There was another thread posted here recently with a few people asking for this application so here it is.

Not all applications come with an option to automatically be launched when the device starts up. This app will let you let you select apps that you want to be started up automatically.

Start Me Up launches on system start up then launches the apps you have selected and then closes.

The usage is pretty straight forward, for an app to show up in the list of apps that can be started automatically it must be running in the background. So launch the app and then hit the Red End Call key and run Start Me Up.

There is an option for delay start up, some applications (such as WeatherBug in my testing) require the network to be running or it will give an error, the delay is how long Start Me Up should wait before running the applications.

One other note, Start Me Up will attempt to launch the applications in the background, but some apps request the foreground when launched.

EDIT: I have figured out a work around for applications that try to take the foreground, they may flash on screen for a split second but then will be sent to the background.

If you find any bugs please post back here so I can fix them.

http://software.crackberry.com/product.asp?id=33933

Ps. I am not responsible if a certain Rolling Stones song gets stuck in your head after using this application, it was stuck in mine all afternoon while writing this app!

EDIT: Just one thing I noticed on my device (9000 5.0.0.100), is that after saving settings if I reboot right away, even tho the app has requested the settings to be save the BB OS does not commit the settings to permanent memory immediately, it seems like it just caches it in RAM for a few seconds before writting it. So Im not sure if this is an issue with the beta OS Im running, but the solution is simple if it does happen, just wait about 30 seconds after saving to reboot if you are going to test right away.
    Last edited by Shao128; 07-30-09 at 10:22 AM.
    07-29-09 03:47 PM
    Fantastic. Have it loaded and am testing it now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 03:54 PM
    Wow man, what a great idea....nice work!
    07-29-09 03:56 PM
    Cool, just installed it and it seems to be working fine. Gonna give it a reboot and see what happens!

Edit: Works great! I always forget to restart �bertwitter after a reboot, this will help.
    Last edited by K-Pock; 07-29-09 at 04:08 PM.
    07-29-09 03:58 PM
    Ubertwitter and beejive are the two apps that I want started on reboot. Ubertwitter worked fine. Beejive started, but failed to connect to the network. Bumped up the startup delay time and am trying again.

Update: Changed the Startup Delay to 30 seconds and both Beejive and ubertwitter work great.

Fantastic work Shao128. I for one really appreciate this app.
    Last edited by brinky; 07-29-09 at 04:25 PM. Reason: did more testing.
    07-29-09 04:19 PM
    Work for the Storm?
    07-29-09 04:29 PM
    Hey, anyway to REMOVE items that now load automatically?

MSDict loads at startup. I would prefer it NOT.
    07-29-09 04:34 PM
    cool app!!!!
    07-29-09 04:35 PM
    Savvy!!! :P

PS - I lost you a few weeks back and I couldnt find you
    07-29-09 04:36 PM
    Shao do you sleep lol? You keep rolling out these great apps. Thanks for your hard work.

07-29-09 04:36 PM
    Work for the Storm?
    It should, I tested in the simulator, I can't see any reason it shouldn't

Hey, anyway to REMOVE items that now load automatically?
    MSDict loads at startup. I would prefer it NOT.
    Unfortunately if an app is programmed to start itself there isn't really away for another app to close it.

Savvy!!! :P

PS - I lost you a few weeks back and I couldnt find you
    Haha, you stalking me? :P Shoot me a pm.

Shao do you sleep lol? You keep rolling out these great apps. Thanks for your hard work.
    Sleep? Never heard of it lol
    07-29-09 05:26 PM
    Awesome, Shao!

I'm gonna download this now and see if it'll work to start up my "BuzzMe" app after a QuickPull.

Thanks!
    07-29-09 05:40 PM
    This app is amazing! Thank you!
    07-29-09 05:52 PM
    Sweet action. I've been wanting to use QuickPull but having to restart apps that I'd like to leave running has prevented me from doing so. But now I can.

A couple things, though:

I konw you mentioned this in the op, but I'd rather the gmail app not come to the foreground when it's started. It's sound like this impossible, though. Is there really no way to have it start up but stay in the background?

I did a reset, and when Ubertwitter restarted, it gave me an alert for new tweets. But when I opened it, there weren't any; I had already read all the tweets prior to the reset. Any idea wassup with this?

And I know QuickPull isn't your app, but since I'm new to it, I just want to ask - will having it scheduled to do a reset overnight mess up my alarm if I have it set to go off in the morning?

Thanks for the great app.

07-29-09 06:50 PM
    Oooh! Will definitely be trying this guy out later tonight. THANK YOU!

07-29-09 06:52 PM
    Nice app man, well done.

Some feedback:

I couldn't really tell when was 'start up' i.e just before the screens dims after rebooting is complete or ..?

I only tested WeatherBug since all the other apps that I use auto start anyway. I kept getting 'Failed to Connect' message on: 8 (default), 15 and 30 sec. but succes on 60 sec.

And like you said..I think WB is one of those app that will maximise to the foreground when triggered by the app. For me that's not needed as WB will update its home icon automatically without being run at all.

In a nutshell, and from the above experiment, I think startup delay should be > 30 sec. for those apps that need some type of data connection.

Hope this helps.
    07-29-09 06:54 PM
    I konw you mentioned this in the op, but I'd rather the gmail app not come to the foreground when it's started. It's sound like this impossible, though. Is there really no way to have it start up but stay in the background?

I did a reset, and when Ubertwitter restarted, it gave me an alert for new tweets. But when I opened it, there weren't any; I had already read all the tweets prior to the reset. Any idea wassup with this?

And I know QuickPull isn't your app, but since I'm new to it, I just want to ask - will having it scheduled to do a reset overnight mess up my alarm if I have it set to go off in the morning?
    I'll look into sending apps to the background, but Im not sure if its possible.

Not sure why ubertwitter did that for you, all Start Me Up does is launch the apps and nothing else.

I haven't used quickpull before, so Id say just try it out and see what happens.
    07-29-09 07:08 PM
    I couldn't really tell when was 'start up' i.e just before the screens dims after rebooting is complete or ..?

I only tested WeatherBug since all the other apps that I use auto start anyway. I kept getting 'Failed to Connect' message on: 8 (default), 15 and 30 sec. but succes on 60 sec.

And like you said..I think WB is one of those app that will maximise to the foreground when triggered by the app. For me that's not needed as WB will update its home icon automatically without being run at all.

In a nutshell, and from the above experiment, I think startup delay should be > 30 sec. for those apps that need some type of data connection.
    Its a little tough to say when the OS will launch the automatic start up apps, it does happen before the system is finished booting (before the carrier logo shows up). Each device will be different depending on the OS and what other apps are scheduled to start. On my phone an delay of 18 seconds is enough for weatherbug to work. Thats why I added the option in there so each person and figure out what works for them.

While I was typing this post I think I figured out a way to have apps that show up on screen go to the background, going to go code it now, I'll be back shortly with an update
    07-29-09 07:13 PM
    I figured out a way to prevent apps for staying on screen. During start up the may flash very quickly on screen but are then sent to the background, the updated version is the same as in the first link in my original post.
    07-29-09 07:54 PM
    This is awesome!

I had been trying to decide what to do about my "BuzzMe" app since it must be turned on manually each time I do a QuickPull (which is every night). Then I came across this!

Tried it twice using a manual "QuickPull" and it works great! Don't have to have the BuzzMe app set to my home screen anymore or have to turn it on every morning anymore.

So far BuzzMe is the only app I need this for, so I can't comment on how it works with anything else, but it works great for BuzzMe.

Thanks for the great app!

07-29-09 08:03 PM
    Downloading as we speak. You're the dude! Thanks.
    07-29-09 08:03 PM
    i as well needed this for UberTwitter and BeeJive!! YAYAYAY!
    07-29-09 08:29 PM
    I figured out a way to prevent apps for staying on screen. During start up the may flash very quickly on screen but are then sent to the background, the updated version is the same as in the first link in my original post.
    I am having an issue,.... even when I press "refresh apps" BeeJive and many others are not showing up? Any reason why?

Nevermind.... i realized it has to be running in the backround
    Last edited by Meldiane; 07-29-09 at 08:33 PM. Reason: im a dummy
    07-29-09 08:31 PM
    Ubertwitter and beejive are the two apps that I want started on reboot. Ubertwitter worked fine. Beejive started, but failed to connect to the network. Bumped up the startup delay time and am trying again.

Update: Changed the Startup Delay to 30 seconds and both Beejive and ubertwitter work great.

Fantastic work Shao128. I for one really appreciate this app.
    Hey there.... how did you get BeeJive to work? I cant see it when I go to choose apps and even when I refresh.....
    07-29-09 08:49 PM
    works great for the gmail app.

Thanks, this rocks.
    07-30-09 09:48 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD