I think it's better to have competing apps out there, it makes them better. Anyone care to complain that Bolt copied the BB browser? No, because they made it better (arguably I suppose :-P).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-09 07:59 AM
    I got 68wpm today on "quick brown fox"!
    04-07-09 11:05 PM
    Wow that's fast!! On my app I only get around 50 on pretyped texts. I guess the words-per-minute algorithms differ in our apps.

04-08-09 02:26 AM
    yupppp, thats worth a dollar right there. Hmmm...testing my typing speed for a dollar..or getting a Spicey McChicken for a dollar...Maybe its just me, but it seems just as easy to look at a clock...and start typing when a new minute starts...then when its over, go back and see how many words you typed. I know, its a liberal concept, but someday, somewhere...people will appreciate my idea!
    04-08-09 09:00 AM
    yupppp, thats worth a dollar right there. Hmmm...testing my typing speed for a dollar..or getting a Spicey McChicken for a dollar...Maybe its just me, but it seems just as easy to look at a clock...and start typing when a new minute starts...then when its over, go back and see how many words you typed. I know, its a liberal concept, but someday, somewhere...people will appreciate my idea!
    that sounds like entirely too much work.

I think I'm just going to get other people to do my typing for me.

04-08-09 09:06 AM
    No one beat 60 yet?
    04-11-09 09:18 PM
    Using my application TyperSpeed I get about 45wpm in qwerty and I type really quickly. So I guess our apps use a different algorithm.

04-13-09 02:15 AM
    Using my application TyperSpeed I get about 45wpm in qwerty and I type really quickly. So I guess our apps use a different algorithm.

Or I type faster

The algorithm is pretty obvious: number of words / minute.
    04-13-09 02:33 AM
    No. Because if your one text contains 30 long words and your second text contains 30 short words then obviously the wpm for the second text is much better.

04-13-09 02:42 AM
    No. Because if your one text contains 30 long words and your second text contains 30 short words then obviously the wpm for the second text is much better.

yeah and some apps might consider "the" a word, some might not, some might consider "a" a word, some not, etc. it all depends on what your app considers a word.
    04-13-09 02:44 AM
    yeah and some apps might consider "the" a word, some might not, some might consider "a" a word, some not, etc. it all depends on what your app considers a word.
    Well "the" and "a" are also words because you type them and it adds to your typing speed.

04-13-09 02:48 AM
    Has anyone here used this app AND TyperSpeed? What are your results?

04-13-09 08:41 AM
    Has anyone here used this app AND TyperSpeed? What are your results?

I think im gonna make a new app called RingAndVib =P
    04-13-09 08:46 AM
    frank, it already exists. Called ring and vibrate. Prettttty sad

04-13-09 08:50 AM
    I think im gonna make a new app called RingAndVib =P
    lol @ Phrehnck.

I know people are going to argue about who released what and first but i know originally DMG and Phreneck; when they were creating applications DMG would back down if Phreneck picked something up, or vise versa. They also originally helped one another (I know in Phrenecks' lightsaber situation)

To me, It just shows respect is all. I know, competition is good and dandy.
    I do believe however, if you can create a "better" wheel do it (Especially at a better price )
    04-13-09 08:53 AM
    ok so maybe im just dumb but once im done typing a sentence im not getting any feedback from the app. is there something i am supposed to be doing?
    04-13-09 09:06 AM
    lol @ Phrehnck.

I know people are going to argue about who released what and first but i know originally DMG and Phreneck; when they were creating applications DMG would back down if Phreneck picked something up, or vise versa. They also originally helped one another (I know in Phrenecks' lightsaber situation)

To me, It just shows respect is all. I know, competition is good and dandy.
    I do believe however, if you can create a "better" wheel do it (Especially at a better price )
    You're right! Respect is all!
    04-13-09 09:24 AM
    ok so maybe im just dumb but once im done typing a sentence im not getting any feedback from the app. is there something i am supposed to be doing?
    anybody??????
    04-13-09 10:34 AM
    anybody??????
    Check to see if you made a mistake, or added extra whitespace. When you type exactly what it says, it will pop up the results immediately.
    04-13-09 11:52 AM
    The correct algorithm to calculate the words per minute should be:

(Number of characters typed divided by the number of seconds used to type) multiply by 12 (12 comes from 60 seconds divided by 5 characters per word)
    TyperSpeed uses that algorithm and that is the most precise one.
    04-13-09 12:00 PM
    Check to see if you made a mistake, or added extra whitespace. When you type exactly what it says, it will pop up the results immediately.
    Thanks!

04-13-09 03:34 PM
    [QUOTE=chromedome;2269707]Thanks!

04-13-09 03:35 PM
    Anyone want an update with new phrases? Anything else need to be changed? As usual, free updates for everyone!
    04-15-09 11:14 PM
    The correct algorithm to calculate the words per minute should be:

(Number of characters typed divided by the number of seconds used to type) multiply by 12 (12 comes from 60 seconds divided by 5 characters per word)
    TyperSpeed uses that algorithm and that is the most precise one.
    Actually, standard typing speed testing is by the number of Strokes, not just characters. Strokes will also include Space-Bar, Shift Key, Backspace, Del, Tab, Carriage Return etc... And 1 word is considered 5 Strokes.

So for example.... the letter 'a' would be considered 1 stroke, whereas 'A' would be considered 2 strokes. Assuming of course you didn't backspace at all.

So the algorithm should be ((Total Strokes / 5) / (Seconds / 60 )).

If you're also measuring accuracy, you need to account for Del and Backspace strokes in addition to misspelled words.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 04-16-09 at 04:29 AM.
    04-16-09 04:11 AM

If you're also measuring accuracy, you need to account for Del and Backspace strokes in addition to misspelled words.
    I had you until there. Delete and backspace certainly should not be included.
    04-16-09 11:48 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD