For anyone else interested, I haven't been able to get the BB AIM app to work. Using net_rim_bb_qm_aim results in uncaught exception and net_rim_bb_qm_aim_resource_en didn't do anything at all (figures since it's only the language stuff).
    05-26-08 12:05 PM
    I think that I'd like the Buttons to be in TWO columns - of course, that would involve scrolling left/right as well as up/down.
    05-26-08 12:26 PM
    I would too. I'd be fine with all the buttons the same width in a regular grid even if it meant I had to use shorter names to fit.
    05-26-08 02:25 PM
    ok but when you have as many buttons as icons on the home-screen then whats the point of using LaunchPads?
    But I will think about it.
    The new version will have quick-keys, that means that when you are in the LaunchPads-Application and press the "A"-Key, it starts the addressbook with a new entry, or the "N"-Key starts the calendar with a new event, or the M-Key for new memo, and T-Key for new Task.
    B-Key for bluetooth panel and c-key for calculator.

Will be released soon.
    05-29-08 12:34 PM
    I see your point if the buttons only launch apps, but even then the buttons are bigger, easier to see and would still highlight "the next 20 most frequently used apps" that aren't already on the theme or convenience keys. Plus, LaunchPads is a popup on top of the current app which means you don't have to switch to the icon screen and then get back.

But let's not forget the most unique aspect - the ability to launch web links, text messages, and phone calls. Generally speaking, you can't create icons to do any of those so LaunchPads provides an easy way to do that.

You could always do phone calls via the Speed list, so that's another option for calls at least. Speaking of which, is there any way for LaunchPads to link into that so that we could do press-and-hold <letter> to launch apps? That would be really nice - I wish RIM had that feature.
    05-29-08 01:08 PM
    A new version of LaunchPads is availible!

New features:

In the main screen of the application, press the following buttons for fast actions:
    A � create new address book entry
    B � open the bluetooth profile
    N � create new calendar entry
    C � launch Calculator
    M � create new Memo
    S � open the default message folder
    T � create new task

I find this feature very usefull because now you don't have to change into the single PIM-Applications to create new Tasks/Contacts/Events...!
    05-31-08 06:11 AM
    A new version of LaunchPads is availible!

New features:

In the main screen of the application, press the following buttons for fast actions:
    A � create new address book entry
    B � open the bluetooth profile
    N � create new calendar entry
    C � launch Calculator
    M � create new Memo
    S � open the default message folder
    T � create new task

I find this feature very usefull because now you don't have to change into the single PIM-Applications to create new Tasks/Contacts/Events...!
    Fabian, you are incredible! I upgraded immediately when I was notified of this new version. At first I was worried because I thought this upgraded version would replace all the other buttons, changing the application dramatically. Not so!! Not only do I have the quick launch for all the other features ie. browser, camera, notes, web pages, etc., but I also have these new shortcut options as well!

I especially like this because I have enabled dialing from the home page, which means I can't assign the letters for quick launch from there (I hope that makes sense). Anyway... Thank you! Thank you!! I can't wait to see what you come up with on the next application. This one is tweaked to the max! Nothing left to improve!
    05-31-08 09:33 AM
    I see your point if the buttons only launch apps, but even then the buttons are bigger, easier to see and would still highlight "the next 20 most frequently used apps" that aren't already on the theme or convenience keys. Plus, LaunchPads is a popup on top of the current app which means you don't have to switch to the icon screen and then get back.

But let's not forget the most unique aspect - the ability to launch web links, text messages, and phone calls. Generally speaking, you can't create icons to do any of those so LaunchPads provides an easy way to do that.

You could always do phone calls via the Speed list, so that's another option for calls at least. Speaking of which, is there any way for LaunchPads to link into that so that we could do press-and-hold <letter> to launch apps? That would be really nice - I wish RIM had that feature.
    Oh... I forgot one more thing. Thanks to you, tomvb2000 for your great idea about using the letters as quick launches!
    05-31-08 09:38 AM
    Sound great, I will check this out.
    05-31-08 09:44 AM
    Fabian, you are incredible! I upgraded immediately when I was notified of this new version. At first I was worried because I thought this upgraded version would replace all the other buttons, changing the application dramatically. Not so!! Not only do I have the quick launch for all the other features ie. browser, camera, notes, web pages, etc., but I also have these new shortcut options as well!

I especially like this because I have enabled dialing from the home page, which means I can't assign the letters for quick launch from there (I hope that makes sense). Anyway... Thank you! Thank you!! I can't wait to see what you come up with on the next application. This one is tweaked to the max! Nothing left to improve!
    How do you upgrade. I only see a puchase option and not a version to download???
    05-31-08 10:08 AM
    You should've already received an email from the CB store telling you how, but just in case:

1. Go to BlackBerry Software My Account - Crackberry Store
    2. Login with the email and password you used when you purchased LaunchPads (not necessarily the same as your forum email/pwd)
    3. Click on the "Download" link under the LaunchPads row
    4. A new page will open with options to download to PC/Mac, or send installation SMS or email
    5. Select the OTA download link from the SMS/email and you're done.
    05-31-08 12:05 PM
    Aha. I purchased from Handango. But it appears that they have the older version when I just attempted to download it again.
    05-31-08 12:38 PM
    BBA - thanks for the new features! I really like them and believe they will be useful. Could I suggest:
    1. Adding the Quick Keys to the help text
    2. It'd be really nice if the Quick Keys were configurable, but how about some new ones to cover other stock BB apps?:
    W - (Web) Browser
    P - (pictures) Media player
    H - BB Help
    V - Voice Notes
    O - BB Options
    L - Lock
    K - Password Keeper
    3. Is there any way for LaunchPads to keep the existing button defs when installing a new version? The new features are worth entering it all in again, but it would be nice if we didn't have to.

Thanks again - this app just keeps getting better and better. For your benefit, I hope more people purchase it and enjoy it like we do.
    05-31-08 12:39 PM
    Aha. I purchased from Handango. But it appears that they have the older version when I just attempted to download it again.
    Forgot it was available there too. Hopefully the 1.4 version will be there soon.

BBA - that reminds me of two things. The CB store download file and Options->Applications->savenow say it is v1.3 but when running the app, About says v1.4. Why is the app module called "savenow" anyway?
    05-31-08 12:44 PM
    1. savenow is just a prename for the app, it only installs through this name if it is OTA. pretty weird. i will work on that!
    for all the users who bought it through the mobihand network (CB store and so on) please try to redownload the OTA file, it should be called launch_pads now!
    Please try it and report back.

2. thank you all for the feature-requests! i think that in v1.5 i will let the user choose what key will do what (new address, task, search...)!

3. version 1.4 is not yet availible via handango, but will be soon

4. please dont call be BBA, just call me fabian
    05-31-08 01:01 PM
    fabian ,

Thanks! Any thoughts or plans for adding:
    - 2 column 8 row table for buttons?
    - picking modules from the Applications list?
    - menu_>Preferences->save closes app instead of going back to the table
    - reordering button numbers?

It's my understanding that RIM hasn't provided a complete API, so I'm not sure how hard some of this is, but it would definitely be useful. I'm very tempted to brush up on java and try some dev of my own. If I only had time...
    05-31-08 01:16 PM
    I purchased this but can't download it again... When I choose to download from my pinstack acount, nothing happens. The module installs but not the app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-08 11:08 AM
    what do you mean by "the module installs but not the app"?
    do you install it OTA or desktop manager?
    06-01-08 11:15 AM
    what do you mean by "the module installs but not the app"?
    do you install it OTA or desktop manager?
    Got your mail, thanks!!!
    06-01-08 02:48 PM
    I'm still hoping to see the upgrade on the Handango site. Maybe the weekend has backed them up.
    06-01-08 07:09 PM
    Fabian, I really don't think it is necessary. You have plenty of testimonials about the usefulness of LaunchPads. Also, the only thing anyone needs to convince them if they need it is if they want shortcuts to programs. Easy question... obvious answer! However, it is totally up to you if you want to offer a trial version.
    Someone asked if a trial would be available. The developer of this app asked people who are currently using it if there should be a trial, and those people said NO! What they said boiled down to their word should basically be good enough. Wow! What's that... like 3 people/4 tops?

Interestingly enough, the only people, to the best of my reading ability, who have been able to comment on this app are the ones who said NO! Please tell me, and anyone else curious to know, how this makes any sense?

I would rather the experience I use with any app be my own and not the experience of someone else using it. That being said, if a trial was offered, you'd be giving others the benefit of your program. If they like it, they'd buy it.

But I'm sorry, I'm not going to put out money on a program that the only way if I'll know if it works for ME is based on what someone else, without my phone, or the apps I run on it, has to say about how it performs for them.
    06-01-08 07:23 PM
    I am one of the people who recommends the app even without a trial version (see my post 21). I'll admit I like the whole idea of this program and because of it, thought the risk of $6 was worth taking.

Fair enough that you feel otherwise. I respect that opinion and now Fabian has at least one person specifically asking for a trial version to help drive his decision. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a trial version for anyone else uncertain.
    06-02-08 01:14 PM
    I am one of the people who recommends the app even without a trial version (see my post 21). I'll admit I like the whole idea of this program and because of it, thought the risk of $6 was worth taking.

Fair enough that you feel otherwise. I respect that opinion and now Fabian has at least one person specifically asking for a trial version to help drive his decision. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a trial version for anyone else uncertain.
    I get what you're saying. I'm not one of those people who trip out about cost; the money wasn't the factor.

What bothered me about those that said NO is the fact that I've read so many post(s) in which people were ripped into because they didn't TRY the software first; and I'm sure I'm not the only one that's read those posts either. And now, its ok to NOT try it first based on a tiny few that have had the option of using it.

Any app worth it's salt ought to offer a trial version. As I have with other BB software- I liked it, it worked well, I paid for it.
    06-02-08 03:43 PM
    I get what you're saying. I'm not one of those people who trip out about cost; the money wasn't the factor.

What bothered me about those that said NO is the fact that I've read so many post(s) in which people were ripped into because they didn't TRY the software first; and I'm sure I'm not the only one that's read those posts either. And now, its ok to NOT try it first based on a tiny few that have had the option of using it.

Any app worth it's salt ought to offer a trial version. As I have with other BB software- I liked it, it worked well, I paid for it.
    ScandaLeX, you are totally right about this actually. There is no reason why there is no demo-version. Just to test if it runs on the device... maybe with only one button or so.

-Fabian
    06-02-08 04:09 PM
    ScandaLeX, you are totally right about this actually. There is no reason why there is no demo-version. Just to test if it runs on the device... maybe with only one button or so.

-Fabian
    Whats wrong with providing a full 7 day version of your app? What do you stand to loose? After 7 days its either going to be bought or not. You truly wouldnt be the first that offers a full trial version for a week.

IMHO, when developers limit the functionality of an app, it is the driving force that stops people from actually getting to use it to its full potential. I dont want to 1/2 way use an app, then after the trial be left to wonder what the rest of it would have been like if only given the chance to use it.

See, thats why i gladly paid $30 for Empower. Once the trial was over, I couldnt imagine going back to plain email. I felt lost without it; so the decision was a no-brainer.

I said it in a different thread, and I'll say it here. I didnt use to pay for software; not for my Treos and not for Window devices. The software out there, and the ways to use it without paying for it, were too easy. Since moving to BB, I enjoy the fact that the BB works very well. It has a few limitations; but not ones that would make me stop using it. For that fact alone, I dont mind paying for good software that allows my day to keep flowing uninterrupted by resets, crashes, and freezing.

If your app is as good as others say it is, then allow us to get to know that ourselves. Word of mouth has its advantages, but for something that I'm going to install on my phone, I need to base my opinion on what it does for me and not what it did for Joe Blow who doesnt use my BB as I have it setup for me.

Thanks Fabian for understanding I have nothing against you at all.
    Last edited by ScandaLeX; 06-02-08 at 05:49 PM.
    06-02-08 05:42 PM
205 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD