Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Hello,

I finally picked up my first Blackberry (Tour) and finally registered to this site after lurking for a while. I'm still learning about all the features but have a question regarding apps.

1) Are apps a one-time use/install per device or can they be used again?

2) Are apps universal for all BBs or are they model specific? I'm looking to buy a BB Curve for my wife and if I paid to download an app from this site for my Tour, can I then install it on my wife's BB as well?

Thanks in advance.
    10-16-09 02:24 PM
    1) Normally they can be used on ONE device at a time.
    Most apps register via the PIN and no two phones have
    the same PIN. If you purchase through AppWorld, MobiHand,
    etc you can request a new code when you change devices.

2) No. Not always.
    10-16-09 02:32 PM
    Welcome to CB! Congrats on your Tour! Now:

1. Apps that you pay (unless there is a monthly service charge to use the app) are a one time pay only. For example, if you go to the CrackBerry App Store and purchase BerryBuzz, you have to pay the $5 only one time to get the application for your device. Apps like SmartGuard (I think that's what it's called, can't particulary remember) have a monthly/yearly charge associated with it. 99% of the apps you will come in contact with are of the former variety, one time pay. They can almost always be transferred if you upgrade/downgrade to a different BB, you will probably just need to go to the website and get a new registration number to go with the new device pin.

2. Generally, most of the apps are universal if they are listed to work with both your device, and your wife's... that being said, if the app that you purchase is PIN specific, meaning you get a registration code from the app developer/company that you have to enter upon app startup, then you won't be able to download one app and use it on both phones... just doesn't work that way. For example, I purchased BerryBuzz for my Curve, I can't load the same copy I used for my Curve onto my GF's Pearl, I had to purchase the app a second time, and enter her PIN at time of purchase to get a second registration code in order to use the app. Just figure 1 app = 1 phone, 2 apps = 2 phones... etc.
    10-16-09 02:32 PM
    Welcome to the world of Crackberry. There is no going back now. Lol

1. If an app Is free then you can just download it per device. If it is a paid app then its usually locked to a device via each devices unique pin number. You will have to pay again for a different device.

2. Most apps are universal however you must download the correct OS version for the handset you have. Some apps are for storm only as they rely on the touch screen.

I hope that helps a little.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-09 02:33 PM
    Hello,

I finally picked up my first Blackberry (Tour) and finally registered to this site after lurking for a while. I'm still learning about all the features but have a question regarding apps.

1) Are apps a one-time use/install per device or can they be used again?

2) Are apps universal for all BBs or are they model specific? I'm looking to buy a BB Curve for my wife and if I paid to download an app from this site for my Tour, can I then install it on my wife's BB as well?

Thanks in advance.
    OK first I would like to say congrats on your new BlackBerry. The tour is a great choice. From my experience most paid Apps are a one time use on one device install. If you would like to install on another you may have to pay for it again. How ever there are some that can be moved from one device to another. To answer your second question. If an App is device specific it will say for STORM only or NOT COMPATIBLE WITH TOUR for example. I hope this helps.
    10-16-09 02:36 PM
    Here's a list of free OTA apps you can download from your BB browser...

http://m.crackberry.com/otaapps.html
    10-16-09 02:42 PM
    Thank you for all your replies. Just 2 more questions:

1) Is the BB OS the same for all service providers (ie the apps work for all BBs)? I used to have a WM phone and the ROMs were carrier specific.

2) What are some must have apps for the BB? From browsing the site, there seems to be a ton of apps to choose from.
    10-16-09 02:44 PM
    1. The BB OS is the same for a particular line of devices... for example, your Tour runs a version of the 4.7 OS, therfore, any version of 4.7 that is made for use in the Tour you may use, but it has to be the version for the Tour itself. The Storm also runs 4.7, but you can't use the 4.7 that the Storm uses on your Tour, you dig?
    The Curve is a little different (83xx model). In the beginning, they were released with 4.3, and since that time, 4.5 has been released for the 83xx series Curve.
    Also, the BB OS is the same for all service providers, sort of. Say you download a copy of the Verizon 4.7 OS for your Tour, because it is a newer build of that OS (4.7.0.100 as opposed to 4.7.0.50 hypothetically), what you'll have to do is after download, you will have to locate what's called the "Vendor.xml" file and delete it. This file holds the carrier specific data for the OS. Once deleted, you can load said OS onto your Tour, and it should work without a hitch!
    One more thing to throw at you. There are a ton of leaked 5.0 OS threads on here, and like I said above, if you were to decide to load one of these, you have to make sure it's the 5.0 that is built for the Tour... You can't use the Storm 5.0 on your Tour.

2. It all depends on what you want! If you like sports, I reccomend ScoreMobile. You use Facebook alot, download the Facebook app. BerryBuzz allows you to change the color of the LED notifications, BerryWeather is a fantastic weather app. You pretty much have to just search around and read descriptions of the different apps and try them out!
    Last edited by elvin1983; 10-16-09 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Because the way I had it worded originally was confusing...
    10-16-09 02:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD