we just got 2 new BB Pearl 8130s. We got them on the last day from Alltel, and I think we are now officially Verizon customers.

while mine is fine, wifey's battery lasts only about 10 hrs. However, I do think it has to do with her being at work in a rural area known to have bad signal and inside an office bldg.
    I also found several apps running on her bb: she had just hit the red "hang up" button after opening an app and not closing it by going to menu and hitting "close".
    so..i hope those are the reasons that her battery lasts a lot less than mine does.. she did say that on the day she was off (and stayed home) her battery didn't drain that fast.

I have done closed all the apps i thought were running on hers.
    however, idk how to close google maps completely. when I hit close and then click on the app again, the US map still comes up as the start screen...is that how it really starts?? have i really closed it all the way?

Also which screen should the browser start from?
    how do i know it;s not on an active web site. (in other words, if I have closed it completely, which start screen should it show? and how do i achieve it?)
    any help is appreciated .
    Thanks.
    07-14-09 10:32 PM
    The browser will open at the history and bookmarks page. to close google maps hit the menu button and select exit towards the bottom of the drop down menu. GPS running in the backround will kill battery life
    07-14-09 10:35 PM
    to close google maps hit the menu button and select exit towards the bottom of the drop down menu. GPS running in the backround will kill battery life
    Thanks;
    I hit menu button while on google maps, and i don't see an "exit" to choose; i only see "close"; is that what you meant?
    I hit that but when i came back to google maps it showed the US map, which made me think it was still running...

however: after I hit "close", I hit alt and esc buttons, and google maps did not show up on that list of active apps, so perhaps I did close it after all ????
    Last edited by Washburn69; 07-14-09 at 11:42 PM.
    07-14-09 11:25 PM
    Thanks;
    I hit menu button while on google maps, and i don't see an "exit" to choose; i only see "close"; is that what you meant?
    I hit that but when i came back to google maps it showed the US map, which made me think it was still running...

however: after I hit "close", I hit alt and esc buttons, and google maps did not show up on that list of active apps, so perhaps I did close it after all ????
    If I remember right, the full US map is the default view when you open it. And (correct me if I'm wrong) but if it's not in the list of active apps, then it's not running.
    07-15-09 02:27 AM
    Thanks.
    while i am waiting to see how her battery behaves when she's home on the wk-end, I'd like to know about the "battery pull" trick:

so I just take the battery out while the Pearl is ON right?
    and wait about 30-40 sec's?
    and put it back.

can ANY data/settings go missing when i do the battery pull? what precautions do i need to take?
    what changes can i expect to see where i'd have to go back and reset something to the way it was b4 the pull?
    or does the battery pull just reboot the phone to the way it was?

Thanks a lot; as I am a newb, just wanna know what to expect just in case I need to do the battery pull trick.
    Last edited by Washburn69; 07-15-09 at 07:34 AM.
    07-15-09 07:30 AM
    I've never had any issues with losing data or settings when I do a battery pull. You can download a program called softreset that essentially is a battery pull without doing it physically.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 08:56 AM
    Thanks.
    while i am waiting to see how her battery behaves when she's home on the wk-end, I'd like to know about the "battery pull" trick:

so I just take the battery out while the Pearl is ON right?
    and wait about 30-40 sec's?
    and put it back.

can ANY data/settings go missing when i do the battery pull? what precautions do i need to take?
    what changes can i expect to see where i'd have to go back and reset something to the way it was b4 the pull?
    or does the battery pull just reboot the phone to the way it was?

Thanks a lot; as I am a newb, just wanna know what to expect just in case I need to do the battery pull trick.
    youve got the procedure right, leave it on, pull the battery, wait at least 30 seconds.

you will need to do the battery pull on occasion, im pretty sure everyone does. its just like a pc i guess, every once in a while, it just need to be rebooted. but when you pull the battery you shouldnt lose anything unless you have a program running and are in the middle of something, say writing a memo. if its not saved, i think it will be lost. other than that, you shouldnt have to worry about losing/resetting anything.

im betting youre right about your wifes battery life. im in ms and sometimes while traveling , the coverage is spotty. also the office i work in has terrible reception. my battery will last about 2 days on the weekend if i just sit at home but during the week, i have to charge it every night.

cjjeffers is right about the browser, it opens on the "go to" page with your bookmarks and recent history.

as for google maps, i dont use that app so im assuming JYMATS is correct, it sounds logical.
    Last edited by RobotnumberOne; 07-15-09 at 10:07 AM.
    07-15-09 10:01 AM
    Thanks guys/gals.
    I am gonna monitor my wife's BBp and see how it performs today after i closed the many app's that she had running...
    i am not very hopeful though: i really think it's due to her work area being remote and her being in an office building so that the radio has to search for signal all the time...

but we'll see; if it's not the problem (have to wait till she has an off day to verify) then I might do a battery pull, and then if THAT doesn't work, i am gonna swap our batteries to eliminate/determine her battery is the cause...(my battery is great)
    only after that will i go to alltel/verizon.

Also, although I haven't stored anything big on my phone, i only have 4.4 mb of file free...
    perhaps I also need a battery pull?
    i do have some pics that i can delete, but no messages, but still have all the app's that came loaded...

any further tips are most welcome..

PS: just saw that it has some chinese/korean characters under applications; i think i will delete them;
    "?": does the BBp reboot every single time i delete an app like that?
    I saw that many suggested deleting BB "demo video"; I never saw such a thing under applications. where do i find that? (just wanna delete it)
    Last edited by Washburn69; 07-15-09 at 10:18 AM.
    07-15-09 10:09 AM

Also, although I haven't stored anything big on my phone, i only have 4.4 mb of file free...
    perhaps I also need a battery pull?
    i do have some pics that i can delete, but no messages, but still have all the app's that came loaded...

any further tips are most welcome..
    id recommend it. normally i run about 5-9 mb filefree and my phone works well. i hear anything below 5 (or in some cases people say as high as 12) and youre phone will lag alot.

there are a few good threads about memory optimization, i couldnt find any on the fly. but a couple things you can do are a battery pull, delete your memory cache in your web browser (web browser>BB button>options>cache operations>clear all) and you can run your memory cleanup, cant remember how to get to that.
    07-15-09 10:22 AM
    only some apps require rebooting to completely uninstall.

not sure about the demo video tho.
    07-15-09 10:34 AM
    thanks;

when i click "cache operations" it gives me a screen with "content cache" , "pushed content" and "cookie cache";
    all of these have an individual "clear" button and shows how big they are. (content cache is biggest).

Shall I clear ALL 3 of these? or just the "content cache"?

(Robot:
    it did not have a "clear all" option when "cache op's" was clicked.
    just the 3 separate lists as I described above)
    07-15-09 10:39 AM
    actually i dont have a clear all option either, i was reciting from memory.
    but i always clear everything and that seems to clear up the most space for me out of all the other options. so i would recommend you clear everthing.

just this morning, i cleared my cache and did a battery pull and went from around 9 mb file free to about 15 so both of those options make a big difference.

also, here's one of the memory optimization threads, you can probably learn alot more here then from me.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    07-15-09 10:59 AM
    I cleared cache and cookies, and now file free went from 4.4 to 6 mb !!! great!
    However, i wasn't sure about the "pushed content"...it kinda scared me...
    are you sure that part is also ok to delete?

haven't done battery pull yet:
    yep i am a wimp wanna wait till wifey gets home so we have another BB in case battery pull screws something up
    07-15-09 11:43 AM
    im sure its fine to delete pushed content, i do it all the time and nothing ever happens to my phone.

battery pull should work fine, you probably dont have anything to worry about. i understand your paranoia tho, im the same way. always better safe than sorry.

if you have your DM (desktop manager) setup on your pc/laptop, you can back up the phone that way before you do anything you're hesitant about. i highly recommend backing up your phone once a month or so in case something ever happens.
    07-15-09 12:13 PM
    Thanks...for the good advice and patience; I have the desktop manager already installed on my laptop, but still didn't try connecting the BBp to it...

I am still baffled that i can't find that BB demo video under options>applications etc... wonder if newer BBPs came without it ??
    It's simply called "Blackberry sample video", huh?
    Last edited by Washburn69; 07-15-09 at 12:36 PM.
    07-15-09 12:32 PM
    i really dont know. i got my phone secondhand from my dad and he changed a few things. he may have already deleted it but i dont remember ever having a sample video on my phone.

maybe someone else did?
    07-15-09 01:10 PM
    it's mentioned everywhee; on forums by all kinds of people and on all Pearl specific tutorials on freeing memory (it's one of the top suggestions for freeing mem), incl. the one that you suggested...
    So idk why i don't see it...
    07-15-09 01:29 PM
    hmmm... i guess i never paid attention because i never had it on my phone. im pretty new here too, i just got my phone in late may. im hoping someone else will jump in here and help out too.
    07-15-09 02:30 PM
    now my phone suddenly went from 1XEV to 1xev.
    Browser no worky. I'm still in the same location I always was and this is the 1st time in happened.
    Same with wifey's phone: happened at roughly the same time.
    turned phone off/on : no change.

did a battery pull; no change; still 1xev
    (but gained 6 MB on file free!! (so now I have 12 MB file free - yay!))

turned off all connections and turned them on again - no luck.

what other things can i do before calling CS?
    I was former alltel customer: all service on phone are Alltel, but i think we should call Verizon now.

EDIT: just tried the "turn all connections off/on" again and both phones just went to 1XEV again. !!! yay!

btw: i looked in the media ---> videos---> all videos ---> it says NO VIDEOS ;
    so i guess ours really didn't come with this sample video ...
    07-15-09 05:32 PM
    i also have no videos and cant remember ever having any (you need to have a micro sd card for video with our phones) so maybe it was for a different model you read about? i dont know...

as far as the connection goes, im willing to bet it was your carrier. sometimes, very rarely i admit, my phone loses internet connectivity. the phone and sms and, as far as i can tell, every other function still works properly but i cant connect to the internet. i know this is the provider because ill talk to my parents or sister (who all have the same carrier in the same state) say they were having problems too. of course if i am correct, the span of the outage would depend on your service provider. mine are normally very short.

and for the battery pull... i hate to say i told you so. j/k!
    im glad you dove in and tried it because now you know its safe and it really does free up alot of memory. id say easily half of the problems with our phones can be fixed with a battery pull. its definitely the first step you should take if you have any kind of issue.

anyway, welcome to CB! hope i was able to help. if you have any more questions, i can almost guarantee youll find an answer here.
    Last edited by RobotnumberOne; 07-15-09 at 11:26 PM.
    07-15-09 11:24 PM
    Thanks a lot for everything, Robot.
    so you think that it was pure co-incidence that the data service went back to normal when I turned all connections off and on again? on both phones? ( well i guess if it was coincidence it would be for both phones anyway, right? meaning that alltel just got their act together, which will affect all phones at the same time.. hehe.)
    It is possible, I guess... i wish i had waited a bit before doing the "all connections" thing 2x

Oh well, if it ever happens again, i will monitor and see if it comes back on its own.

Thanks again.
    07-16-09 10:16 AM
    hey i have a "?"
    if i change my yahoo password , is it gonna affect email push on balckberry (it's already set up in BB)
    07-16-09 12:18 PM
    Thanks a lot for everything, Robot.
    so you think that it was pure co-incidence that the data service went back to normal when I turned all connections off and on again? on both phones? ( well i guess if it was coincidence it would be for both phones anyway, right? meaning that alltel just got their act together, which will affect all phones at the same time.. hehe.)
    It is possible, I guess... i wish i had waited a bit before doing the "all connections" thing 2x

Oh well, if it ever happens again, i will monitor and see if it comes back on its own.

Thanks again.
    i am assuming this is the case, it could have been something to do with the phone/software. heck of a coincidence tho huh?
    hey i have a "?"
    if i change my yahoo password , is it gonna affect email push on balckberry (it's already set up in BB)
    this i am not sure about but i think it should be fine. i did not personally set up my email, my service provider offered to do it for me when i got the phone. if there is a problem you could always set up the email again. PITA i know but if you need to change your password, you gotta do it.
    07-16-09 01:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD