user experience for BB owners?
    10-23-08 04:45 AM
    I agree the app store is a great idea. It will just make Rim better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-08 06:49 AM
    Well it can't hurt anything.
    10-23-08 07:38 AM
    You gotta keep up with the competition...

10-23-08 07:47 AM
    but make it better!!!!!
    10-23-08 08:10 AM
    Pocket express will never be used by me again after they tried to screw me over for a hotel night. Never again will they get a call from me. I just wish I could actually delete it from my phone.

10-23-08 09:31 AM
    I'd love an app store...sometimes it's quite overwhelming to new BB users to figure out all the ins and outs of BBs and having everything scattered like that just confuses them more...so if an app store will keep people on a BB instead of switching to iPhone, why not?!
    10-23-08 09:42 AM
    I think it would be a good idea. Have everything all in one spot. New apps, utilities, games, etc. Instead of in a bunch if different stores, just one BIG one like the App store for Apple.

10-23-08 09:58 AM
    What is Pocket Express? Does it have a app store?
    10-27-08 07:25 PM
    Pocket Express is an app that gives you quick access to diversified content. I'd say it's like reading the newspaper on your phone, without the inconvenience and slowness you might expect with a wireless web experience. It also serves as a store.

I'm not particularly knocking Apple. It's just that they do a lot of things that others have done, and suddenly its this great idea as though no one had been doing it for awhile.
    10-29-08 07:39 PM
    is pocketexpress similar to viigo?
    10-29-08 08:05 PM
    is pocketexpress similar to viigo?
    Since using both, I have to say Pocket Express is WAY BETTER, get it here

Pocket Express Delivers News, Weather, Sports, Stocks, 411 Lookups, Maps and Directions to Smartphones
    12-29-08 12:50 PM
    I can't stand Apple and their iPhone. To me you just date the stripper, but don't marry her. She looks good for a while, makes you look good for others when you go out with her, and satisfies your needs. But then you get tired of her and would rather have someone hotter and more reliable. That's when Blackberry comes in. No need for an app store. I don't like this idea.
    12-29-08 01:40 PM
    I can't stand Apple and their iPhone......No need for an app store. I don't like this idea.
    Thats just foolish. Can you imagine if companies really took that advice? Example: Only "1" kind of car out there would have ABS brakes, or CD players, or intermittent wipers.....because they were first and the rest would say "So and So already did that.....so I don't like that idea". Just silly.

Blackberry can't be the innovators of every idea. But they would be foolish to overlook a good idea.
    12-29-08 02:00 PM
    Thats just foolish. Can you imagine if companies really took that advice? Example: Only "1" kind of car out there would have ABS brakes, or CD players, or intermittent wipers.....because they were first and the rest would say "So and So already did that.....so I don't like that idea". Just silly.

Blackberry can't be the innovators of every idea. But they would be foolish to overlook a good idea.
    Completely took that argument out of realm. Eventually it hurts us because like the OP said, it might affect where we get our apps from such as Handango.

As far as the app store being a "good" idea, I'm not convinced of that. It works for Apple because of their consumer. Consumers that go ga-ga over a free app that really isn't going to do that much anyway. At least not as much as a "paid" app will. I guarantee Blackberry users wouldn't buy "paid" apps as much as iPhone owners do. As a stockholder in RIMM, I hope they don't go through with this.
    12-29-08 02:06 PM
    Completely took that argument out of realm. Eventually it hurts us because like the OP said, it might affect where we get our apps from such as Handango.

As far as the app store being a "good" idea, I'm not convinced of that. It works for Apple because of their consumer. Consumers that go ga-ga over a free app that really isn't going to do that much anyway. At least not as much as a "paid" app will. I guarantee Blackberry users wouldn't buy "paid" apps as much as iPhone owners do. As a stockholder in RIMM, I hope they don't go through with this.
    with business failing every day and others cutting back rim needs the consumer market and they made the decision to go after the consumer market a while back thats one reason you are seeing the new features on the phones. even here on crackberry i would say that most of us are consumers and not business people.
    Last edited by jerry12; 12-29-08 at 03:40 PM.
    12-29-08 03:16 PM
    I personally haven't seen apples ap store to judge just yet.

12-29-08 03:28 PM
    A BB app store is not a bad idea and would not hurt the competition..handango, pocket express, etc are all over rated and do not meet the needs of all users..with RIM trying now more than ever to come to the forefront for general consumers this would do nothing but bump up thier stakes in the market .. so if you have stock in it you should want this ..

New BB Users get fed up really quickly with one not really knowing how the BB works and two lack of centrally located, available applications..even if they are free bee toy apps that dont do anything .. I dont mind searching the internet looking for new apps but most people ( the general non-technical public) will not take the time to do this..and will simply get fed up with the device and return it..

not what I would call good return on my investment if I was a RIM stockholder..
    12-29-08 03:57 PM
    Hopefully it'll lower prices of apps as well, as some of them are ridiculously overpriced (compared to iPhone apps).
    12-29-08 08:16 PM
    I think a RIM app store could do a lot of good for them.

if the follow the model of the apple appstore then they will take 10% of the sales and will provide a basic level of assurance that the app works and does what it claims.

It also would provide a central location for new users to find new apps and it will give app developers a prime window to their market.

I don't see how this is a bad idea - they just have to execute it well so it succeeds.

12-29-08 08:39 PM
    You gotta keep up with the competition...

Indeed. Otherwise, you fall behind, then what?
    12-29-08 08:42 PM
    . All the strippers I go out with seem to be the marrying type, don't know why. I happen to like the Pocket Express "News of the Wierd." The army parachutist who was blown off course, not hurt, but destroying two tubas is my favorite.
    Last edited by capedcrusader; 12-30-08 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong place
    12-30-08 04:26 PM
    Can't wait for the app store from RIM. Love the CB app store though
    12-30-08 04:29 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD