I have recently upgraded from 8820 to Bold 9000. I may seem slow to the first adopters, but frankly, I don't care to have the latest phone. I'm more concerned with getting value for money. The following is a list of the best free applications I have found for my Bold, hopefully will be of time saving value to some:

1) Bloomberg mobile - amazing stock market application. Works on wifi

2) Newsrange - free and your feed preferences are saved online. Very easy when upgrading phones or when having multiple phones. Works on wifi

3) WSJ Mobile - Based on the Newsrange platform, but has extras such as stock quotes. Works on wifi

4) Gmail mobile

5) Google Maps

6) Facebook mobile

7) Ubertwitter

8) Mobipocket reader - can convert .pdf files into books. Great stuff

9) Opera mini browser

10) flickr.com mobile - for uploading photos

These I've installed, need more time to evaluate, but good potential:

11) wordpress mobile

12) logmaid - for cleaning/freeing up memory

13) Callsblocker

14) Official Twitter app for bb
    05-01-10 02:32 PM
    I always get the Time one installed whenever I get a new one
    05-01-10 02:47 PM
    Snaptu for social apps and news feed
    Flycast streaming music
    Bolt browser
    +1 on UberTwitter

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-10 02:51 PM
    You aLl didn't indicate what is the remaining app memory after those installed apps

05-01-10 07:51 PM
    Viigo
    Google Maps
    Poynt
    Flixster
    Facebook
    Ubertwitter
    05-01-10 08:48 PM
    I agree with you!!

05-01-10 09:26 PM
    Trying out the Bolt Browser now, it is quite zippy!

05-01-10 09:42 PM
    I have about 17m of application memory after installing my original list of apps.

I tried the Wallpaper shifter app, I like it, although it can only flip through photos placed in the same directory. You cannot pick a root directory and have it use photos from the whole tree.
    05-02-10 03:15 PM
    I just gave the bolt browser 1.7 bb version a try. Fast but it doesn't render a lot of webpges properly. Has good potential but not ready yet. The new opera mini is still the best hands down

05-02-10 08:05 PM
    I just gave the bolt browser 1.7 bb version a try. Fast but it doesn't render a lot of webpges properly. Has good potential but not ready yet. The new opera mini is still the best hands down

I agree. I can't get use to the Opera layout for some reason
    05-02-10 11:56 PM
    I disagree with every one that listed FB as an useful app. It just didn't work for me the way I wanted it to. Quickpull use to be an "essential app." But with the whole os5.0 issue, its lost some of it's appeal. Right now, I'd list Poynt and Bolt as my top 2 fav's.

05-03-10 01:10 AM
    Just tried WSJ. Big disappointment because only paid subscribers get full articles. Looks like an extremely nice app, if I subscribed to WSJ I would definitely use it. As it is, I use Bloomberg (which you mentioned) because you get full articles. Thanks for your post.

For my contribution to the list I would mention bbscanner. It's a neat app that lets you listen in on public radio channels around the world. Pader-Sync.com also puts out great filemanager and SSH clients.
    05-03-10 07:07 AM
    I have to say that my new favorite app for social networking would have to be socialscope. Much more reliable than RIM produducts, and its still in beta! The downside, you may be waiting a while for an invite code, but worth the wait.

05-03-10 07:11 AM
    I use socialbeat in lieu of Socialscope while I wait. Works ok and takes away the need for ubertwitter, FB, MS, and others.
    05-03-10 09:00 AM
    RE comments above:

WSJ articles do need a subscription. But that's the case from their website so its understandable it won't be free from your phone. But the other non-WSJ articles are free to view from the application.

Socialbeat is only on verizon it seems. They are the makers of iskoot as well.

I have just tried Nimbuzz and I am adding this to my original list. This is a great IM app that supports all the IMs plus skype, facebook! And Free. The only drawback is their bb version does not support sending of files and does not support voice chat. Probably has to do with the security of bb devices, not easy to code.
    05-04-10 07:01 AM
    I'll add that ebuddy is also a great free IM app. It is also great to use, but the only reason that I like Nimbuzz more is that it supports skype (no calling but can message).
    05-04-10 07:03 AM
    Where can I get eBuddy for the blackberry?
    05-31-10 01:52 PM
    Beweather free
    Ubertwitter
    Poynt
    Wallpaper shift lite
    Scoremobile
    Bolt

05-31-10 06:01 PM
    Poynt is the best free app I have ever seen!
    05-31-10 08:13 PM
    What gripes me about WSJ.com mobile is that they are beggining to charge for access even if you subscribe to WSJ.com desktop version.

Good Luck
    05-31-10 09:01 PM

Try the new version 2.10 it is incredibly fast, and renders pages correctly that I can't even access using the native browser, I had given it a try before and wasn't special enough for me to make the switch, but how fast it is sense the update I can't look back.

05-31-10 11:47 PM
    Google Voice. Much better than Verizon Visual Voicemail and no $5/month fee.

It transcribes your voice messages and highlights the words as you play back messages so you can follow along & see where the voice recognition screwed up.

You can also send & receive SMS without using messages on your plan allowance.

06-01-10 01:28 AM
    Does anyone know if you can still post Twitter updates via Twitter for Blackberry if you don't have a data plan (but can use BBM, MSN, and other social features)?
    06-01-10 01:33 AM
    I cancelled my WSJ subscription because they wanted to charge me twice! Once for the web version (online subscription) and again for mobile access! Rupert has gone senile. No way....

06-01-10 01:50 AM
    UberTwitter
    Google Voice
    Google Maps
    Dictionary.com app
    Poynt
    Peek-a-Boo
    Bolt
    MaraTick
    ScoreMobile
    TellMeTheTime