View Poll Results: Would you buy this app?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 68.85%
  • No

19 31.15%
08-06-09 10:25 PM
162 1234 ...
tools
    Will do.

I will save the MMS stuff until last, I know how to display text just not that stuff. But it can be done, I'm sure.
    08-19-08 02:40 PM
    The camera has the option of saving pics to the memory card. I don't know why you can't have the option in messaging to pick a database file on the memory card instead of the device memory. Seems like all you would have to do is add that option. Of course, I'm not a programmer, so I have no idea how to accomplish that.
    08-19-08 03:12 PM
    I'm guessing it is done this way for a number of reasons.

Security, it is easy to get the database from a memory card.

Volatility, you can format or lose a memory card.

Practicality, not everyone has a memory card so why worry about it?

There were probably other reasons they used to justify how the apps work, but at least they allow developers to create their own solutions so it's all good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-08 03:23 PM
    STICKY??

this could be an awesome breakthrough
    08-19-08 04:45 PM
    Somebody PM zaventh. He wrote AutoStandby and he keeps updating it. If anybidy can, zaventh can.
    08-19-08 04:55 PM
    I wonder why no one has done this before though, it seems like an obvious app. I'm just worried about hitting a road block once I get started.

Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

08-19-08 05:30 PM
    I want to be able to install applications to the card so I don't have to worry about how many I have.
    08-19-08 07:16 PM
    I doubt that is at all possible. Execution is performed from the on-board memory and I don't think you can change that or someone would have already.

But who knows, I am just speculating here.
    08-19-08 07:48 PM
    I doubt that is at all possible. Execution is performed from the on-board memory and I don't think you can change that or someone would have already.

But who knows, I am just speculating here.
    Actually, it's somewhat possible. There is a "scam" program that promotes it can do that. But in reality all it does is save the .jar file to the memory cad (which you can do with a USB cable) and loads it from the media card. Theoretically, you can switch out apps and manage which ones are installed this way, or not. The problem with the app (other than being a scam for $20) is that the localized settings aren't stored in the media card, they are on the device memory. Bottom line, there's a program that is crap that can't do what RIM should. Don't buy it.

As for this tread, I know that anyone who will put their time into developing this message storage program, will reap the benefits! Obviously, RIM didn't see fit to include it in either the 4.5 or 4.6+ OS's yet, so there will be a BB market! Hit me up if you want a beta tester lol

08-20-08 03:59 AM
    Actually, it's somewhat possible. There is a "scam" program that promotes it can do that. But in reality all it does is save the .jar file to the memory cad (which you can do with a USB cable) and loads it from the media card. Theoretically, you can switch out apps and manage which ones are installed this way, or not. The problem with the app (other than being a scam for $20) is that the localized settings aren't stored in the media card, they are on the device memory. Bottom line, there's a program that is crap that can't do what RIM should. Don't buy it.

As for this tread, I know that anyone who will put their time into developing this message storage program, will reap the benefits! Obviously, RIM didn't see fit to include it in either the 4.5 or 4.6+ OS's yet, so there will be a BB market! Hit me up if you want a beta tester lol

You're exactly right! Whoever can get this program up and running will stand to make a chunk of cash. I know I'd buy it! Count me in for Beta testing too.
    08-20-08 08:10 AM
    You're exactly right! Whoever can get this program up and running will stand to make a chunk of cash. I know I'd buy it! Count me in for Beta testing too.
    +2... I'll beta it as well!!!!!
    08-20-08 01:08 PM
    All that you would have to do is have some sort of interface between the memory card and the device. The hardware is there which means you need the code.....
    08-20-08 01:13 PM
    I guess I could look into Java development if I had to. But I really hope I don't have to.
    I hated Java when I started with it.... but I couldnt quit it and now ive been coding for 4 years on and off....
    08-20-08 01:15 PM
    Although I am not sure about having them stored on the memory card if some one steals it. Maybe encript the message database with another password so they cant get into it?

I think for the BETA lets just not get our berries in a bunch... or stolen
    08-20-08 01:19 PM
    I'm getting excited about this! I sure hope radius comes through for us.
    08-20-08 01:23 PM
    I think I will give this a stab as well. Let me plan this out and then I'll let you know when I can have some one test it.
    08-20-08 01:33 PM
    I think I will give this a stab as well. Let me plan this out and then I'll let you know when I can have some one test it.
    your efforts are well appreciated, and im sure there is more than one person that would pay for this app, myself included, so keep that in mind. thanks again.
    08-20-08 01:34 PM
    This should be a developer's contest. Crackberry.com could give the winner a cool prize.
    08-20-08 01:36 PM
    OK Let me plan this and come up with a time table. Ill see if I can meet and I will give you an update.

Thanks
    L
    08-20-08 01:37 PM
    The one thing I hate most about Java is no templates! I mean come on, why rewrite code with slight differences all the time to do the same thing? I hate that.

And no multiple inheritance, that bugs me also unless you get down and dirty with it. It should be simple and easy.

But that's just my soap box.

As it stands, I am learning what I need now, I just have to read the docs and figure out the API. Then how to build the forms. Yep, I'm starting fresh here.
    08-20-08 01:40 PM
    The one thing I hate most about Java is no templates! I mean come on, why rewrite code with slight differences all the time to do the same thing? I hate that.

And no multiple inheritance, that bugs me also unless you get down and dirty with it. It should be simple and easy.

But that's just my soap box.

As it stands, I am learning what I need now, I just have to read the docs and figure out the API. Then how to build the forms. Yep, I'm starting fresh here.
    Keep up the good work... I am sure the entire CB community is thankful for your efforts.
    08-20-08 01:48 PM
    OK thats fine - its always good to learn something new.

I will also do this incase it takes you longer....

The funny thing is I wonder who is watching this and is rapidly trying to complete without saying anything ......

I know your watching us
    08-20-08 01:48 PM
    OK thats fine - its always good to learn something new.

I will also do this incase it takes you longer....

The funny thing is I wonder who is watching this and is rapidly trying to complete without saying anything ......

I know your watching us
    the great thing about competition is it usually leads to a better product at a cheaper price
    08-20-08 01:50 PM
    How about I recruit half the dev team from work?

They wouldn't do it though, I am the only one with a BB unfortunately. I think I may have converted 2 of them, they are just waiting a couple of months for their old mobile plans to expire.

Then we'll see if I can get some new recruits!
    08-20-08 01:53 PM
    The sad thing is, that this and the app ability I mentioned earlier are already available for WM 6.0+ and Palm's. Why hasn't this even been locally adressed on the next generations of BB? Being that they are coming out with 3+ different models marketed at different customer niches, you'd think RIM would have reached out to one with this. *sighs* Alright, now I feel better...

My question everybody, is it possible for maybe a co-op project from a few of you? Or is it possible for Crackberry to arrange a "Marketing for the Winner" Contest? Anything to seriously get this ball rolling? Because other than silmilar base filing structure, a final project solution shouldn't be too hard to convert over to the Bold should it?

08-20-08 04:06 PM
162 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD