I'm about to exchange my 8900 under my carrier's warranty, an I need a bit of help backing up my data and apps (all the stuff that's on the onboard memory and not on the media card or SIM card) to my desktop for easy transfer.

I have BB Desktop software installed, but I'm not familiar with its use.
    06-01-10 06:05 PM
    Desktop Manager doesn't Backup your applications ( 3rd party apps )

To backup your BB's memory ( Phone memory only ) >> Start the Desktop Manager and connect your BlackBerry via USB cable. Click on Backup and Restore then Backup ( save the file on your Desktop ). That's that, now your phone's memory is backed up.

To Backup 3rd party Applications, download and install on your PC an application called BBSAK ( attached ). Re-Connect your BlackBerry and select NO to ''Enable Mass Storage Mode'' popup. Now, Run BBSAK and click on '' Backup Apps ''

Edit:
    To restore

using DM > Run Desktop Manager ( Go to Backup and Restore then click Restore and choose the backup file which you've saved on your Desktop earlier ).

using BBSAK > Run BBSAK and click on Restore Apps. OR click on ''Modify CODs'' tab and then click on ''install Cods''. Direct it to the Backup folder in C:\Program Files\BBSAK\Backup and select all file then click open/ok

Best of Luck
    Last edited by Ahmed G.; 09-30-10 at 04:19 PM. Reason: BBSAK version 1.8
    Keroloss, jumil22 and Zakker like this.
    06-01-10 06:31 PM
    To use BBSAK, do I need Mass Media Mode on or off when I plug in my BB to the PC?
    06-01-10 08:18 PM
    To use BBSAK, do I need Mass Media Mode on or off when I plug in my BB to the PC?
    Mass Storage Mode should be off when you use BBSAK.
    06-01-10 08:59 PM
    LOL, apparently I can do all this with RIM's BB Desktop Manager's "Device Switch Wizard". It even imports/exports third party apps. But still, to be on the safe side, I'm going to back up using both the DM and BBSAK. Thanks guys.
    06-01-10 09:10 PM
    LOL, apparently I can do all this with RIM's BB Desktop Manager's "Device Switch Wizard". It even imports/exports third party apps. But still, to be on the safe side, I'm going to back up using both the DM and BBSAK. Thanks guys.
    Device Switch Wizard is the best way to transfer, but backups with DM and BBSAK are still a good idea in case something goes wrong.
    06-01-10 09:12 PM
    Device Switch Wizard is the best way to transfer, but backups with DM and BBSAK are still a good idea in case something goes wrong.
    Actually, since BBSAK doesn't seem to want to detect my device, it would seem DM is the only backup source I'm going to get. On second thought, I don't think it matters much anyway about the third party apps, since they're mostly games and since I'll be upgrading to the 9700 in the near future I'll most likely have to re-purchase the games in a new format. Unless of course Handmark offers some kind of format switch service. Doubtful though.
    06-01-10 09:45 PM
    Actually, since BBSAK doesn't seem to want to detect my device, it would seem DM is the only backup source I'm going to get. On second thought, I don't think it matters much anyway about the third party apps, since they're mostly games and since I'll be upgrading to the 9700 in the near future I'll most likely have to re-purchase the games in a new format. Unless of course Handmark offers some kind of format switch service. Doubtful though.
    I would suggest contacting the developers/stores of the apps. Many will let you transfer to a new device if you purchased them. Mobihand (CrackBerry App Store) lets you change your PIN and device for many apps.
    06-01-10 10:05 PM
    Actually, since BBSAK doesn't seem to want to detect my device, it would seem DM is the only backup source I'm going to get.
    As a future reference, for BBSAK to connect, try to have your Dekstop Manager open. It recognized my BB after I've tried that.
    06-07-10 04:01 PM
    This is from an old thread, but you can use DM to back up most third party apps, just need to follow the directions here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/updated-how-back-up-3rd-party-applications-updated-53201/

Tried it the other day and it worked fine for a work around, and as long as you follow the directions exactly.
    06-07-10 09:37 PM
    i have bbdm open and bbsak just says no device connected or something like that then says ok to continue?
    Last edited by KRAZYFIL; 06-13-10 at 11:43 AM.
    06-13-10 11:40 AM
    i have bbdm open and bbsak just says no device connected or something like that then says ok to continue?
    That's strange ! If you can live without your 3rd party apps, wipe and load OS using CrackMem. Remember to backup using DM though

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-10 02:10 PM
    I don't really have any apps truth be told LoL.... But I would like to figure this crap out already

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-10 02:38 PM
    Is there a way to fire off 1.7 without it checking for updates?

From work, I cannot get to Rimgeeks, so if I fire off my 1.7, it checks for updates, sees and update, but then cannot complete the update since I don't have access outbound, and then I have to uninstall the program from Control Panel (as it is already partially uninstalled at this point......)
    09-09-10 01:37 PM
    BBSAK doesnot recognise my blackberry 9900 bold. please help.
    05-27-13 10:59 PM
    BBSAK doesnot recognise my blackberry 9900 bold. please help.
    Get the latest version from the developer:
    BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife
    05-28-13 03:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD