You do realize that people need to get the phone in their hands before developers will make apps for it, right?

Using your car reference, as a general rule, new accessories such as rims and chrome parts for cars won't be available until AFTER the car is out on the market.
    So how did people get Playbook Apps built before the Playbook was released??
    08-30-11 03:12 PM
    i came in to post exactly this.

problem is, you're making too much sense.
    Mark it down in history as the day I made sense. Next time this will happen, Hailley's Comet or however you spell it will fly over or the Maple Leafs will actually win the Cup again.

Maybe they slept with the developers to get a free copy?

There will always be a few apps available pre-release but like I said, as a general rule, the bulk of the new apps will be released after the phone has been out on the market. Then again, this is BB and like someone else in this thread said, if you want apps, go iSheep.

No one wants to spend money on developing apps for a phone that may or may not tank. I'm not saying the Torch Touch will tank or has any intentions on tanking, but think about it from a developer's standpoint which is where I'm coming from.
    Last edited by ColdSunshine; 08-30-11 at 03:33 PM.
    osubass1 likes this.
    08-30-11 03:30 PM
    So you switched to I-phone to get apps but now you only use three. The same three you had on your BB? Wow, good thing you made the switch. Have fun. At least you are cool now with your apple logo.
    I was in the same boat as gregs87. Storm2 died, I needed a phone, and was sick of waiting for the new BB's to drop on Verizon. Unlike gregs87, I've found more than 3 apps that are useful on my new iphone.

1. All cheaper than BB.
    2. All work flawlessly

Also have had zero reboots, able to surf the net, and amazing battery life to boot.

And, I was cool before I got the iphone.
    08-30-11 04:23 PM
    I was in the same boat as gregs87. Storm2 died, I needed a phone, and was sick of waiting for the new BB's to drop on Verizon. Unlike gregs87, I've found more than 3 apps that are useful on my new iphone.

1. All cheaper than BB.
    2. All work flawlessly

Also have had zero reboots, able to surf the net, and amazing battery life to boot.

And, I was cool before I got the iphone.
    Thanks for that....I know there are alot of great and cheap apps out there...havent gotten around to that yet....but my point about the same three apps is that I am doing the same on my iPhone as I was on my BB and the world did not crash and burn....and I recounted....up to six apps now. (all six combined were less than what I paid for a single podcast app on BB. - here come the flames...)
    08-30-11 04:42 PM
    Thanks for that....I know there are alot of great and cheap apps out there...havent gotten around to that yet....but my point about the same three apps is that I am doing the same on my iPhone as I was on my BB and the world did not crash and burn....and I recounted....up to six apps now. (all six combined were less than what I paid for a single podcast app on BB. - here come the flames...)

I'm seriously not a fan boy, I'm not! I just crack up at the same crap, over and over again, from the obvious BB fanboys. I mean, I don't think I was one of those when I had my berry, but who knows, I'll have to check my posts I guess!

"iphone is a toy!"
    "oooh, now you're cool."
    "BB is for business, I don't need apps!"

BLAH BLAH BLAH, same old tired arguments that hold zero merit.

I'm still not sure I'm keeping the iphone. Although I type okay on it, I do think I was better on the Storm. I really miss the LED notification. There are some things about the iphone I don't like. BUT..... it's works. My S2 sure as heck didn't. POS.
    jadenmiko and jonathon.94 like this.
    08-30-11 05:00 PM
    Huh. Huh. Heh. Huhhuh. You said, "taint." *snicker* heheh huhuh.

This sucks, Beavis

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    08-30-11 05:07 PM
    Dude - take a pill. I switched to Iphone, not for apps but because my Storm died and there were at the time no sign of any new bbs coming out anytime soon, so either I could down grade and lose unlimited or upgrade. Either that or switch carriers which in my area is not an option.

Not an apple or bb fanboy....
    Sorry - I really wasn't trying to get under your skin... I swear. We do all have to admit that the Apple Logo is pretty cool, from a marketing perspective. I Guess I misread your reason for switching.

Anyways - back to the ops questions - and my actual response. How does m.yahoo.com work? Navigate to there, then go to all sites and sports and finally all sports. You should be able to get to your fantasy team, I don't really do fantasy sports, so I can't verify.

If it works make a bookmark. I think you can even make a book mark on your homescreen with 0S7. There is your launcher by the way.
    08-30-11 05:07 PM
    New platforms take time... That's why I rarely by the brand spanking item on the block..learned my lesson with my old storm

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    08-30-11 05:09 PM
    You do realize that people need to get the phone in their hands before developers will make apps for it, right?

Using your car reference, as a general rule, new accessories such as rims and chrome parts for cars won't be available until AFTER the car is out on the market.
    That is not the case for cars anymore. Names in aftermarket products get a shot to develop parts while the car is still in production. I know this for a fact with Ford, with the Mustang, F150, and Raptor.

Aftermarket even helps tune the car before it is released.
    08-30-11 05:29 PM
    App compatability is annoying!
    Just moved from 9800 to 9860 and the following aren't available for OS7
    Google maps (key as I getvlost often)
    British Airways (love paperless boarding)
    Weatherbug
    Dropbox
    A few others but these are what I consider essential!
    08-30-11 07:03 PM
    Doesn't RIM provide to application developers a Software Development Kit for particular OS versions long before RIM releases any products using that version? It's not like developers have to wait until the product hits the market before they can start development of updates.

As a software developer (enterprise software, not small systems like in phones), I don't quite understand how these application incompatibilities come about. Is it the case that older APIs no longer work in newer OS versions? Windows NT 4 applications from the late 1990's still run under Windows 7, because the old Win32 APIs still work, even though newer applications use newer APIs.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 08-30-11 at 07:34 PM.
    08-30-11 07:31 PM
    Pandora, and Ascendo (data vault) told me they are working on OS7. Epocrates was more vague. I need to ask Dropbox. But I am holding on to my Tour until these apps work. Otherwise, it's like getting a cool messaging phone and needing a separate unit for apps. Anyone have an idea how long we should expect when a company says they are working on it? Are we looking at weeks or months at this point?
    08-30-11 08:26 PM
    Doesn't RIM provide to application developers a Software Development Kit for particular OS versions long before RIM releases any products using that version? It's not like developers have to wait until the product hits the market before they can start development of updates.

As a software developer (enterprise software, not small systems like in phones), I don't quite understand how these application incompatibilities come about. Is it the case that older APIs no longer work in newer OS versions? Windows NT 4 applications from the late 1990's still run under Windows 7, because the old Win32 APIs still work, even though newer applications use newer APIs.
    I'm not a developer, but a quick perusal of RIM's Developer Blog indicates the BlackBerry 7 SDK was released in beta on May 31, and the model numbers, screen resolutions and device simulators were released on June 20. This blog post is pretty basic, but seems to hit the highlights for what needs to be done: Getting Your App Ready for BlackBerry 7 �BlackBerry Developer's Blog
    08-30-11 09:22 PM
    So you switched to I-phone to get apps but now you only use three. The same three you had on your BB? Wow, good thing you made the switch. Have fun. At least you are cool now with your apple logo.
    Read again ... he didn't switch for apps !!!
    08-31-11 05:42 AM
    It did not matter for the Play Book as it did not work anyway!
    08-31-11 11:56 AM
    Maybe they slept with the developers to get a free copy?
    I guess its time to start developing...
    08-31-11 12:01 PM
    I can agree with the fact that BB has few apps and needs more... Also including updates on top of that BUT you need to read up on your devices before you purchase..
    You say you pay for what you should get... well im sure you look at every detail on a car before you buy it... but in this case if the bb was the car you bought it cus they put new rims and a back up camera on a similar model... im sure you have a 30 day return so go for it..
    But dont attack your BB or others if you didn't do your research :P sorry bud its the way life works.. always has been
    PS: no offence of course, i call it how i see it
    08-31-11 12:57 PM
    RIM is in fact trying pretty hard to make sure apps are available for OS7 devices. The problem is that App World by default does not categorize existing apps as compatible with OS7. Normally the developer is supposed to manually test and then update the compatible device list. I am a developer with apps listed on App World, and was surprised to receive the following email today:

Dear Christopher Wong,

In an effort to ensure your app in BlackBerry App World has optimal device support, we have completed initial testing for the following app on select BlackBerry 7 smartphones:

[one of my apps]

We are happy to inform you that this app has been approved to support BlackBerry 7 smartphones and we will ensure that this app is made available to our new BlackBerry 7 smartphone customers. For the relevant file bundles we will be updating device model support to include one or more of the following BlackBerry 7 smartphones

(...)

This update will be effective Wednesday September 7th and will ensure that BlackBerry 7 smartphone customers will be able to access and download your app.

(...)
    In other words, RIM is taking the initiative to go through many existing apps, test them for compatibility, and mark them as compatible with the new phones. That's a lot of work. Note the September 7th date. This means you should see more apps available for OS7 devices over time.
    Last edited by cwong15; 09-01-11 at 07:06 AM.
    hellokurva, BigBadWulf and jem9777 like this.
    08-31-11 09:19 PM
    I think it would be nice and quicker for us to get them if the developers checked their apps compatibility themselves and reported it rather than making RIM go thru them all and testing. I just think it would happen faster that way cuz they could tweak them if needed and we would all be happy campers.
    08-31-11 10:34 PM
    I think it would be nice and quicker for us to get them if the developers checked their apps compatibility themselves and reported it rather than making RIM go thru them all and testing. I just think it would happen faster that way cuz they could tweak them if needed and we would all be happy campers.
    The developers are supposed to do this work themselves, and obviously many have. In this case RIM is going through the extra effort of helping the slower developers, unasked for.

My own apps are up to date, BTW. RIM thought one of my inactive apps needed attention. The vendor portal does not let you delete apps once created, so I have not been able to get rid of that redundant entry.
    09-01-11 07:10 AM
    I waited till USCC made available the 9850. On the day it was released I went to buy it not knowing that it was OS7. I pay for my Pandora account and use it everywhere. With the 9850 in hand still sitting with the sales rep and while she was finishing up the paper work I went to Pandora.com to get the app. Its a must have with me. The site just kept giving me a blue screen saying that their app was not available as of yet. When I told the sales rep that I wanted my Tour back on she looked at me kinda weird and thought I was crazy. So I am patiently waiting for Pandora to update so I can purchase the 9850 all over again. Till then I will keep my trusty Tour.
    09-07-11 10:26 PM
    Yikes... glad I'm leaving BB. Who knows when BB developers will update their apps for a platform where BB users keep telling me on 9930 that apps aren't really important.
    09-08-11 01:10 AM
    My bad with the post. I guess I get mediocre respondents. What do you all drive a Tuarus? When I buy a car I expect all the bells and whistles that I pay for, same concept here with the phones!!! If I spend money I expect everything I pay for right away. That is all. No need to settle for mediocracy!!! Am I right? For that I go buy a StarTac and call it a day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    On a car, the bells and whistles are installed by the manufacturer. With a smartphone, nearly all apps are 3rd party apps....with "3rd party" being the operative term... Your analogy is flawed, at best.
    09-08-11 01:54 AM
    Anyone have an idea how long we should expect when a company says they are working on it? Are we looking at weeks or months at this point?
    Depends on the demand. I'm one of the four people in the world that don't use Slacker or Pandora as I can't stand either of them, but I know a lot of people do so I'd imagine that the demand for that app to work for OS7 would be pretty high.

I've been using different computers and having friends email Sirius demanding an updated app for OS7 devices. Until then, I'm stuck with my S2. I have to have my Sirius at work and my S2 is the only way I can listen thanks to the IT Nazis blocking streaming sites at work.
    09-08-11 09:53 AM
    Unfortunately have to agree. For the time being, OS7 is a step backwards. Although very fast, we've lost some apps. I have 13 days to return to my 9100 which, as of today, I'll do.
    09-08-11 10:11 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD