So I was as tired as you are of the backlight timing out on me when I was trying to read something or think of what to type. So here's a tool I would have written for myself even if I didn't sell it, but it's a buck for who wants it.

"Timeout Warning Vibe" makes a very slight (adjustable) vibration a few to several seconds before the backlight times out, so you know it's time to move the trackball or wheel, brush the trackpad, or touch the screen to keep it on.

Thank you...

Backlight Timeout Warning Vibe - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    Last edited by LSphone; 10-26-09 at 05:48 AM.
    10-24-09 11:06 PM
    that's a pretty cute app
    10-25-09 04:05 AM
    You likely would get more constructive feedback in a short time, if you had a free promo code for the first 25 or 50 people. I personally don't need such an app and likely would delete it eventually, but I have enjoyed getting free samples and testing recent apps, the offering constructive opinion. Others do this here too.

Just a thought.

BTW, it's a great idea for those who have short timeouts.

FA

EDIT: I see that you do this for your other apps...
    Last edited by Floont; 10-25-09 at 05:38 AM.
    10-25-09 05:30 AM
    You likely would get more constructive feedback in a short time, if you had a free promo code for the first 25 or 50 people. I personally don't need such an app and likely would delete it eventually, but I have enjoyed getting free samples and testing recent apps, the offering constructive opinion. Others do this here too.

Just a thought.

BTW, it's a great idea for those who have short timeouts.

FA

EDIT: I see that you do this for your other apps...
    OK, ok I think 20 copies should be enough to make sure it's not going to make the springs pop out of anyone's phone.

Coupon SDFKJSH236
    BerryVibe - Personal Productivity Blackberry Software

Might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone, BerryVibe includes both Backlight Timeout Warning Vibe and Feel Connect-Disconnect which has already been out for a while but more feedback is always better.
    10-25-09 06:32 AM
    Nice of you to make the offer but not something I need. Best of luck. Maybe your next innovation will stir more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-09 07:39 AM
    Nice of you to make the offer but not something I need. Best of luck. Maybe your next innovation will stir more.

OK, then what do you need?

(just kidding, it's up to me to figure that out)
    10-25-09 07:50 AM
    This app is a good idea. When I had my Curve is would have been very useful, since it had no warning before the backlight was about to expire. Having this app would have been great.

My Tour has a dimming feature, so right before the backlight is about to go out, the screen dims. So I will see if how this works.
    10-25-09 08:09 AM
    Thanks for the free evaluation. I like the verbose instructions and the plethora of options.

One item you may want to address: When setting the timeout time, which I know is 120 seconds on my Tour, the first time the backlight timeout warning occurs, it vibrates at 25 seconds, despite the fact that I entered 120 second timeout in the options and saved. After the timeout actually occurs, the vibration occurs at the correct time after measuring 127 seconds (on mine). It only happens once, so it's no big deal. Just wanted you to know that it seems to ignore the entered time values and bases the vibrate on the actual measured timeout.

FA
    10-25-09 08:14 AM
    OK, then what do you need?

(just kidding, it's up to me to figure that out)
    The truth is I don't know the answer yet. I peruse lots of apps and consider the way I use the device. My needs are pretty simple.

10-25-09 08:33 AM
    OK, ok I think 20 copies should be enough to make sure it's not going to make the springs pop out of anyone's phone.

Coupon SDFKJSH236

Might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone, BerryVibe includes both Backlight Timeout Warning Vibe and Feel Connect-Disconnect which has already been out for a while but more feedback is always better.
    thank you... dl'ing now...
    10-25-09 09:13 AM

Coupon SDFKJSH236

Hey Thanks for the coupon.
    I just DL your program and so far it's working great.
    Just got 2 questions on MobiHand account it has the version 2.0.0.42,
    but when I go into Backlight Timeout settings it has "Enabled (v 1.0.0)

I also have 2 "Connect-Disconnect Feel" under Options Versions
    v 1.1.2 & v 1.1.0. I would guess that v 1.1.2 is the newer one,
    that I just got with "Backlight Timeout.
    I think version 1.1.0 is the one that came with your "Jam" program pack.
    Thanks again for the coupon and another usefull program.
    10-25-09 10:34 AM
    I just noticed this today. I didn't know you were making so many great apps. I have always been a fan since Rubus, and really wish you had a mailing list to join. I have not been here in a bit to see your application progress.

Downloading now.

Thanks for the gesture.

10-25-09 11:00 AM
    Thanks for the code!
    10-25-09 02:11 PM
    code didnt work
    10-25-09 02:24 PM
    how soft a vibe is the lightest setting? Can you enable it to vibe after a specific time no matter what the backlight timeout is? If not, how far in advance of the backlight timeout does it vibe?

thx!
    10-25-09 02:35 PM
    how soft a vibe is the lightest setting? Can you enable it to vibe after a specific time no matter what the backlight timeout is? If not, how far in advance of the backlight timeout does it vibe?

thx!
    The lightest two are called "Almost Imperceptible" and "Almost Nothing" and that's what they are -- the merest tap.

Since I can't find a way to read the timeout setting in Options/Screen, either you set the timeout in "Timeout Warning" to match what you have set in Options/Screen or the app predicts the timeout based on past timeouts. There was a flaw that caused a changed setting not to take affect until the next reset, but this seems fixed in 1.1.

1.0 aimed to warn you 3 to 9 seconds before the light turns off or starts to dim. It's so vague because this app is intentionally almost nonexistent as far as CPU use goes, so it's running very slowly and there can be a lag of several seconds between when it reaches the programmed trigger point, and when it actually warns you. In 1.1 you can adjust how much advance notice you get.
    Last edited by LSphone; 10-26-09 at 05:51 AM. Reason: for brevity
    10-25-09 11:29 PM
    Thanks for the free evaluation. I like the verbose instructions and the plethora of options.

One item you may want to address: When setting the timeout time, which I know is 120 seconds on my Tour, the first time the backlight timeout warning occurs, it vibrates at 25 seconds, despite the fact that I entered 120 second timeout in the options and saved. After the timeout actually occurs, the vibration occurs at the correct time after measuring 127 seconds (on mine). It only happens once, so it's no big deal. Just wanted you to know that it seems to ignore the entered time values and bases the vibrate on the actual measured timeout.

FA
    I've found the bug. When you measured the timeout it was updating the effective warning time immediately, but if you manually changed it, it wouldn't update until the next reboot. This is fixed in the 1.1 update.
    Last edited by LSphone; 10-26-09 at 05:53 AM.
    10-25-09 11:38 PM
    Hey Thanks for the coupon.
    I just DL your program and so far it's working great.
    Just got 2 questions on MobiHand account it has the version 2.0.0.42,
    but when I go into Backlight Timeout settings it has "Enabled (v 1.0.0) I also have 2 "Connect-Disconnect Feel" under Options Versions
    v 1.1.2 & v 1.1.0.
    The 2.0 is for BerryVibe which is now a package of the "Feel Connect-Disconnect" and "Backlight Timeout Warning Vibe" apps. The individual app modules have their own versions. I had to bump to 2.0 to be able to charge for adding the 2nd app to the update.

I would guess that v 1.1.2 is the newer one,
    that I just got with "Backlight Timeout.
    I think version 1.1.0 is the one that came with your "Jam" program pack.
    Thanks again for the coupon and another usefull program.
    Go into Options/Advanced/Applications, select Modules in menu, and delete the module BerryVibe. That module was renamed to "feelcd" after App World refused to accept the name BerryVibe.
    Last edited by LSphone; 10-26-09 at 01:28 AM.
    10-26-09 12:13 AM
    Have been using this app over the weekend.. what I really like is when you drop a call, the phone will vibrate. Of course this happens often..
    10-26-09 01:13 PM
    really? that's pretty handy, but why does it do that?
    10-26-09 01:50 PM
    Go into Options/Advanced/Applications, select Modules in menu, and delete the module BerryVibe. That module was renamed to "feelcd" after App World refused to accept the name BerryVibe.[/QUOTE]

It won't let me just delete the module.
    I can edit permissions, but there is no delete
    under Modules. And if I go to the module though the
    Jam program, it wants to delete the whole Jam package.
    10-26-09 03:05 PM
    I now have TWO "feelcd's" in my Options Menu.

And as mentioned, there is NO DELETE choice under Options/Advanced\Applications.

Also I got notice of a new version of berryvibe and after installing it, I now get a periodic VIB about every 5 seconds!!!!

Ideas?

Well, I think I may have just UNinstalled all of it but I did like the Connect/disconnect VIBrate so I would like that back.
    10-26-09 08:24 PM
    that's weird :*(
    10-26-09 08:44 PM
    Go into Options/Advanced/Applications, select Modules in menu, and delete the module BerryVibe. That module was renamed to "feelcd" after App World refused to accept the name BerryVibe.
    It won't let me just delete the module.
    I can edit permissions, but there is no delete
    under Modules. And if I go to the module though the
    Jam program, it wants to delete the whole Jam package.
    Maybe because it's in use. I'm sorry for the trouble, but then if you uninstall Jam and re-download it from your account page there should then only be the feelcd module.
    Last edited by LSphone; 10-27-09 at 07:34 AM.
    10-26-09 10:35 PM
    I now have TWO "feelcd's" in my Options Menu.

And as mentioned, there is NO DELETE choice under Options/Advanced\Applications.

Also I got notice of a new version of berryvibe and after installing it, I now get a periodic VIB about every 5 seconds!!!!

Ideas?

Well, I think I may have just UNinstalled all of it but I did like the Connect/disconnect VIBrate so I would like that back.
    BerryVibe2 includes "Backlight Timeout Warning Vibe", which you can disable if you don't want it, in Options/Backlight Timeout Warning.

If you have two feelcd's, one is either from the old Jam package or left over from the old BerryVibe. If you can't delete the BerryVibe module directly because it's in use, I think the answer is uninstall both apps to get rid of the old modules and then reinstall. I didn't anticipate that simply upgrading over the old installation would only add the new moduels but not delete the old ones. That BerryVibe module had its name changed to 'feelcd' because I wan't allowed to use the BerryVibe name on App World, so installing the update doesn't overwrite the old module, and apparently doesn't delete it.

Maybe I'm making a mistake bundling individual apps together as multi-app packages like Jam and what BerryVibe has now become, it becomes complicated. I only did this because neither Crackberry web store nor App World support bundles, and I wanted to offer bundles at a discount.
    Last edited by LSphone; 10-26-09 at 11:08 PM.
    10-26-09 10:47 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD