I realize that people will say that this should be put in the applications forum, but because so many people have talked about the OS's lack of this option, I decided to post it here. There is a new app called StopTilt which gives you the option to turn off auto-rotation for native applications. It works on the homescreen, the browser, messages, contacts, etc. It does not implement the change globally, so each screen can be programmed differently. And the option is easily turned on or off, so it is particularly useful if you need a screen to stay in a certain orientation for a certain period of time.

The company's website that made the application is getempower.com, and the app can be downloaded from mobihand at this link:

StopTilt: Disable Auto Rotation on Storm - Personal Productivity Blackberry Software

I've long been searching for an app that does this. I now have my homescreen set to 16 icons and I never have to worry about seeing the applications screen again. If you lock the homescreen to portrait view, it's essentially like having an Icon theme from the 4.3/4.5, which I had also been looking for.

There have been many threads/requests about this in the past, and inevitably there are a few people who chime in with a comment like "why would anyone want this?" If you feel that way, please refrain yourself from posting, because for those of us who do want this option (and are tired of playing chase with the accelerometer), we do not care that you don't. This is meant to be informative, because if someone else knew of this and I didn't, I'd appreciate it if they told me about it. The iphone's homescreen is locked in portrait view, and touchscreen-only windows mobile phones give you the option to globally turn off screen rotation. Now, with this app, the storm has the best of both worlds in that auto-rotation can be on or off on any native application and can be set to your choosing.

One of the app's developers was nice enough to give some of us crackberry users a private beta, and the thread which discussed the beta can be found here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/dis...n-storm-224603
    05-12-09 09:46 AM
    Awesome, works just as advertised..
    05-12-09 10:05 AM
    Very cool. Too bad it costs money for something as simple as stopping the auto-rotation.
    05-12-09 10:58 AM
    Will this fix the Storm Slider issue of locking in portrait mode? Can you use this app while storm slider is enabled? Thanks.
    05-12-09 11:09 AM
    Cool! I was hoping for this app for months!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 11:26 AM
    Thanks for posting. Definitely going to look into this one.
    05-12-09 11:29 AM
    I would also prefer the ability to assign this app to the convenience key.
    05-12-09 11:29 AM
    Very cool. Too bad it costs money for something as simple as stopping the auto-rotation.
    Agree'd. Dont wonna sound like a tight fisted so-and-so.
    05-12-09 11:30 AM
    Let me just say this is one of those apps that should be a standard for any Storm owner. It is great when an app does exactly what it is supposed to do. I downloaded the trial because I was skeptical but quickly bought it within 5 minutes of use. It works superbly with storm slider as well and that annoying landscape switch on storm slider when you take it out of your pocket is gone. Kudos (yes I said Kudos) to the developer and thanks to the OP for sharing this app with everyone.
    I would also prefer the ability to assign this app to the convenience key.
    Definitely.

I'm glad this app is finally out there
    Great App. The regular $9.95 price is WAY to much for it, but at $2.99 its good.
    05-12-09 11:33 AM
    Will this fix the Storm Slider issue of locking in portrait mode? Can you use this app while storm slider is enabled? Thanks.
    dsant, I personally don't have storm slider so i am unable comment on that. What I can suggest is you can download a trial and see for yourself whether it works.. Also let us know.

Thanks,
    Ani.
    05-12-09 11:40 AM
    How long does the trial last before it expires? I'm testing this out before putting it out on my dad's storm. Also, at $2.99 I'd like to get it for his phone at least- but he won't install anything, so I'd have to do it and I won't be home til the 21st.

Can I buy now and install later?
    05-12-09 11:46 AM
    Alright I put up the money for the app. $2.99 is still kinda expensive for me personally but dang do I really like this app already.

Really simple to work. Bring up the menu on the specific app you don't want to rotate and choose "Disable AutoRotation". I love that I can tailor this to specific apps on my storm.

Mainly I use this on my homescreen. I hated when I pulled my storm out of my pocket that the screen is flipping around still before I can use it.
    Last edited by MHarvey124; 05-12-09 at 11:55 AM.
    05-12-09 11:49 AM
    How long does the trial last before it expires? I'm testing this out before putting it out on my dad's storm. Also, at $2.99 I'd like to get it for his phone at least- but he won't install anything, so I'd have to do it and I won't be home til the 21st.

Can I buy now and install later?
    If you buy any app from Mobihand, you get an email with a download link, and you can download whenever it's convenient for you. Mobihand also saves all the apps you purchased, just in case you need to redownload.
    05-12-09 11:51 AM
    Does the trial expire though? I just want to know how long I have.
    05-12-09 11:54 AM
    Does the trial expire though? I just want to know how long I have.
    Honestly, I don't know, but I sent a PM to the developer and will post back.
    05-12-09 11:59 AM
    Thanks buddy :-)
    05-12-09 12:04 PM
    Strange if it works on stormslider. The only downfall of this app seems to be that it only works for native apps.

It still gives the option on third party apps, the locking just doesn't actually work for them.

05-12-09 12:15 PM
    Strange if it works on stormslider. The only downfall of this app seems to be that it only works for native apps.

It still gives the option on third party apps, the locking just doesn't actually work for them.

yeah it only works on some. Some do not even have the option and others have the option but it doesnt actually do anything.
    05-12-09 12:26 PM
    I agree. Do Let us know when you find out. It shows it there in each screen to disable or enable, but there is no setting for it itself. So I dont know how it would expire, or where to even register it lol.
    05-12-09 12:26 PM
    One thing I notice in stormslider is that tilt lock will lock storm slider only if the home screen is locked. Also if it is locked in landscape and you press the green button stormslider will come up in portrait.

05-12-09 12:28 PM
    Now if this could only be inserted into the Os! we would be all set!
    05-12-09 12:31 PM
    I found a clitch...

Every time you do a battery pull, it will loose the setting and you have to enable it all over again.
    05-12-09 12:35 PM
    I found a clitch...

Every time you do a battery pull, it will loose the setting and you have to enable it all over again.
    You found a what?? Glitch? Every time you do a battery pull it will LOSE the settings??

haha sorry...i have a problem...

for those wondering about the storm slider app...if you lock the home screen on portrait it will lock storm slider to portrait as well!
    05-12-09 01:30 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD