Hi Everyone:
    I have had my Curve 8330 for about 6 months now and I am starting to look into the world of 3rd party applications. I am veryyyy clueless when it comes to software for BB's. I still have the same OS that the phone came with back in October (which OS version that is, I am unsure and don't really know how to find out?).
    I was wondering first, if upgrading to the latest OS is recommended and if so, will I lose all my current settings?
    The other thing I was wondering about is software itself. If I download/purchase software I assume it goes to my phone (?) and if so, then what happens if I do something to my phone (whether it be a full crash of my phone, a battery pull or take out my mini SD card) .. will I lose the software I paid for?
    The third thing I am inquiring about (because if I get enough information from you guys I plan to download/purchase 3rd party apps) .. is the Auto Standby app. I really like the idea of not having to press the mute button every time I want my phone to go into standby .. and I was wondering if this software is good? Can someone explain to me how it works (if it is worth it). Thanks in advance for any help!
    03-20-09 09:03 AM
    To find your OS, go to Options>>About, third line down will tell you. The latest OS for your is this->http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...nguage-185702/

If you buy apps, they are stored on your phones device so you would not lose them if you remove your SD card! Also, battery pulls are safe! They're mainly performed to free up memory.

I have no experience with Auto Standby, so I can't help with that. Many people love the app though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by skullgame45; 03-20-09 at 09:32 AM.
    03-20-09 09:11 AM
    I have Auto Standby, and I absolutely love it. It really saves me a lot of battery life throughout the day!
    03-20-09 09:30 AM
    skullgame - thanks for the directsions on finding my OS information!
    does anyone think that its worth upgrade or should i leave well enough alone?

heremeout - is it easy to get back out of standby when you need to? i read somewhere there is a slight delay?

thanks
    03-20-09 11:08 AM

heremeout - is it easy to get back out of standby when you need to? i read somewhere there is a slight delay?

thanks
    you would want to do a back up on your computer(through desktop manager) about once a month. so if your phone does break and you get another BB you have all your data, even 3rd party software. and yes you would want to upgrade to the most recent software for your devise.
    03-20-09 11:17 AM
    Search around this site for 3rd party apps. Also see if there's any 'special apps' for your specific bb.

ALSO, go to mobihand (or another bb app site) and just browse, see if you see anything interesting for your purposes.
    03-20-09 11:28 AM
    awesome. i will check out mobihand. and i will make it a point to do backups more frequently, especially if i buy software/apps.
    i checked out the info for the latest OS .. it says its for a curve 8330m and i'm honestly not sure if i have that version. if i do not, is there an updated version of the OS for my specific 8330?
    03-20-09 11:31 AM
    Just go to the 83xx series forum and all the latest OS' are at the top.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-09 11:33 AM
    please forgive me for being a royal plain the you-know-what, but I checked the 8330 forum and all the sticky topics relating to OS updates for 8330 are for the multilanguage version and unfortunately I dont have that one ... is there another OS upgrade link for just the plain ol regular 8330. So sorry to be a pain!
    03-20-09 11:55 AM

thanks
    Nope. You just have to hit the mute button, and it is out instantly. It is the same as if you were to manually put it into standby mode every time.
    03-20-09 01:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD