Do you always forget to quit the application and leave it in the background running? Do you always wonder how many apps are running in the background?

RunningIcon is a small application which displays the total number of applications running in the background on the Notification area. The Notification area is on the top of the HomeScreen and icons are also displayed on some application title bar.

You can visually and easily see how many applications are running. If you have left applications in the background you can easily open the Application Ribbon eg: press the menu key on the Homescreen to close the application you want.

You can also exclude applications from the list. When there are apps running in the background you will see the icon with the count number. Optionally you can set to vibrate to alert you whenever apps are still running in the background.

Click here for more info RunningIcon - Displays total apps running in the background on the Notification area - Utilities BlackBerry Apps
    01-07-11 11:48 AM
    i love this app! just got it i'm always leaving stuff running on my phone and don't even check..

just a quick suggestion though.. maybe an option to change the icon to whatever you like would be a good option? i'm not expert though!

loving your apps toysoft!
    01-08-11 09:04 AM
    Very handy little app. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-11 11:45 AM
    Downloaded this app today, so far so good, I might put on my wife's torch' she leaves stuff running all the time. Good Job!
    Last edited by Dadymon; 01-08-11 at 11:13 PM.
    01-08-11 08:58 PM
    Anyone experiencing battery drain?

01-08-11 11:13 PM
    What's the difference between RunningIcon and TaskManager(which I have)?
    01-08-11 11:57 PM
    What's the difference between RunningIcon and TaskManager(which I have)?
    RunningIcon only shows apps running in the background. it does not close them.
    01-09-11 01:20 AM
    If you added closing functionality I'll be picking this up for sure bro

01-09-11 09:54 AM

i second that, and i've got the app! lol
    01-09-11 10:01 AM

if the app is made to run in the background there isnt anyway to close the app. I can try to simulate closing the apps.
    01-09-11 11:19 AM
    if the app is made to run in the background there isnt anyway to close the app. I can try to simulate closing the apps.
    Oh, there's no way to use the kill process function that's found in the escreen?
    That's no big deal if there's not, just thought it would be cool.

01-09-11 11:22 AM
    Oh, there's no way to use the kill process function that's found in the escreen?
    That's no big deal if there's not, just thought it would be cool.

correct. on the BBOS there is no such think as "kill process" like Windows or other platform. once the app is put into background mode the only way to quit it is the app itself.
    01-09-11 12:22 PM
    No kill process?

I assume that you mean there is a kill process, but there's no api to use it?
    If you didn't know about the kill process bit, read the engineering screen link in my sig
    01-09-11 12:54 PM
    Not bad! Very interesting! Worth to have a look! Thanks for sharing.
    01-09-11 12:58 PM
    No kill process?

I assume that you mean there is a kill process, but there's no api to use it?
    If you didn't know about the kill process bit, read the engineering screen link in my sig
    this isnt a proper way to do this and i dont think a typical user would do this so i'm staying away from this method.

There is no kill process or app API that developer can use to terminate a running background app.
    01-09-11 02:36 PM
    this isnt a proper way to do this and i dont think a typical user would do this so i'm staying away from this method.

There is no kill process or app API that developer can use to terminate a running background app.
    I figured there wasn't an API for it, but RunningIcon could still be used to shut down running apps that could be closed by opening them and pressing back, right? (for us lazy people ).

What do you mean that this isn't a proper way to do it? Is it different from using force quit on windows? I'm no java dev, so I have no clue.
    01-09-11 10:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD