I was cleaning my BB of unnecessary apps (ICQ, Facebook [Honestly, I never intend to open a Facebook page] etc), and I found this crudely drawn magnifying glass icon labeled "Search Messages" in my Downloads folder. What is this thing? I didn't download it. Is it a hack attempt or a virus? It has the power to bring up messages I supposedly deleted ages ago. I realize the big bad gov't is going to screen my messages whether I like it or not, but I'd prefer that other parties (individual hackers and the like) stay out of my phone.
    06-17-10 09:49 PM
    It is not a hack or virus on your device. The icon is named search, correct? It allows you to search various parts of your BlackBerry to find an email, message, etc. It is for the device user, and it is not someone who is trying to hack you and read your information.
    06-17-10 09:56 PM
    It's called "Search Messages", it's got a crudely drawn icon, and I DIDN'T download it. Why is it in my download folder? Why can it pull up messages that were supposed to be deleted?
    06-17-10 11:54 PM
    It's a search feature that is part of the message menu.

Sounds like you or someone playing with your phone, may have created an icon for it by accident, or something you installed created the icon/shortcut, in the form of a "search" icon.

Go into you message folder, and hit the menu key, scroll down to "search" and
    and I'm sure you will find of you do a search, on your name or a friends name, it will bring up those messages much like the icon/shortcut does.
    06-18-10 02:58 AM
    Yeah, it's always the user blindly screwing around with settings, isn't it? Well not this time. Apparently other people are finding the same thing on their BBs.

Example:
    weird new [search messages] icon - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Even if it were me being a "silly newb"(Which I'm kinda not. I don't play around with things I don't know anything about. I'm not stupid.) , you're not explaining why it shows up in the Downloads folder. [EDIT] Or why it now suddenly disappeared from my Downloads folder, further evidence that it's not just "me playing with my phone".
    Last edited by predcon1; 06-18-10 at 11:30 PM. Reason: New information
    06-18-10 11:27 PM
    Yeah, it's always the user blindly screwing around with settings, isn't it? Well not this time. Apparently other people are finding the same thing on their BBs.

Example:
    weird new [search messages] icon - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Even if it were me being a "silly newb"(Which I'm kinda not. I don't play around with things I don't know anything about. I'm not stupid.) , you're not explaining why it shows up in the Downloads folder. [EDIT] Or why it now suddenly disappeared from my Downloads folder, further evidence that it's not just "me playing with my phone".
    Just dawned on me that I have hidden and moved icons I don't use, so didn't see it until I un-hid everything. The SEARCH icon you have been talking about, is part of the OS, it's always been there and for whatever reason you just didn't notice it until recently.

So looks like you either moved it at one time and didn't pay attention where it had been moved or just plain forgot that you had moved it in the first place. So would not need to be a "silly newb" playing around, or "user blindly screwing around with settings"... but in this case, it got moved some time in the past somehow and I don't think it was Blackberry Gnomes or Trackball Ghosts. Now I have hidden icons and opened menus and even made a call or two in the past, with my BB in my pocket. Is this what happened in your case? I don't know.

But if you check you other folders, I'm sure you will find the icon. I know that changing themes or installing themes, tend to put icons in their default folders, or customized placements based on the theme.
    06-19-10 02:45 AM
    You're not listening. I said I didn't touch anything marked "Search" in the past, and now the icon that was there has disappeared on its own, without me changing any further settings. Additionally, I provided an example of the exact same thing happening to someone else. In fact, here's another one.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=271760 (In this example, one user also describes the app's disappearance.)
    06-19-10 01:41 PM
    It's the Government.

You weren't supposed to see it. It's like Area 51 - it doesn't officially exist.

Here's a picture. It's a crappy looking icon.

Here is what the app looks like.

Here is the options menu.

Here is the menu under "Type"
    Last edited by Willie2Short; 06-19-10 at 05:06 PM.
    06-19-10 04:57 PM
    All joking aside, BlkBear was right about one thing, the Search function found in the Menu on any of the three Messages sections does the exact same thing as this thing does.
    06-19-10 11:41 PM
    All joking aside, BlkBear was right about one thing, the Search function found in the Menu on any of the three Messages sections does the exact same thing as this thing does.

I was able to play around with this mysterious "Search" app before it disappeared again. It seemed to be much more thorough and was able to search in more places than the stock search app.

I wish I was able to document it more than I did.
    06-20-10 02:42 PM
    You're not listening. I said I didn't touch anything marked "Search" in the past, and now the icon that was there has disappeared on its own, without me changing any further settings. Additionally, I provided an example of the exact same thing happening to someone else. In fact, here's another one.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=271760 (In this example, one user also describes the app's disappearance.)
    Per your example (and I was listening), the icon is part of the OS. And normally on the main desktop or setup folder if not there, depending on the theme that is loaded, may be in other folders. Looking at my older 8320 it's there as well, and several other BB's I looked at during this past weekend, all had the Search icon, two BBs had stock OS and all icons in their original placements.

As for it disappearing without changing themes or hiding and un-hiding by accident, can't say. But my icon is there and only takes on a different looks when I install different themes. Never saw the icon in the "example", but would be interesting to find out which theme that example was, to see if I can duplicate the "problem" and vanishing act.
    06-22-10 05:01 AM
    Which leads me to think, that something that was installed, ie. a theme which created the "crude looking icon". But barring a new theme, msg or search app, I'm banking on it being the stock search icon from the OS. As for the transporting winking out of existence trick... can't duplicate it on my end.
    06-22-10 05:08 AM
    I just noticed this same icon last night. Just like you predcon I haven't done anything different. I have a couple apps that run in the background that stay hidden so I know what I have hide and what I haven't. Its not just the standard "search" icon with a magnifying glass but its the glass over an envelope. Don't know where it came from. I'm not that worried about it but I found it a bit strange

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-10 07:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD