So, I'll get up tomorrow morning and order the new Tour which will be my first BB. I'm currently using a HTC Mogul SmartPhone. My question is about Apps. I know there's an App Store for BlackBerry, but I can't access until I actually own one.

While I'm waiting, I need some suggestions on Apps.

I NEED to be able to view Microsoft Office documents as well as PDFs. I would LIKE to be able to edit or create them.

I spend a lot of time on the train, so I'll need some entertainment. I also own a Kindle and would love to read ebooks right on my BB like the iPhone has.

For work, I use Facebook, Twitter and Blogger so if there's an app to make access to those easier, that would be great.

I also like to listen to talk radio. I think there's a way to listen to any CBS affiliate stations on a BB as well as Major League Baseball games...am I right?

Other than that, I'm open to all other suggestions. Please recommend some apps for me and give me an idea of what they cost.

Thanks for helping the newbie!!!
    Last edited by CorvetteDave; 07-11-09 at 09:14 AM.
    07-11-09 09:00 AM
    I've been using mobipocket for reading ebooks on my XV6800, and their phone application is compatible with BB as well as WinMo.
    07-11-09 09:10 AM
    See the "1st 5 apps" thread on this forum. It's awesome!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-09 09:23 AM
    See the "1st 5 apps" thread on this forum. It's awesome!

I was looking at that, but most people were only posting the names of the apps. Since I'm new, I have no idea what those apps do! I need someone to give me the names of apps that would work for me and what they do.
    07-11-09 09:31 AM
    Here's a little bit of info that I hope can help.

Documents To Go, included in the software, will let you view and edit Word documents. It cannot create them, although I think an upgrade to a Pro version allows that. PDF's are viewable, I believe, only if they are received in an email, and not if you've manually saved it to the SD card. There are paid programs out there that are good for PDF's, however.

There's a Facebook app available directly from RIM, and a ton of other free apps for Twitter. I'm not sure about Blogger. At minimum, you can access all of these from the web browser. Facebook and Twitter have pretty nice mobile interfaces (some prefer it to the apps). Blogger may or may not be mobile oriented, but even if a little cumbersome on the full site, it should still work.

moodio.fm (a website) is a good way to listen to many non-clearchannel terrestrial radio stations. I've used that to listen to Pittsburgh hockey and football games since I don't live there anymore. If you can find a radio partner station for whatever team you want to listen to, it should be easy; if it's not clearchannel. There may be other, easier, ways to listen also, just saying I know this works.
    07-11-09 09:40 AM
    I was looking at that, but most people were only posting the names of the apps. Since I'm new, I have no idea what those apps do! I need someone to give me the names of apps that would work for me and what they do.

You are not limited to just the BlackBerry App store to buy apps

THIS site has an App store, go look at the apps you need

WITH your new Blackberry it will have Doc2Go which is a program that will allow you to view and edit Word/Excel and Powerpoint documents, if you want to upgrade it for 70 dollars you can create documents, BUT to get around that you just save a blank document on your device. and open that every time you want to create new, then save it as what ever you like.
    07-11-09 09:42 AM
    MobiPocket was already recommended for reading books on your Blackberry, but eReader also has a BB compatible reader now, too. (both free)

Ubertwitter for tweeting(?). Facebook app for Facebook. Can't help with blogging. (both free)

For entertainment, PodTrapper is awesome for scheduling and downloading podcasts. It's not free but it's a great program and if you listen to podcasts, I think this is definitely the way to go.

Viigo for a great all-around RSS feed/weather/etc. (free)

You can watch movies on your BB. Check out Videos4blackberry

Don't forget to sync your music over. My BB has replaced my iPod.
    07-11-09 10:04 AM
    Some good advice so far...

As far as MobiReader and eReader...how do I get the eBooks from my Amazon account to the BB? Do these programs read or convert the Kindle format?
    07-11-09 10:15 AM
    I heard the that you can only save apps to the 256 mb on board memory. How many apps could you fit on there without decreasing your processor speed? The tour is my first BB and I can't wait!!

07-11-09 10:51 AM
    may i suggest ubertwitter (its a twitter app for the bb) i currently use it and love it..I have tried other twitter apps for bb's and this one is by far my favorite..

Also pandora is a great app...It allows for streaming music from the web..

You should search for apps in the forums, as many of them give descriptions about the apps and what the do.. Also search the crackberry store..There are a lot of apps broken down my category and each has a detailed description
    07-11-09 11:13 AM
    I have a Curve and running a gazillion things. Tour will handle everything recommended here and more. Without issue.

OP...getting Kindle format to bb might be an issue. I don't think that they are compatible. There are a lot of idiosyncracies with the DRM on the various file types.

07-11-09 12:29 PM
    anyone ever try MLB radio via BB?
    07-11-09 06:58 PM
    one more question - in looking at apps, most dont list the Tour as an option - should I skip these until they have a Tour version out there or is the 8xxx version OK to load on a tour...
    07-11-09 07:14 PM
    I just want to say thank you for asking all my questions... I will most likely be switching from long time Winmobile user to BB with the Tour.... coming currently from Diamond. I have been curious about just these things.. however I did already reassure myself that I can read my books since I currentlyuse fictionwise for purchase and mobipocket for reading.
    07-11-09 07:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD