View Poll Results: Would you buy this app?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 68.85%
  • No

19 31.15%
    The sad thing is, that this and the app ability I mentioned earlier are already available for WM 6.0+ and Palm's. Why hasn't this even been locally adressed on the next generations of BB? Being that they are coming out with 3+ different models marketed at different customer niches, you'd think RIM would have reached out to one with this. *sighs* Alright, now I feel better...

My question everybody, is it possible for maybe a co-op project from a few of you? Or is it possible for Crackberry to arrange a "Marketing for the Winner" Contest? Anything to seriously get this ball rolling? Because other than silmilar base filing structure, a final project solution shouldn't be too hard to convert over to the Bold should it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Great Idea! This is a very worthy project... it's not getting the attention it deserves though..
    08-20-08 03:17 PM
    Seriously! It's frustrating because this a next gen logical step; with memory devices' prices lowering and storage abilities exponentially raising... It's even more frustrating because of the potential consumer base for this type of program! Nearly every person with a BB could use this program. Not to mention the next possible step this program could lead to.

08-20-08 03:28 PM
    I agree... This would become an instant must have app.
    08-20-08 03:30 PM
    Any admins looking over this thread? Possibly get a sticky? Or someone running the site possibly get a forward of this for possible productive assessment of this?

08-20-08 03:45 PM
    I recently exchanged emails with Kevin J. Michaluk. He is going to pass this idea on to a few developers he knows.
    08-20-08 03:54 PM
    I recently exchanged emails with Kevin J. Michaluk. He is going to pass this idea on to a few developers he knows.
    Way to start the ball rollin! On the premise of how valuable of a cash cow this program could be, you'd think a programer (or two) would invest in a case of Redbull and a weekend alone and go to town! Lol

08-20-08 04:34 PM
    I am just going to try this as a hobby, nothing more. I do too much serious development as it is to devote a lot of time to it.

But if I come up with anything I'll pass it along.

08-20-08 05:15 PM
    ...Free? lol joking man

08-20-08 05:42 PM
    Hey y'all I'm kinda new here but I'd be willing to lend my scripting services to this project! We could start my setting up a project on SourceForge. I've taken a quick peek into how this could be done and I'd say we cold get a running alpha (with a little help) in about a month. I'd be willing to lay out the framework if someone could crack the database (or how the messages are stored on the BB.)

Someone take lead and I'll fall in behind! pin:31b2059b
    Last edited by TrinaryOC; 08-20-08 at 06:09 PM.
    08-20-08 06:06 PM
    Yes! I love how this finally gaining some momentum! This could potentially become some RIM *crosses fingers* would try to get a hold of and implement into future OS's!

...Sorry everybody, I'm just excited about a possible new and innovative creation...

08-20-08 06:13 PM
    would be great on phones like sidekicks (which require you to pay for their syncing software) but, why waste space on the media card when you can just turn on auto-backup and charge your phone in your computer, backing up only takes a few seconds to a minute
    08-20-08 08:16 PM
    would be great on phones like sidekicks (which require you to pay for their syncing software) but, why waste space on the media card when you can just turn on auto-backup and charge your phone in your computer, backing up only takes a few seconds to a minute
    The point is to have them save to media card so that the device memory is freed up. This would be especially beneficial for pearl users who are limited on space anyway.
    08-21-08 08:03 AM
    Hey team,
    any updates for us?
    08-21-08 02:08 PM
    The point is to have them save to media card so that the device memory is freed up. This would be especially beneficial for pearl users who are limited on space anyway.
    Exactly... Plus this would type of media card use of "archiving" would allow for even quicker duplication for a computer with USB/Bluetooth, similar to the mass storage capabilities we already have. But you nailed it right on by what you said!

08-21-08 02:40 PM
    The other point is being able to access the messages and read them. You cannot easily do that with backups as far as I know.
    08-21-08 03:17 PM
    I doubt this is something available to the general public though. Would be nice however...
    I agree with you.
    08-21-08 03:28 PM
    this would also defeat the security aspects of the blackberry. corporate types send all kinds of email to and from each other, usually containing sensitive business information. to prevent the possibility of this information being leaked, RIM designed the Blackberry to save to the device and disallow it to be transferred to the memory card to eliminate the possibility of sensitive data being lifted from the device simply by stealing the memory card.

it may be a feature that's of interest to you, joe consumer, or fred smallbusinessowner, and for that there are many other great devices out on the market to suit your needs. but for business consumers who need a secure communication device, the Blackberry was produced.

this is why the new Blackberry platform features up to 1GB of internal device memory.
    08-21-08 07:50 PM
    this would also defeat the security aspects of the blackberry. corporate types send all kinds of email to and from each other, usually containing sensitive business information. to prevent the possibility of this information being leaked, RIM designed the Blackberry to save to the device and disallow it to be transferred to the memory card to eliminate the possibility of sensitive data being lifted from the device simply by stealing the memory card.

it may be a feature that's of interest to you, joe consumer, or fred smallbusinessowner, and for that there are many other great devices out on the market to suit your needs. but for business consumers who need a secure communication device, the Blackberry was produced.

this is why the new Blackberry platform features up to 1GB of internal device memory.
    I understand RIM's theory behind the way they coded the device. This is why we are trying to solve via 3rd party app. Hey corporate america, pay no attention to what we are trying to accomplish here... Us "joe consumers" just like toys
    08-22-08 07:12 AM

Well, you may be right on one thing... I doubt the IT guys will let you run this on BES. And I think that's all you were right on. This is posted in "3rd Party Applications" not "RIM innovations", where you should have posted. We are trying to develope a consumer product, much like themes and games (not everyone has to buy it). Please do not enter into a forum trying to stimulate/formulate ideas for something new, with your negative nancy attitude bud. Save that for an iPhone area!

*Any updates guys???

08-22-08 01:28 PM
    Well, you may be right on one thing... I doubt the IT guys will let you run this on BES. And I think that's all you were right on. This is posted in "3rd Party Applications" not "RIM innovations", where you should have posted. We are trying to develope a consumer product, much like themes and games (not everyone has to buy it). Please do not enter into a forum trying to stimulate/formulate ideas for something new, with your negative nancy attitude bud. Save that for an iPhone area!

*Any updates guys???

well said!
    08-22-08 01:33 PM
    well said!
    Thank you. And your posts have been great too!

*The lack of any updates probably means there's 50 programmers typing like crazy to get us a stable beta asap... lol

08-22-08 02:24 PM
    Any updates guys? Is this idea dead?
    08-25-08 03:28 PM
    It may be a good idea.But i don't support that using too many 3rd party tools.
    08-25-08 03:32 PM
    Any updates from the possible developers?

09-02-08 03:24 AM
    And any possible developer contests?

09-02-08 03:25 AM
162 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD