I was just txting my Mom, who is in Orlando (I am in NY) on vacation @ Disney with some family...and this idea hit me.

Some may not like the idea, others might...I don't know. Let me just preface by stating that I am a power Apple user, and have been my entire life. Which partially sparked this idea.

Anyway, as some may know, the iPhone currently has an SMS app built in that resembles iChat fir OSX. When you send a new SMS, it opens what resembles an iChat "Instant Message" window. Rather than sending a message, then reverting to the messages list, and having to open and compose a new message to read, and reply - the window remains open like you're sending and receiving an "Instant Message".

I would PAY for an app that would allow you to send and receive SMS messages, with a GUI that simulated an "Instant Message", similar to what iChat, and the iPhone currently does/has.

Now of course, I am also an avid and power CB user as well, and I absolutely love my berry. But as far as productivity is concerned, this type of SMS would cretainly save not only time, but space also!

As you all know, to currently compose an SMS, you have to open a new window, type the message, and then wait for the response in the messages list. Once the response comes in, you open a new window, send the response, and this is repeated over and over again.

Now I know that at least on my 8830, when I open a new message, it does show the last 4-5 messages that were sent/received as part of the message history - but I think it would certainly be ideal to be able to scroll up and down the entire conversation, similar to as if you were Instant Messaging someone on AIM, iChat, ICQ, Trillian, Yahoo!, MSN, etc etc. I'm sure you get the drift.

I'm sure Apple users would appreciate this, but I'm wondering what "everyone else" would think. Would you appreciate something like this? To my knowledge, there isint an app currently out there, or being developed, that would allow this type of interface for SMS use on the BB. But I could be wrong.

I would love to get some feedback on this from everyone else, just out of curiosity. Now just for the record,I am using iChat and the iPhone as examples, to best describe what I am trying to convey. This new app idea for BB would not necessarilly have to look or feel like the iPhone/iChat, but that was the only way I could really describe the type of "Instant Message" type feel I am trying to explain, for use with SMSing on the BlackBerry OS...if that makes sense...lol.

Let me know what you all think!

Michael

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-08 10:27 PM
    You're talking about threaded SMS. I had an iPhone and I was spoiled by it. I can say I do miss it, because I could easily review conversations I was having with others. Surely, it wouldn't be too hard to reorganize the SMS folder, sorted by the destination/recipient? Whoever sent it/you sent stuff to, it'd sort that into one big folder. Even if it didn't show it as one big conversation, sorting it into a folder would be sick.

I can't believe you wrote all that on your phone! Amazing.
    11-29-08 10:33 PM
    I also love threaded msg on my Treo too
    11-29-08 11:58 PM
    Well, I JUST downloaded instango, and it appears that it may do a threaded SMS. I sent a msg to a friend and it got placed in it's own tab, as if it was awaiting her response.

I could be completely wrong though, as I haven't received a response so I don't know.
    11-30-08 12:03 AM
    Ah! Threaded messaging, eh? I had no idea there was a name for this...

And yup, wrote that on my phone in about 5 min...while I was taking a smoke break...lol. I'm super fast with he full keyboard on my 8830, but not so hot on the iPhone touch screen, or the Storm...which is why I think ill never give up the "real" qwerty keyboard. I have an iPod Touch, and I love it don't get me wrong, and use it daily) but I just can't get the hang of the touch screen. Well, let me rephrase...I'm good with it, but not NEARLY as fast as I am with my 8830.

Anyway, threaded SMS....anyone else have some input on this?

QUOTE=yokken;1075027]You're talking about threaded SMS. I had an iPhone and I was spoiled by it. I can say I do miss it, because I could easily review conversations I was having with others. Surely, it wouldn't be too hard to reorganize the SMS folder, sorted by the destination/recipient? Whoever sent it/you sent stuff to, it'd sort that into one big folder. Even if it didn't show it as one big conversation, sorting it into a folder would be sick.

I can't believe you wrote all that on your phone! Amazing.[/QUOTE]

11-30-08 12:49 AM
    there is an app that does this already..... not perfectly but it does. Search for it, I can't remember the name. Hopefully RIM will add it someday.
    11-30-08 12:54 AM
    Interesting. Let me know, and if you can...send the link to dl OTA, if there is one. I don't have time this very moment even for a quick search, but ill try looking around tomorrow. Thanks for the input!

Michael

Well, I JUST downloaded instango, and it appears that it may do a threaded SMS. I sent a msg to a friend and it got placed in it's own tab, as if it was awaiting her response.

I could be completely wrong though, as I haven't received a response so I don't know.
    11-30-08 12:55 AM
    11-30-08 01:40 AM
    Thx!

Instango - OTA

11-30-08 08:21 AM
    how do you guys like this app? has anyone tried it for the storm yet? i am going to try it later tonight when i am near my phone.
    i checked this app out, i either didn't know how to use it, or...i didn't like it, i couldn't decide, its def not what i was thinking it was. i do like the idea that was orig brought up...like the iphone chat.
    Last edited by insanely; 12-01-08 at 07:55 PM.
    12-01-08 07:34 PM
    Downloaded it last week, set up a free account, tried to login, and have been unsuccessfull every time. Finally deleted it after losing patience...heh

12-01-08 07:44 PM
    There is a program called bbtext2im that I had on my Pearl that gave your IM style threaded texts. I don't have a link, but just google it. You can download a free trial and then its only $10. I absolutely loved that program. I just got a Storm, and unfortunately can't get it to work with it. Hopefully there is an update soon.
    12-02-08 11:45 PM
    Does it charge you on instango? Cuz it said my account balance is .88 euros or something to that effect.

12-03-08 01:40 AM
    I really hope there is a free program for this. This is the ONLY feature that has kept my with my Palm for so long.
    12-03-08 07:39 AM
    I think Instango charges to use the SMS feature of the app but everything else is free.

I really liked the threaded SMS on the iPhone as well.

Really wish I could program BB Apps, so many ideas out there and not enough people to create them.

Here is the link to BBText2IM:

BBText2IM SMS Instant Messenger - Communication & Internet BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store
    12-03-08 08:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD