I am using Verizon as my carrier. My phone is a Blackberry Curve 8330. I
    have downloaded and installed jmIRC 0.95 and it seems to be installed
    properly and working much like mIRC does on a PC. However, when I try to connect, regardless of the server I choose, it always aborts and times out. The exact message jmIRC gives me every time is:

*** Error trying to connect to IRC server, aborting... Exception: Timed out

Someone told me that Verizon blocks all IRC ports... I called Verizon several times and they said there is nothing to unblock. Someone else said I had to adjust my TCP settings, but there is no option for TCP in the Curve. Can anyone please help me get jmIRC working? Or if it is not compatible with my Curve 8330, is there an IRC program that is? This is a major part of what I do on the internet and I'd be really happy to be able to use it... Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by wordbird; 07-29-09 at 11:45 AM.
    07-29-09 11:42 AM
    I'm at work atm but shoot me a pm and i'll help when I get home tonite I have 3 irc apps on my alltel curve.

forkup

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 02:06 PM
    Resolved the issue by downloading CoolIRC instead, which works without a problem.
    08-02-09 04:05 PM
    I downloaded CoolIRC and get the same problem as I do with jmirc, no connection. What settings are you using?

I use US Cellular, so I'm not sure if that is a problem.
    08-21-09 10:55 AM
    so, which application works ?
    08-21-09 08:20 PM
    CoolIRC was working for me for a little while, but then it suddenly decided to stop working. jMIRC has never worked for me. I have no idea what settings I was using, CoolIRC worked right "out of the box"... I installed it and it connected immediately. I had IRC on for about two weeks solid, and then it just decided to quit and not connect anymore. I have no idea why CoolIRC did work as opposed to jMIRC, or why it decided to stop. For the little time that I did have it on my blackberry though, I have to say that IRC rather sucks without a two-handed keyboard... It's just not the same experience, and seems rather useless on the phone anyway, if that is any consolation.
    Last edited by wordbird; 08-22-09 at 12:24 AM.
    08-22-09 12:22 AM
    Same problem for me, getting timed out errors. Has anyone managed to resolve this??
    07-11-10 11:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD