I did a quick search but I didn't see an app that did this. I use the BB dock beside my bed and I think it would be really cool to have it play nature sounds as I'm going to sleep. Maybe even features like an auto shut off.

Like I said I didn't spent a lot of time looking in to this so maybe there's already an app to do think just missed it. Or possibly a station on Slacker. What do you guys think, cool app idea?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-09 09:41 PM
    You could get one of those "Nature Sound" cd's, and have it playing next to you. You could also have auto on/off to have your phone turn off at a certain time every night.

Geos-Not a progammer, but a pretty good work-arounder.
    03-29-09 09:54 PM
    True. I have never written an app but I don't know how much space would required to include all those sound files

03-29-09 10:03 PM
    yeah this sounds like it would slow the phone down quite a bit
    03-30-09 03:16 AM
    I have the same "need" as the original poster... a little white noise or ocean sounds really helps me sleep, esp when I'm away from home and the environment is particularly noisy or particularly quiet...usually a combination of both.
    I threw a few mp3s of such things onto the SD card in my storm. make a new playlist of only the item you want to hear and set it to repeat. there's no auto-shut-off, but I usually want it to run all night anyway.
    03-30-09 07:33 AM
    yeah this sounds like it would slow the phone down quite a bit
    I found an app on google for the iPhone called aSleep. I don't know how it stores the sound files or if it takes up a lot of space or what.

I threw a few mp3s of such things onto the SD card in my storm. make a new playlist of only the item you want to hear and set it to repeat. there's no auto-shut-off, but I usually want it to run all night anyway.
    The only thing I find annoying about that is I hate hearing when the track ends and starts over. Even if it is just a small skip every 3 or 4 minutes or so, when I'm having a hard time falling asleep I get a little OCD about stuff and that's all I can concentrate on. Were you able to make your tracks have a smooth transition?

03-30-09 07:50 AM
    I would like this app as well.
    03-30-09 08:03 AM
    The only thing I find annoying about that is I hate hearing when the track ends and starts over. Even if it is just a small skip every 3 or 4 minutes or so, when I'm having a hard time falling asleep I get a little OCD about stuff and that's all I can concentrate on. Were you able to make your tracks have a smooth transition?
    I'm the same way
    the one I listen to most often is rain... and the mp3 is about 45min long. ripped from a CD I bought a few years ago. the entire CD was one long recording of a rainstorm.
    I originally tried ~1-3 minute loops and being able to distinguish and remember the patterns in the sounds, along with the track-repeat pauses was distracting as ****.
    03-30-09 09:18 AM
    Completely agree with you geewhipped. I'm going to see if I can find a nature cd torrent and see if I like that. I am still into the idea of making this an app though

03-30-09 09:26 AM
    I found a pretty good sound file for nature sounds. It actually has six different tracks with nature sounds and mellow music to go along with it. It also includes one track that is 53 minutes long that is only nature and that's what I usually end up listening to.

If anyone is interested I can probably post the 53 minute file on dropbox
    04-01-09 05:45 AM
    I just bought the "relaxing sounds" app from "app world" so I'll check it out and let you know what I think of it.
    04-01-09 08:15 AM
    Seems to do the trick, but I haven't run it for hours and hours. The real test will be when I'm laying in bed. As you would assume, the developer crushed down the sound files to make the app a reasonable size and the degradation of sound quality is obvious and noticeable. The ocean waves sound has a very annoying rhythmic wooshing sound (2-3 wooshes per second) that is either a crappy recording or a wicked compression artifact. The other sounds seem to be better... but the samples are rather short. I'll try it out later and let it run for a while and see if it is annoying or not.
    04-01-09 08:29 AM
    I just bought the "relaxing sounds" app from "app world" so I'll check it out and let you know what I think of it.
    I haven't had a chance to check out the new app store too much, but I did download it this morning. I doubt I'll want to pay for the relaxing sounds app though, unless you find it's really good
    04-01-09 09:15 AM
    I bought the relaxing sounds app from world app it didnt work properly on the storm but they emailed me back and told me to turn off Compatibility Mode
    and after logging back on to world app they'd upgraded it and fixed all the little bugs inc storm problems.
    i love the auto turn on and they added some more "volume" levels.
    I just need to get a speaker pillow from hawkins bazzar and i'll be sorted!
    04-06-09 09:38 AM
    Ha...
    I went into app world... it shows me that there's an upgrade available for this (since I purchased it) but it wants me to pay again for the upgrade. super.
    I emailed support to see if I can get the upgrade for free or if they really want me to pay for it.
    04-06-09 09:53 AM
    here's the screen I get:

pay to upgrade from 2.0.0.0 all the way to 2.0.2.0
    04-06-09 10:03 AM
    FWIW, after contacting support, they gave me a link to download the upgrade for free.
    04-06-09 02:53 PM
    Hey You guys,

You're in luck!

I actually made a Relax app for the blackberry storm!

Hey man, that seems really cool. I'm a poor college student so I can't shell out $7.99 for this app at this time but I'm really glad I started this thread a while back, I knew people would have an interest in a nature app! All they needed was someone to bring it to their attention!

Good luck
    05-17-09 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD