[EDIT: MyOwnIcons is now released on mobihand & Channels and on App World. This trial is over but you can still read about this app on this thread]

MyOwnIcons is a new app that allows you to create your own icons for BlackBerry Home Screen.

You can specify what those icons should launch, how they should look like, what their name should be, and how they could be launched (Direct Icon Click, from BB Menu, Hot Key from BB Home Screen).

Appreciate any feedback on the app and/or feature request.

I also want to add new features and hopefully someone will help me to test it.

Info About the App:

Home Page

Last edited by Vijik; 09-17-11 at 06:26 AM.
    07-07-11 06:34 AM
    Downloaded.
    Nice app, but for some reason I can't get any icon from web when I click the Get from web key.
    07-07-11 08:45 AM
    Downloaded.
    Nice app, but for some reason I can't get any icon from web when I click the Get from web key.
    To be able to get those icons from myownicons.com web page, you need to have APN settings on your BB set.

APN settings changes depending on the carrier you are on.
    Google "APN is not specified" or look at this page:
    http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_are_the_TCP_and_APN_settings%3F

You don't need this setting for those other methods used to get/create an icon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-11 02:05 PM
    You can set hotkeys for these?!?
    Update: holy crap, BB has needed this app for a long time!
    One thing I would like to see in this app is the text and explanations made more simple (as you should know as a developer, most people with a BB are clueless about how to use a BB).
    As far as function, this app is amazing. Customizable homescreen shortcuts... finally!
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 07-07-11 at 03:39 PM.
    07-07-11 03:32 PM
    Nevermind, made a mistake; all is well.
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 07-07-11 at 04:36 PM.
    07-07-11 03:55 PM
    This is pure genius.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    07-07-11 03:56 PM
    Ok, one other suggestion:
    This one wouldn't need to be done now, but when you release it you should release two versions: the main version, and a (perhaps slightly pricier) version that doesn't require shortcutme to launch apps. I have shortcutme, but I imagine people would be willing to pay an extra buck or two to have the ability to create homescreen hotkeys/icons without the need for having shortcutme installed (people who prefer quicklaunch for example, or don't have shortcutme).
    Just a suggestion. Thanks again!
    i don't have Shortcut Me. It works fine. I click i and it opens Opera Mini..
    Is this.. a glitch..?
    07-07-11 04:05 PM
    You can set hotkeys for these?!?
    Update: holy crap, BB has needed this app for a long time!
    One thing I would like to see in this app is the text and explanations made more simple (as you should know as a developer, most people with a BB are clueless about how to use a BB).
    As far as function, this app is amazing. Customizable homescreen shortcuts... finally!
    Yes, each icon can have its own hot key.

The text in the app could be simplified, agree. I guess I will try to do that in the next rev. Appreciate it if you have specific suggestions for text change (specially any text you think is very far off the map).

07-07-11 04:05 PM
    You don't need ShortcutMe to use this app. MyOwnIcons can launch other apps by itself. In addition to launching other apps, it has its own functions for Compose Email, New task/memo/contact/appointment, etc (a long list).

If you happen to have ShortcutMe, it is capable of launching ShortcutMe and tell it to launch one of your shortcuts in ShortcutMe (this is bonus, not a requirement).
    So, that means again, your MOI icons, are now able to do much more than any other icon including default BB icons.

SCrid2000 likes this.
    07-07-11 04:11 PM
    i don't have Shortcut Me. It works fine. I click i and it opens Opera Mini..
    Is this.. a glitch..?
    No, it is not a glich. It can launch other apps (it even has alternative launching feature that should open apps that doesn't open easily).
    You don't need other apps for this to work.

07-07-11 04:14 PM
    What features are missing in this "light" version?

So.. I have a suggestion.
    There would be several Tiers of pricing. .99 for say.. 5 icons, 1.99 for 10 and 2.99 for 20.
    Shane did it with his InvisIcons.. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to do the same.
    (Optional single Free version)
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-07-11 04:17 PM

There would be several Tiers of pricing. .99 for say.. 5 icons, 1.99 for 10 and 2.99 for 20.
    Shane did it with his InvisIcons.. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to do the same.
    Original idea was Fabian with Iconify.

Another feature request: reset all icons. Also, if it's not there, backup/restore for OS reloads (very important for us hybrid junkies lol)
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 07-07-11 at 06:13 PM.
    PossumPete likes this.
    07-07-11 04:38 PM

Nothing is missing with the light version. It is fully functional (but just for the trial period).
    If more people find it interesting, I will extend the trial period.

Good idea with tiers, but it is just too much overhead to have several versions. My current plan is to increase number of icons for the full version and still keep its price below $2
    07-07-11 05:17 PM
    Just to clarify:

Each icon in MyOwnIcons can be set to launch an application or one of these functions:

• MOI_PIN: Sends PIN message to someone
    • MOI_SMS: Sends PIN message to someone
    • MOI_Call: Calls someone
    • MOI_Email: Emails someone
    • MOI_New_Email: Composes an Email
    • MOI_New_SMS: Composes a SMS
    • MOI_New_PIN: Composes a PIN
    • MOI_New_Tasks: Creates a new Task
    • MOI_New_MemoPad: Creates a new note
    • MOI_New_Calendar: Creates a new appointment
    • MOI_New_AddressBook: Creates a new Contact
    • MOI_Calendar_xxx: Opens Calendar in Agenda, Week, Month, Day view
    • MOI_Browser: Opens a web page
    • MOI_ShortcutMe: Runs a shortcut in ShortcutMe
    07-07-11 05:22 PM
    I just downloaded this app and tested it by creating an icon to launch an SMS to my son.

All I can say is WOW!!!!

You have struck gold here! Excellent! I had no trouble except after choosing an icon from my storage card, I didn't know how to get from one screen to another. After I chose the icon, i lost it several times and had to re-chose until I figured out to CLICK the trackpad and the button that said "pick loaded memory icon" and it positioned the icon in the configuration.

I am very happy. This is a cool app. Thank you!!

Purchased. Thank you!!!!
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 07-07-11 at 05:43 PM.
    07-07-11 05:28 PM
    I just downloaded this app and tested it by creating an icon to launch an SMS to my son.

All I can say is WOW!!!!

You have struck gold here! Excellent! I had no trouble except after choosing an icon from my storage card, I didn't know how to get from one screen to another. After I chose the icon, i lost it several times and had to re-chose until I figured out to CLICK the trackpad and the button that said "pick loaded memory icon" and it positioned the icon in the configuration.

I am very happy. This is a cool app. Thank you!!
    Thanks.

Very good feedback. I will make a new version that prompts you if you want to close Icon Selecting Screen without picking the icon.
    That way, even if you don't know about the "Pick" icons, you will be notified about them.
    Last edited by Vijik; 07-07-11 at 06:04 PM.
    07-07-11 05:47 PM

All I can say is WOW!!!!

You have struck gold here! Excellent!
    I assume you are already aware of that but mention it just in case:
    You can also create a BB Menu or a Hot Key for that icon you have just created.
    07-07-11 06:03 PM
    Nice! I remember an app along these lines a few years ago, but every reboot you lost the customization. This looks sweet! I'll definitely have to play with it this weekend.
    07-07-11 06:50 PM
    I assume you are already aware of that but mention it just in case:
    You can also create a BB Menu or a Hot Key for that icon you have just created.
    Thank you! I am going to try setting up a few of them tonight and if I get stuck, I will ask for help. I hope you don't mind.

Nice! I remember an app along these lines a few years ago, but every reboot you lost the customization. This looks sweet! I'll definitely have to play with it this weekend.
    Wulf, I think I remember the app you're speaking of...I set up 5 shortcut icons and at every reboot, I would lose the pics I set for them. I would have to reload them, in a sense, and set them up again. Very primitive app. But paved the way for this fine one.
    07-07-11 08:14 PM
    This will probably be my last post for the day.
    Can $, 0, and sym be used as hotkeys? Cuz they don't have any function on the homescreen.

07-07-11 10:07 PM
    Thank you! I am going to try setting up a few of them tonight and if I get stuck, I will ask for help. I hope you don't mind.
    I don't mind at all. Feel free to ask and comment.

Wulf, I think I remember the app you're speaking of...I set up 5 shortcut icons and at every reboot, I would lose the pics I set for them. I would have to reload them, in a sense, and set them up again. Very primitive app. But paved the way for this fine one.
    I have tested MOI for a long time and never experienced that it, after a device reset, loose any of the user settings.
    Hopefully you guys can test and confirm it.

Another thing about MOI is that it has a very small footprint (64KB) but it, in the same time, provides many icon images, and it has almost everything that a user might need from a BB Home Screen icon (including Hot Key).
    07-07-11 10:29 PM
    This will probably be my last post for the day.
    Can $, 0, and sym be used as hotkeys? Cuz they don't have any function on the homescreen.
    I don't think so, but I will check it out anyways.

On the other hand, Space key can be used as Hot Key for MOI icons.
    07-07-11 10:31 PM
    A new version of MyOwnIcons, version 1.2.4.0, is now available from the same links in the OP (Original Post) in this thread.

1.2.4.0 addresses what jaydee5799 mentioned in her post:

If you hit ESC key in 'Find an Icon Image' page it will now ask you if you want to go back and pick an image instead.
    07-07-11 10:35 PM
    I input the license code and restarted the app. I successfully created two icons to start with and set them in the menus. When I click on them on the home screen, they open the apps I have set. When I click on them in the system menu, it doesn't do anything. Can you give me some idea what I might have done wrong?
    07-08-11 05:46 AM
    Jaydee5799, I tested System Menu Launching again today but can't find a bug there.
    So, I need to have the same settings as for your icon to find out where the bug is:

Can you tell me what you have set for the following settings:

Launches:
    Parameter for Launched App:
    Alternative Launching:
    Icon Name:
    Home Screen Hot Key:
    Add to System Menu:
    Include This in the Menu Name:

(If you have any personal info in settings, just write what type of info they are.
    e.g. Phone number)

jaydee5799 likes this.
    07-08-11 06:40 AM
132 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD