Hi folks! Decided to pick up a Torch today after weeks of research, and I really like the phone - but I'm running into issues with Google Apps.

My company uses google for hosted mail, calendars, contacts, basically all collaboration. I've got syncing working with mail using the gmail functionality built into the Torch, but I'm not seeing synchronization - meaning, when I read something on the Torch, no change to the status on my Webmail. Same thing the other way (though deletes do work properly).

Also, I notice that it looks like no mail that hit prior to my activation are actually on the BBerry either - is that expected?

Finally, I've found that I need to load Google Sync and run it in manual mode to get the calendar to sync.

Needless to say these are pretty important capabilities to me, as I'm on the road 90% of the tie or more. From some searches, I can find older posts relating to the gmail sync being an issue, and same for calendar / google sync, but I'm wondering if these may be resolved somehow and I just haven't found the posts.

Apologies in advance if this is considered clutter - I love the concept of the Torch but if it can't reliably handle my specific needs, I'm not sure it's a good decision to keep it, so I'm hoping someone can point me toward some workarounds or fixes?

Thanks in advance!
    09-29-10 06:10 PM
    The sync should be working but gmal and y! have these issues from time to time. Try doing a manual reconcile. As far as previous emails not being on your BB, that is expected. You only get what arrives after service books are sent. As for the calendar and contacts syncing do you have those options selected on the BIS website or under email setup from the device?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-10 06:34 PM
    Thanks for the response.

As for the calendar / contacts question you raised: I have the sync enabled for contacts in the email account. There is no option for calendar sync with a gmail account (apparently) which led me to the Google Sync solution. I can live with the calendar issue, I suppose - it's inconvenient but not a gamebreaker for me.

Bigger issue for me though, is the mail not getting marked as read / unread. It's been 18 hours on some of these, and no change. I know, I've read that it can take up to six hours (which in and of itself is ridiculous, given the nature of email communications) but at this point I am way out of the six hour window and still no joy.

So far I have tried doing a 'reconcile now' but nothing has changed. Several times at various points, to be honest.
    I originally had conflict resolution set to 'server wins' but tried changing that to 'handheld wins'. Still no change.
    I tried deleting and recreating my account on the Torch, hoping I could maybe manually configure something (maybe as an IMAP4 account rather than GMail, for example, or point to ActiveSync utilization, as on my old phone) but basically the Torch is 'too smart' for that, checking the email address and correctly configuring to use Google as the mailhost.
    I've rebooted a few times, hoping it would kick off a sync. No joy.
    I've fiddled around with various other settings on the email account as well, but no luck there either.
    Finally, I've verified mobile support is enabled for our Google Apps domain, and also that both IMAP and POP are enabled and supported on my mailbox settings. (Which they were, otherwise I wouldn't have been downloading mail at all).

So I'm at a bit of a loss. As I understand it, this SHOULD work, and apparently is working for others, but it's a big issue for me.
    09-30-10 09:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD