I plan on getting Pearl 9100 at some point in the near future. SMRTguard is the first of the apps that I had planned on installing. After recently reviewing the app, am I to understand that I need to set up an e-mail account just to use this app {bb.net/com, gmail}?

The main feature I'm interested in is the ability to track/trace/disable my device if it should go missing.
    10-27-10 09:17 PM
    Smrtguard - Great Product. I think it's better than 'mylookout' app, which is a very similar app for mobile device security.

The native email is required if you want remote capability to your device (locate phone, track phone, send audio ping, etc.) Otherwise, you can do without the native email. You can still track your phone however, you have to manually turn "Follow Me" on on the device. It does not eat up a lot of data usage however, it does drain your battery a little faster than normal.

The native email is the email account you set-up on the BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) through your BBY's carrier. The Native email is your conduit to your device through the device PIN.

The 30-day free trial should give you enough time to test drive smrtguard. Once it expires, you may choose to pay via subscription either monthly or annually.
    10-29-10 08:11 AM
    That's disappointing that I'm expected to set up a {bb.net/com} account just to use an app but does answer my question. Thanks for the reply Howie.
    10-29-10 04:55 PM
    No problem Blade_27.
    11-10-10 09:11 AM
    Okay I've gotta another question. I've since gotten the 9100 and set up an SMRTGuard account. I was under the impression that SMRTGuard was suppose to run silently in the background unknowingly to any that may get my device. Yet, not only was the their an app icon installed {which has since been hidden}. It's front and center when viewing running applications. How is this work effectively if unwanted people are able to find this app?

Secondly in the event my device should end up stolen, SMRTGuard contacts not me but the device itself {bb.net/com} I'll no longer have access to the email & I can't use the email that I do have access to?
    01-07-11 01:06 AM
    It doesn't matter that someone can "see" that the app is running because they can't turn the app off. (And I don't even recall the information about the app indicating that it "runs silently".)

Secondly, you should set up a secondary email for notifications. The app has provisions for this and recommends this.
    01-07-11 06:04 AM
    Thanks, I may have remembered the runs silently off a similar app. As for the email issues I was under the impression that I could only use bb.net/com.
    01-07-11 09:36 PM
    Nope. Use a secondary email. I have my notifications sent to a Yahoo account.

Also, for general purposes with your @blackberry.net email address, it would be advisable to set up an AutoForward (to another email address) in the BIS settings so that messages sent to that email address will be delivered to somewhere in addition to the device.
    01-08-11 07:28 AM
    Okay I've got another question here. Why is it when I check my tracking feature SMRTGuard maps indicate I've been places that I haven't?

The current location is always accurate. Just the places I haven't been whether it be that day or in the last week.
    01-31-11 10:12 PM
    How far away are the places "you haven't been"?

Could it be GPS bounce or cell tower triangulation?
    02-01-11 06:13 AM
    Up to a mile and the positions are numbered. Also, I never heard of "GPS bounce"
    02-01-11 04:48 PM
    Sounds like normal cell tower triangulation.

Trimble - GPS Tutorial
    02-01-11 05:01 PM
    Last week {between Friday night & Saturday morning} I had a series of audible email notifications with no email. The only time that's ever happened is when my SMRTGuard account has been logged into. I sent two emails the first time I've noticed this and never got a response. I also logged into my account to change my password, which was the only actual time I logged in within the last month.

In the last hour it just happened again, audible email notification with no email???

Is someone else logging into my account, are there security issues I should be made aware of?

I'm the only person who uses my pc and my cell & I've never given anyone any personal info that could be used to compromise my SMRTGuard account.
    03-27-11 10:32 PM
    Case Solved: When using the SMRTGuard spam filter, spam emails are auto-removed. Leaving the audible alert with no email, "phantom" email. So there isn't a security issue.
    04-03-11 12:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD