I've been looking and I don't believe it exist so I was wondering if any one could make an app the allows a google search from the home screen similar to the droid. My idea would be that it would sit at the top of the screen possibly taking the place of a weather app and when you click on it, it doesn't open a new screen just allows you to type in the search then hit enter or a search button. Thank its possible?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by bricegoing; 11-27-09 at 11:44 AM.
    11-27-09 11:30 AM
    I don't think it is.....

11-27-09 12:06 PM
    Any other opinions

11-27-09 02:58 PM
    After seeing this thread I quickly whipped something up. I haven't seen what the search looks like in the droid yet though, just did it based on your description.

Its just a couple minutes of work, but if theres interest I could make it look a little cleaner, add an icon.

Do you have a screenshot of what the search looks like on the droid? I could try to mimic it then.

If you want to try it here's the link (remember it's more of a proof of concept than anything right now) http://wap.shao-soft.com/shao/GoogleIt.jad
    Last edited by Shao128; 11-27-09 at 04:19 PM.
    11-27-09 04:11 PM
    This is very close in fact the only difference is the box stays on at the top of the screen under the banner and its silver ill try to find a screen shot for you but right off the top of your head this is great

11-27-09 04:22 PM
    I found a pic of what it looks like

11-27-09 04:44 PM
    Could you just post the picture here? Thanks.
    11-27-09 05:13 PM
    the voice search could be left out if it was to hard to add that feature in the main idea was the search bar
    11-27-09 05:20 PM
    Shao - very accommodating.

If anyone is interested, Intellilaunch (it does not get much attention compared to Quicklaunch) can be assigned to a convenience key. When it opens, you type letters, say "me" and it will list all apps that start or may contain (in the second part of the name) those letters, like MEMO. When I enter "q" it will show quickpull or quicklaunch. But it also has some other "search" terms. If you type "w paris" it will open wikpedia at an entry for Paris. Or "g paris" and it open google with paris as its search term.
    11-27-09 07:04 PM
    You might want to try the google mobile app. It doesn't use the browser to search. And it also Has voice search. m.google.com
    11-27-09 07:23 PM
    So shao you think you could do something like this?...Love your theme by the way

11-28-09 07:36 AM
    What about the Google Mobile app? It doesn't open the browser, just the app, and it looks like googles homescreen with a search box. Once you search it forwards it to the BB browser. You can also hold down the call button and search by speaking.
    11-28-09 10:52 AM
    Yeah that does the job but I was looking more for something that stays on the homescreen like the droids search bar

11-28-09 03:00 PM
    I had some time yesterday so I finished it up.

Download here: http://wap.shao-soft.com/shao/GoogleIt.jad
    12-01-09 02:05 PM
    This is really nice, I've downloaded and used a couple times. It would be nice if it was just a thin bar and stayed on the home screen though so you didn't even need the icon. I wish it could be incorparated in to some themes as well. If it could be inbeded that would be pretty slick. Guess we'll have to wait for the widget SDK to be put to use for something like that.

Just so you know, in portrait the "Google" logo and the search button get cut off a bit. The Google text is cut off by the search box and the search button is just cut off on the right side.
    Last edited by Asulli; 12-01-09 at 03:29 PM. Reason: left out something
    12-01-09 03:27 PM
    This is really nice, I've downloaded and used a couple times. It would be nice if it was just a thin bar and stayed on the home screen though so you didn't even need the icon. I wish it could be incorparated in to some themes as well. If it could be inbeded that would be pretty slick. Guess we'll have to wait for the widget SDK to be put to use for something like that.

Just so you know, in portrait the "Google" logo and the search button get cut off a bit. The Google text is cut off by the search box and the search button is just cut off on the right side.
    Ya as far as I am aware there isn't a way to make an app act with a widget like behavior and get stay on screen the whole time.

I'll take a look into the other portrait issue. I was actually thinking of developing the app a little further and adding options for more search providers.
    Last edited by Shao128; 12-01-09 at 03:38 PM.
    12-01-09 03:34 PM
    Ya as far as I am aware there isn't a way to make an app act with a widget like behavior and get stay on screen the whole time.

I'll take a look into the other portrait issue. I was actually thinking of developing the app a little further and adding options for more search providers.
    Yeah I think until we see things from the Widget SDK that came out a while back, and the Open GL stuff this is top notch.

I think you should go for it and modify it as you see fit. I'd say start another thread for it though so it doesn't get lost under "new app request". I bet there are more people that would be appreciating it if they knew where to look.
    12-01-09 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD