BBSSH 1.1.7 now available - marc paradise

It's becoming very useful. Marc has put a lot of time into making BBSSH work like an SSH client should. He's constantly updating it, so there are always good fixes/features being added. Head on over to that first link & let him know what you think so far.

I believe it's compatible with almost any BB device & (i think)OS 4.6+
    Last edited by webmastir; 04-29-10 at 06:54 AM.
    03-31-10 10:27 AM
    thanks, i'm going to get a lot of use out of this app
    03-31-10 10:58 AM
    Notice: unsupported SSH version: 1

I was so excited to have something I could actually use, midpssh on the storm is a horrorshow and isn't updated anymore, it will take 20-40 seconds for the screen to rerender from portrait to landscape. Ah well.

edit: it appears both apps are from the same developer. No wonder neither appears to work!
    Last edited by l.a.rossmann; 03-31-10 at 11:02 PM.
    03-31-10 10:57 PM
    04-01-10 01:25 AM
    Notice: unsupported SSH version: 1

I was so excited to have something I could actually use, midpssh on the storm is a horrorshow and isn't updated anymore, it will take 20-40 seconds for the screen to rerender from portrait to landscape. Ah well.

edit: it appears both apps are from the same developer. No wonder neither appears to work!
    didn't know he made midpssh too? i thought i remember him saying he just took the source & has been building/changing from that. edit: he didn't make midpssh, just fyi
    also, SSH1 – do you use it? - marc paradise
    he did ask to see how many people utilized that option. if i were you, i'd post on his blog & let him know you do use v1. although, do you mind if i ask why? not many people still use the vuln ssh v1..

Thanks. I just noticed he had to take it down for the following reason (fixed ota in o.p. too):
    "A critical bug was found in 1.1.6. If you are encountering a problem wherein a short time after you have connected successfully, you receive this message: “Notice: Index >= 30″ followed by a disconnect, the 1.1.60 update will correct this problem."
    Last edited by webmastir; 04-01-10 at 09:06 AM.
    04-01-10 06:32 AM
    Nice, now I just need to set up my server at home so I can access it with this...
    04-01-10 09:02 AM
    pader-sync.com
    04-01-10 09:15 AM
    pader-sync.com
    Any idea how this compares to BBSSH?
    04-01-10 09:18 AM
    ^ not free though
    04-01-10 09:18 AM
    Yes, it is free and it's really nice. There are a few minor things I would change but I haven't had time to get a list together for the developer. He's very responsive and makes a good product. I bought a couple of licenses to support the guy anyway. After the trial the automatic sync feature is disabled unless you license the product. That is like having rsync between your phone and wherever you're SSHing to. It works great for keeping directory trees the same on both sides.

I haven't compared it to anything else except PuttySSH (on Nokia). It's not a direct comparison because my BB has a keyboard and the Nokia I used PuttySSH on is a touch screen.
    Last edited by F0nage; 04-01-10 at 09:43 AM.
    04-01-10 09:34 AM
    didn't know he made midpssh too? i thought i remember him saying he just took the source & has been building/changing from that. edit: he didn't make midpssh, just fyi
    also, SSH1 – do you use it? - marc paradise
    he did ask to see how many people utilized that option. if i were you, i'd post on his blog & let him know you do use v1. although, do you mind if i ask why? not many people still use the vuln ssh v1..

Thanks. I just noticed he had to take it down for the following reason (fixed ota in o.p. too):
    "A critical bug was found in 1.1.6. If you are encountering a problem wherein a short time after you have connected successfully, you receive this message: “Notice: Index >= 30″ followed by a disconnect, the 1.1.60 update will correct this problem."
    Both of the shells I log into use it.

I can log into it on a six year old mac, on my gentoo linux machine, using putty on my PC, and on a friend's droid, but not using this program. I never even knew there was an SSH 1 & SSH 2 until this program didn't allow me to login to my shell with either option. Changing my shell provider because one app can't log into it is not practical.
    04-01-10 11:46 AM
    Any idea how this compares to BBSSH?
    From my experience, on a storm, this software is 100% useless. Like lots of bberry software, they totally ignored the idea of making sure a $30 app would work with a common blackberry.
    04-01-10 11:48 AM
    This app my work great for me to access my mysql databases.

However, I see no way to change the port number. My host makes me use port 2222 for SSH access.

Any way to make this work?

I attempted to put :2222 at end of the hostname.

If says connecting...then OK.

But I get a not connected error on the negotiating...
    Last edited by UPEngineer; 04-01-10 at 01:13 PM.
    04-01-10 01:10 PM
    This app my work great for me to access my mysql databases.

However, I see no way to change the port number. My host makes me use port 2222 for SSH access.

Any way to make this work?
    ya. you can just append a :2222 to the end of your hostname
    (i.e: Hostname: my.host.com:2222)
    04-01-10 01:12 PM
    I tried that as I edited my original post.

I get Connecting.....OK

Then as it starts Negotiating I get an error "Notice: Not connected" and then a message about bytes in and out.

I will mess with it some more. Any ideas?
    04-01-10 01:21 PM
    oh i see it now, well...if i remember right, you may have some trouble b/c of your carrier? meaning, i think i saw other us celluar users having to adjust their APN setting...can't remember exactly why though.

to enable APN settings: Options > Advanced Options > TCP/IP.

may or may not have anything to do w/ your problem
    04-01-10 01:30 PM
    been looking for a free ssh client. Finally found one . Thank you!
    04-09-10 11:40 AM
    been looking for a free ssh client. Finally found one . Thank you!
    np. if you have time, throw a post on his blog(Marc's) & thank him that way..
    BBSSH 1.1.60 alpha now available (oops) - marc paradise
    04-09-10 11:48 AM
    pader-sync.com
    just fyi to future onlookers. padersync no longer offers free version of any of their products. luckily, they do provide a trial, unlike many devs.

BBSSH is just a free alt that works.
    04-21-10 02:19 PM
    for those of you who care, i updated the o.p. w/ a link to latest version, v1.1.7
    04-29-10 06:54 AM
    Is it possible to update this app for the Storm/Storm2 phones for touch screen use?
    04-29-10 09:32 AM
    does it not work on the storm? i've read some posts on his blog about people using it on their storms
    04-29-10 10:26 AM
    It works on the Storms, but it is clumsy because it is working as if I have a none touch screen device. It is working as if I have a scroll wheel instead. It would be nice to have the app also written to work using true touch screen devices.
    04-29-10 01:55 PM
    aww...ya, i'd leave a post on his blog asking for it. doesn't hurt to try
    04-29-10 02:04 PM
    Catching up a bit late here on BBSSH posts, but I do plan on adding specific Storm support before this summer.
    05-06-10 11:48 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD