I've been writing apps in my spare time and have decided to release one. Please consider this alpha software.

The application uses a server backend to retreive a list of various drinks and shots.you can add shots via the website.

I guess the main feature is "surprise me" from the main menu. It will present you with a random drink.

The app for now is called drinks. It can be downloaded at FreeBBApp
    There is a 4.5 and a 4.6+ version available.

4.5+ OTA Direct Link
    http://drinks.freebbapp.com/Drinks45/drinks45.jad

It should work with WiFi, direct TCP and bes

Please feel free to email comments and suggestions to drinks@freebbapp.com I look forward to your feedback

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by thadude3; 05-15-09 at 04:14 PM. Reason: added new links
    05-12-09 12:29 AM
    sounds cool, so you can add your own recipes to the site?
    05-12-09 07:20 AM
    I'll give it a try
    05-12-09 07:55 AM
    sounds cool, so you can add your own recipes to the site?
    Yes, It's not as straight forward as I would like but you can. I admit the site needs some more work.
    05-12-09 08:58 AM
    Doesn't work for me. Says decor background not found when I try to open it. My os is 4.5.0.124

05-12-09 09:27 AM
    Doesn't work for me. Says decor background not found when I try to open it. My os is 4.5.0.124

Sorry I have some 4.6 API in there. I will rewrite it so it will support 4.5 and let you know.
    05-12-09 09:59 AM
    works fine on my bold, real cool app. needs more drinks though quite a few good ones on the list

I can't believe people would actually drink a Dirty Mexican. tequila and mayo?? :|
    05-12-09 04:56 PM
    let me know when it fully supports 4.5 i'd love to give it a spin
    05-12-09 06:31 PM
    Sorry I have some 4.6 API in there. I will rewrite it so it will support 4.5 and let you know.
    Haha, I was about to comment about having the same error. Now I know why

Sounds pretty cool, I can't wait until it's 4.5-compatible.
    05-12-09 06:44 PM
    yup, waiting on 4.5 and I'll give it a try
    05-12-09 10:41 PM
    I've added a 4.5 build... Ive tested on a few devices, however there is a white line in the main menu on a bold. You can still use the 4.6 plus version for the bold. At this time I recommend the 4.5 version for 4.5 os only.

Download link for both versions.
    FreeBBApp

Direct OTA Download
    4.5 OTA
    Last edited by thadude3; 05-15-09 at 03:52 PM.
    05-14-09 06:34 PM
    Downloaded the 4.5 link you sent and now it won't open bc it says its trying to access a secure API. Everything is set to allow.

05-14-09 11:17 PM
    should be good now
    05-15-09 04:40 PM
    A few thoughts:

You should add a section for cocktails, like you have for shots.

You should allow users to edit drinks within the app (so that people can show drinks precisely how they like them.

Users should be able to mark drinks as tried or ones that they're not interested in trying. Or maybe rate drinks or something. There are a lot of different drinks, and most people won't remember them all by name, so it would be nice to be able to see from the list how much we like them or how interested we are in trying them.

Obviously being able to add drinks would be nice, too.

But yeah, I love this idea.

05-15-09 06:25 PM
    A few thoughts:

You should add a section for cocktails, like you have for shots.

You should allow users to edit drinks within the app (so that people can show drinks precisely how they like them.

Users should be able to mark drinks as tried or ones that they're not interested in trying. Or maybe rate drinks or something. There are a lot of different drinks, and most people won't remember them all by name, so it would be nice to be able to see from the list how much we like them or how interested we are in trying them.

Obviously being able to add drinks would be nice, too.

But yeah, I love this idea.

That's pretty much the plan, I only did shots for now because I am the only one populating the database which is tiresome at best. I didn't want to have shots, cocktails and Martini's if there all empty

I was thinking of doing a rating system but I can't decide if it should be device side or server. As in personal ratings or everyone's ratings.

I will look into adding them from the device, it shouldn't be hard just worried about bad data or duplicates. Currently on the website I get a lot of bad data thats why I screen it first.

thank you for the feedback its appreciated
    05-16-09 12:44 PM
    I love your orientation lock so I will be trying this as well

05-16-09 01:13 PM
    That's pret
    ty much the plan, I only did shots for now because I am the only one populating the database which is tiresome at best. I didn't want to have shots, cocktails and Martini's if there all empty

I was thinking of doing a rating system but I can't decide if it should be device side or server. As in personal ratings or everyone's ratings.

I will look into adding them from the device, it shouldn't be hard just worried about bad data or duplicates. Currently on the website I get a lot of bad data thats why I screen it first.

thank you for the feedback its appreciated
    Personally, I don't really care about ratings from other users, as other people's preferences in alcohol aren't really important to me. I'd rather track what I have tried (and how much/little I liked it) and what I haven't tried (and how much/little interest I have in trying it).

05-16-09 09:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD