Hi everyone,

We've updated the FlyCast 2.0 Beta posted about 3 weeks ago, this one is very close to final. Here's some changes:

1) Storm supports both landscape and portrait mode now.
    2) Station caching is optional, although I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't use it.
    3) New Twitter interface added. Tweet a song and it will post a link to the song on your Twitter feed that any user can click on to be taken directly to that station on FlyCast to hear it.
    4) 8900 is supported
    5) Much more stable

BTW - we use a burst caching methodology to get hours of stations onto your device in minutes (saving data connection charges and reducing the dependency on a continuous connection). When you select a station you want to listen to, try selecting the FlyBack 2 Hours icon. Over WiFi or a real good 3G connection, you'll cache stations at about 10x real-time. To verify this, watch the little yellow/green "cache indicator" line at the bottom of the player fly by. Once it turns green, that part of the stream is completely cached and you can jump to the next part of the stream. Try caching an hour (should take about 5-10 minutes with a good connection) and then stop playback. Go to My Stuff/Recordings and you'll see 1 hour of that station cached on your device. Now listen to it. Since the data connection is now closed, battery life is greatly increased, perhaps as much as 3-5x vs. real-time streaming.

Station caching is free in the beta app, at least until the final version ships to App World. Streaming will always be free, and there will be a small one-time charge for the caching option.

Please delete the old version as completely as possible before getting the new version. As always, constructive feedback is truly appreciated. Use the FlyCast forums Here.

Download the Beta Here.

Some pictures are also included.

FCJ
    Last edited by FlyCastJoe; 06-22-09 at 08:46 PM. Reason: additions
    06-22-09 07:36 PM
    FCJ,

Thanks for the update. Giving it a try right now.
    06-23-09 07:12 AM
    Interesting, just may have to check this out, thanks for the info.
    06-23-09 07:15 AM
    Got it working. Initially was getting the annoying situation where it would give me enough time to enter my password before flipping back to the sign in screen even when I actually got the password in. A QuickPull fixed it.

I don't see the FlyBack 2 Hours Icon anywhere after selecting the station I want to play.
    06-23-09 08:01 AM
    Look at the screen and you should see three FlyCast icons to the left of the current "live" icon (album cover art for songs, FlyCast icon for talk). Mouseball or thumb over to these. The 1st one is FlyBack 1/2 hour, 2nd is one hour, 3rd is 2 hours. Click on them and you are taken back in time for that stream. Very useful for talk programming that you might have come in late on and for Burst Caching music stations.

FCJ
    06-24-09 11:05 AM
    Thanks. I found it last night. I was looking for an icon somewhere on the screen.
    06-24-09 05:24 PM
    Thanks for the update.

Hope it's more stable
    06-24-09 06:51 PM
    I downloaded the new beta today, and it seems quite a bit more stable.. and it looks great. I am excited to listen tomorrow at work and see how it does. I couldn't even get a station to play with the old version of FlyCast. It just buffered all day long. But so far this version is working, and I'd say it buffers an average of 10 seconds before playing a live stream. That's great, if it stays that way.

The only negative thing I can say so far is that it locked up a couple times today and I had to do a reboot. Still, not complaining..
    06-24-09 08:11 PM
    Installed it, ran it with 3g,

Did this auto connection detect thing but didn't have shoutcast search.

So I rebooted flycast, then the search came back but took ages to load anythin (the data arrows didn't move either).

Finally after a few tries of searching and when I tried to play, phone rebooted itself.

(the no results bug is still there, I search the same word four times and it finally appeared on the results)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 08:18 PM
    Installed it, ran it with 3g,

Did this auto connection detect thing but didn't have shoutcast search.

So I rebooted flycast, then the search came back but took ages to load anythin (the data arrows didn't move either).

Finally after a few tries of searching and when I tried to play, phone rebooted itself.

(the no results bug is still there, I search the same word four times and it finally appeared on the results)

Where is the link, I clicked on the link that is in the first post of this thread, it takes me to a site that says type this link into your browser on your device, nevermind I just figured it out. Thanks for indulging me all I had to do was to look. Some people's kids! Carry on!
    06-24-09 08:44 PM
    Trying it out. I loved the first version of Flycast
    The Japanese channel was awesome, even if it was only J-Pop.
    06-24-09 10:38 PM
    I love it!Awesome update!
    Btw,i don't think that it's a bug but don;t you guys hear some noises while playing (surely due to compression or transmission).But good job, def. a good buy when final!
    06-25-09 01:44 AM
    It sucks. Takes forever to buffer and keeps resetting my Bold. Going back to the real deal

06-25-09 08:28 AM
    It sucks. Takes forever to buffer and keeps resetting my Bold. Going back to the real deal

Real useful post there bud.
    Instead of just saying "it sucks", why not add all your specific details such as what OS you are running, what you are doing when it resets, etc etc, and look for some helpful guidance. Because I'm telling you right now, Flycast on my own Bold right here in my hands at this moment is working flawlessly.
    06-25-09 04:49 PM
    Instead of just saying "it sucks", why not add all your specific details such as what OS you are running, what you are doing when it resets, etc etc, and look for some helpful guidance. Because I'm telling you right now, Flycast on my own Bold right here in my hands at this moment is working flawlessly.
    As I said in my thread, constructive criticism is welcome

Continuous buffering is a result of a poor connection, almost always. Good results so far, but we do have one more release/update coming, very stable. More Japanese content coming.

FCJ
    06-26-09 08:58 AM
    Ok, so it doesn't work on my phone. The regular Flycast program works fine for me and so are my other radio apps. This is the only one that doesn't work right. It's not my phone it's the app itself. It's a beta so there will be a chance that it doesn't work on other phones. It just happens to be mine. I'm skipping it. Just wanted to let other people know so they won't be disappointed.
    06-26-09 09:28 AM
    Hi,

Would the stations applicable only on US?

THanks
    06-26-09 09:33 AM
    More Japanese content coming.

FCJ
    Ahh, awesome! Thank you so much!

Ok, so it doesn't work on my phone. The regular Flycast program works fine for me and so are my other radio apps. This is the only one that doesn't work right. It's not my phone it's the app itself. It's a beta so there will be a chance that it doesn't work on other phones. It just happens to be mine. I'm skipping it. Just wanted to let other people know so they won't be disappointed.
    I see, okay then. Sorry for being a bit rude, in that case.
    06-26-09 12:38 PM
    Hey FCJ,

First off, I really enjoy Fly Cast and really enjoy your product. I'm on a Storm so I've only been able to use FC in it's beta form (the first one from a few weeks back and I downloaded the new one today). A question I have is... When I hit the "pause" button on the streaming screen (not from the BB menu) and then go back to hit play a few minutes later, the radio generally loops back to the beginning of the stream block that I'm listening to. That would be fine but I can't get the FF or Rew buttons to work either so I can't skip ahead to where I was. I either have to listen to what I've already heard (granted it's a max of 15 minutes, but still ) or move on to the next stream block. I tried using the pause button from the BB menu and while it doesn't start me off at the beginning, it begins playing somewhere - not sure where really - within that block.

Secondly, I've had issues on both betas of where the I won't stop the stream and it will loop itself back about 3-5 minutes and I'll hear the same thing over.

Finally, is most of what you listen to real time? The only reason why I ask is because if I tune into shows I might get repeats from years ago. Are you at the mercy of what the station you're broadcasting provides you or does FC do it's own station programming?

Thanks in advance and again keep up the awesome work. I love the concept of this app!
    06-26-09 06:09 PM
    I installed it on my Bold, OS .266...It worked well the first couple times I used it (over wifi); then the last two times I attempted to use it, it would buffer the station, the player would display for a couple seconds, then my phone would reboot. I'll give it another try when the next version is released.
    06-27-09 02:27 PM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silkshocker

Not sure what the "Real Deal" is but there is validity to buffer and reset issues on numerous Bolds in my environment. Although this is Beta and some aspects work quite well I find it hard to believe It works "flawlessly" for anyone. My view is FlyCast is an exceptional product in an aggressive state of development which may be presenting the 2.0 version as a bit more stable than it truly is. I do not believe a user can be guided through setup to prevent an application from crashing. 2.0 is really quite fantastic but in my view there are truly issues to be addressed which are not within the users control. Perhaps the only disappointment is that some who are having difficulties are 'guided' down the road of Reloads and Reboots; sure, basic stuff but ultimately a waste of time and feeds frustration.
    06-27-09 08:10 PM
    Quote:

Not sure what the "Real Deal" is but there is validity to buffer and reset issues on numerous Bolds in my environment. Although this is Beta and some aspects work quite well I find it hard to believe It works "flawlessly" for anyone. My view is FlyCast is an exceptional product in an aggressive state of development which may be presenting the 2.0 version as a bit more stable than it truly is. I do not believe a user can be guided through setup to prevent an application from crashing. 2.0 is really quite fantastic but in my view there are truly issues to be addressed which are not within the users control. Perhaps the only disappointment is that some who are having difficulties are 'guided' down the road of Reloads and Reboots; sure, basic stuff but ultimately a waste of time and feeds frustration.
    Lol, look, I don't know about yours or anyone else's Bolds having Flycast problems or not - I'm just saying, I have a Bold from AT&T, I'm running OS .216 East Asia, I have Flycast 2.0 beta #whatever (is posted here), and I have not had one single "reset" using flycast, nor any buffering problems. I'm not saying your problems don't exist - I'm just saying they don't exist on my device at all. Then again, perhaps I'm not attempting to do whatever you're attempting to do when you receive a problem with it? I don't know. I've only used it for listening to some stations like "Japan-A-Radio" and "Loveline" (haha ), and some more experimental ones for me to see if I'll like them or not, such as "Chinese Classical", etc. My phone will buffer at the beginning after selecting a station, yes, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to - it only lasts like ten seconds at most maybe.

I just want the Flycast team to know that while maybe they have a lot of Bold complaints, don't get discouraged, because I'm one case where it's working juuuust dandily.
    06-27-09 08:50 PM
    Observations.

2.0 is an evolution of the application. A primary function of the app is to optimize buffering and a cache mechanism for enhanced playback. These features are quite exceptional and fantastic but have yet to be reliably functional and worse crash the device repeatedly. I believe FlyCast will contend for the best app available but it most certainly will not be with the current 'BETA' version. The fact that some features work well does not make this (2.0) a stable app. There are problems independant of users and devices which will not be resolved with reboot and reload. A true test is based on the full feature set and not merely on the functionality of the previous version. 1.34 works better than 2.0.
    - FlyCast has been an oustanding app and I expect 2.0 will soon shine.
    06-28-09 01:00 PM
    Nice !

going to check it out
    06-28-09 01:03 PM
    Quote:

the real deal is the non beta version 1.34. It works just fine for me
    06-28-09 01:38 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD