MediaKeyBooster allows you to assign up to 4 applications (or 4 shortcuts in ShortcutMe) to each of your media keys

Media keys being
    - Volume_Down,
    - Volume_Up,
    - Mute Key,
    - Start/Stop key (on new BB devices like 9900 start/stop key is between volume keys)

MediaKeyBooster runs on BB OS 5 or newer (including BB OS 7).

After you install it, multiple clicking a media key will open the setting for that key (for example if you click Volume_Down key twice and within 1 second, '2 x VolumeDown' setting page opens where you can set it.

You can always open the config page by clicking one of the media keys 5 or more times.

MediaKeyBooster can also stop macros in ShortcutMe (Launches=ShortcutMe, Parameter=stop macro).

This app is now available on online stores (App World, Mobihand & Channels).
    Last edited by Vijik; 11-05-11 at 09:18 PM.
    TomCanuck likes this.
    08-10-11 03:35 PM
    How original...
    08-10-11 03:53 PM
    could you make it disable while media is in use? i like the multi click idea, but.... i do also like using the media keys for controlling media also, dont wish to launch apps everytime i pause or change songs.
    08-10-11 06:07 PM
    How original...
    Shao, this app is a result of request from ShortcutMe macro users.
    An app was needed where users could multiple click a media key to stop the macros in ShortcutMe. And there was no app that could detect and launch apps/functions based on multiple clicking of the media keys.
    08-10-11 06:26 PM
    could you make it disable while media is in use? i like the multi click idea, but.... i do also like using the media keys for controlling media also, dont wish to launch apps everytime i pause or change songs.
    Will do.

Have you tried using it to stop macros in ShortcutMe?
    08-10-11 06:30 PM
    Shao, this app is a result of request from ShortcutMe macro users.
    An app was needed where users could multiple click a media key to stop the macros in ShortcutMe. And there was no app that could detect and launch apps/functions based on multiple clicking of the media keys.
    Fair enough, I wont crap all over your thread anymore, good luck with the app
    Vijik likes this.
    08-10-11 06:32 PM
    lol at the moderators inciting flame wars, whats left for the forums...

Vijik, a function for backing up all settings to the microsd should probably be implemented.

In "info about settings", 'parameter'=stop macro, has to be changed to 'parameter'=stopmacro

There is a bug or just a high waiting time when multiclicking, say for example, launching shortcutme with parameter ek on 1x volumup. The first try works fine, then i close the opened app and go back to the homescreen, then try pressing 1x volumup again, but mediabooster opens saying that 2x volumup is not set up yet (its registering 2x, instead of 1x). If i press again 1x volumup, it opens saying that 3x volumup is not set up yet. Its like there is a counter not resetting, instead it keeps cycling through it, or there is a high delay/waiting time after pressing the keys. Sometimes it even opens up saying that 3x volumup is not set up yet. The same happens with normal apps, i open the first one, close it, then hit the key once again, and it goes to the 2x mode.

On the torch, "mute" function should be the upper right key, instead, it is assigned as "stop" (when selecting the multiclicking key assignments), but the torch has no stop key, just the mute, or at least thats what the drawing on the bezel pictures it as. But then when playing music, that "mute" key, actually stops the playing music instead of muting it, so, you should probably add a note or something within the app for torch owners, since the image on the bezel is of mute, yet it stops music playback and then mutes ring, making it a stop/mute key. In any given case, it works with the "stop" key, and not "mute" when assigning it in mediakeybooster.

Stopmacro function works fine.
    Last edited by gbsn; 08-11-11 at 01:49 AM.
    08-11-11 01:37 AM
    Will do.

Have you tried using it to stop macros in ShortcutMe?
    i cannot test it. the config says shortcutme version 5.5.2.0 is required, i have 5.5.1. will test it when the update finally hits app world for me.
    08-11-11 01:58 AM
    i cannot test it. the config says shortcutme version 5.5.2.0 is required, i have 5.5.1. will test it when the update finally hits app world for me.
    You could also ask vijik for the link to download 5.5.2.0 beta
    08-11-11 02:00 AM
    On the torch, "mute" function should be the upper right key, instead, it is assigned as "stop" (when selecting the multiclicking key assignments), but the torch has no stop key, just the mute, or at least thats what the drawing on the bezel pictures it as. But then when playing music, that "mute" key, actually stops the playing music instead of muting it, so, you should probably add a note or something within the app for torch owners, since the image on the bezel is of mute, yet it stops music playback and then mutes ring, making it a stop/mute key. In any given case, it works with the "stop" key, and not "mute" when assigning it in mediakeybooster.
    Following from this, the "mute" key of mediakeybooster is the lock key on the torch, which i guess is a bug, because the lock key should not be affected by mediakeybooster. Mediakeybooster's "mute" should be the upper right key on the torch and "stop" shouldn't work as there is no stop key.
    Last edited by gbsn; 08-11-11 at 05:23 AM.
    08-11-11 02:29 AM
    I made a new version, 1.1, that will address this.
    In MediaKeyBooster 1.1 each multiple click setting of each media keys can be set to run, or not run, when mediplayer is running.
    For example, you could disable 1xMute key click when mediaplayer is running, while keeping 2xmute key click to still launch something (or disables macros in ShortcutMe).

This way, users can selv decide what they want.

I am still doing some changes, so 1.1 is still not available for download (hopefully this afternoon it will be available on the link in OP)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-11 08:30 AM
    Thank you gbsn for your feedbacks.

The new version, 1.1, has now store/restore function as you requested.

Since this app is supposed to run on any BlackBerry model with any BB OS after 4.3 (including BB OS 7), I had to rename 'Mute' and 'Stop' to 'X1' and 'X2' keys (only Volume keys are common on all BB models since 4 years ago).
    I hope that users with old and new BB models can get used to this naming for media keys other than Volume keys.

I am still working on the counter reset issue you reported. It should be fixed soon.

Good to know that MediaKeyBooster can now stop the macros in ShortcutMe.
    As I said in the other thread, I could not get it to work without running other app than SCM to detect media key clicks.
    I would set 2xMute key click to stop macro in SCM even when media player is running (MediaKeyBooster 1.1 allows to enable/disable. Launching when media player is running).
    That is because usually users don't double click the mute key.

1.1 will hopefully be available on the download link within the next 12 hours.

08-11-11 08:54 AM
    You could also ask vijik for the link to download 5.5.2.0 beta

True. Would you mind providing a link please vijik?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    08-11-11 10:15 AM
    How original...
    ha, the first app came into mind is extrakeys。。。。。。
    08-11-11 11:55 AM
    Wow... Tapatalk failed on that quote reply... Anyways I'm a long time SixTools (ShaoSoft in general) customer, but vijik is correct. SixTools/ExtraKeys can't stop ShortCutMe macros nor supports multi click..

I love me some SixTools but the option of stopping ShortCutMe macros trumps all.
    Last edited by Juggalo20; 08-11-11 at 01:05 PM.
    08-11-11 01:02 PM
    I like this app. I already have an app, deUnblock, that uses the shortcut keys. So the key that I have assigned to deUnblock i also assigned that key to go to the home screen in after the phone unlocks. Very nice. That may not have made much sense but the point I was trying to make is that Mediakey works very well with other shortcut key apps.
    08-11-11 02:23 PM
    MediaKeyBooster 1.1 is ready for download on the beta link in the OP of this thread.

New in 1.1:

1- Added 'Enable/Disable Launching While Media Player' for each of the 16 apps that can be launched by this app using the 4 media keys.

2- gbsn reported a bug: 'Not resetting parameters after a multi click of a key is detected'. This bug should hopefully be removed (please confirm).

3- Media keys are called VolumeDown, VolumeUp, X1 and X2 keys now.
    (Some BB Models have Mute key mapped to X1 and some to X2. Some BBs only have 3 media keys while newer versions have 4 media keys all covered by these 4 key names).

4- Info text "stop macro" is changed to "stopmacro".

5- Store/Restore function of all settings on uSD card (When main Config page is open, hit BB Menu key to access Store/Restore functions).

Please upgrade and let me know if you see any bug, or if you want anything changed/Improved
    08-11-11 03:22 PM
    I forgot to say that the foot print of MediaKeyBooster 1.1 is now 22 KB (up from 18 KB).

Big increase, but still very very small app doing a lot of things (can be setup to launch 16 different apps, it can work side by side with media player, or, some of (or all of) the multi click functions can be disabled when media player is running).
    08-11-11 03:27 PM
    So do you need shortcutme installed to use this?
    I have it but it's not installed, and MediaKeyBooster isn't showing up.
    If that's cuz of a conflict with 6Tools, I'll just have to uninstall mediakeybooster lol.
    08-11-11 07:42 PM
    If that's cuz of a conflict with 6Tools, I'll just have to uninstall mediakeybooster lol.
    No, it doesn't need ShortcutMe to work.
    But if you have ShortcutMe, it can, like MyOwnIcons, directly launch a shortcut in ShortcutMe and stop macros in ShortcutMe.

What happens if you quickly click one of the media keys 5 or more times?

08-11-11 07:59 PM

There's no icon for MediaKeyBooster, to open the config hit any media key (volume down for example) 5 or more times.

vijik: perhaps adding the config to the
    Options -> third party applications
    On OS6 might be something to consider.

08-11-11 07:59 PM
    No, it doesn't need ShortcutMe to work.
    But if you have ShortcutMe, it can, like MyOwnIcons, directly launch a shortcut in ShortcutMe and stop macros in ShortcutMe.

What happens if you quickly click one of the media keys 5 or more times?

There's no icon for MediaKeyBooster, to open the config hit any media key (volume down for example) 5 or more times.

vijik: perhaps adding the config to the
    Options -> third party applications
    On OS6 might be something to consider.

All it's doing is launching the apps I have sixtools set to launch. I'll disable sixtools and see if that makes it work.
    08-11-11 08:02 PM
    Vijik I just wanna say thanks for this app. The multi click of this combined withh shortcutme is absolutely great. Can't wait for it to hit app world or mobihand.

Also can't wait for shortcutme 5.5.2 so I can test out stopmacro.

Thanks again, you do great work.

08-15-11 01:53 AM
    Would you please add the ability to disable when BBM Music is running? And perhaps PodTrapper while you're at it?

If not that's cool..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-03-11 11:51 PM
    Would you please add the ability to disable when BBM Music is running?
    +1 Thanks!
    09-04-11 06:32 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD