I am looking for a turn by turn navigation app like garmin, telenav, etc that uses maps from an SD card instead of downloading them on fly. I am in non-service areas a lot. Any suggestions?

~S
    11-09-09 02:40 PM
    Would be interested too. Car shared with someone with an iPhone and satnav maps
    d/l to their device and I used Tele Nav - the lack of signal in remote areas made my otherwise superior phone look bad!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-09 02:44 PM
    At one time there was a Garmin product that had the maps on SD card. It may still be available in some older form but I don't think it is a "modern" product anymore.

Unfortunately, most turn-by-turn spoken products require an active data link. So there is an iphone app that grabs the maps in advance?

I am trying to remember if amaze or the other (can't recall its name) did actually grab the directions, if not the maps. And clearly it would not update if out of data range.

I guess these outfits are not aware of remote driving where data is not available. Even in Europe, where cell service is "everywhere" I could not get data links this summer in areas of the Dolomites. But I had my Tomtom standalone so it was not a driving problem.
    11-09-09 03:41 PM
    Think the iPhone app was Co-Pilot or something. The maps (UK/Ire), as far as I could tell, or my co-driver, were downloaded at point of retail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-09 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD