Hello,

You know those fancy fonts people use in BBM? I can't see them, not in BBM or the browser. Instead, they appear as black squares. Is there an app I need to install or something I need to do?

Model: Bold 9000 with OS 5.

Any help would be appreciated.
    07-01-12 08:44 AM
    check with them to see if its not an app with some fancy characters first and then ask what kind of font they are using.
    07-01-12 09:02 AM
    I asked, it's not an app. They copy and paste the text from the web.

For example the characters on this page show up as squares on my BB:
    Facebook Symbols (cool text character codes)
    07-01-12 09:10 AM
    Nobody knows?
    07-01-12 05:28 PM
    You need Asian languages installed in order to see those characters.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    07-01-12 06:04 PM
    You need Asian languages installed in order to see those characters.
    Please excuse my ignorance about everything Blackberry, but how do I install Asian languages (and languages in general)?
    07-01-12 09:34 PM
    You will need to download an "all languages" version of your phone OS to your computer. During the install process, you get to choose which languages you want to install.

Edit: this seems to be the latest, most stable "all languages" OS for the 9000. Here are upgrade directions.
    Last edited by raino; 07-01-12 at 10:51 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-01-12 10:39 PM
    Desktop manager/applications and click a check to the language text imput.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-01-12 10:49 PM
    I installed Asian languages through the BlackBerry Desktop Software and I'm now able to see the characters, but some of them still show as square blocks. I might try installing the 'all languages' OS like raino suggested and see if it fixes it.

Thanks all for the help!
    07-06-12 06:33 PM
    I was actually suggesting the "all languages" installer pack so that you could get whatever asian language you wanted. If you really do install *all* languages, you won't have a whole lot of device memory left.

Perhaps a better way to go would be finding out which language those boxed characters are, and installing that specific language (if you haven't already done so.) It is also entirely possible that it's an unsupported/poorly supported dialect.
    07-06-12 08:36 PM
    I only have one language installed then installed certain fonts via a zip file that I got from Zocster and I don't get any black squares I don't have a PC/Laptop at the moment so don't know if I can attach the file for you to download.
    07-06-12 08:48 PM
    I am having a similar issue. Can you please forward the zip file?
    04-09-13 08:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD