I'm hoping someone can help me, I bought a Curve 8900 on the internet and when it arrived I have discovered that it must be from Europe ( the keys have symbols on them that are not on any others I have seen in N.A. ) It works fine as a phone and I can even access the internet but none of the apps work ( Facebook, GMAIL, Windows Live, etc. ). When I try to open the apps I receive a message saying that I need to purchase a data plan, contact my provider. My provider ( in Canada ) thinks that it has been "unlocked for use in Europe" but I think it came from Europe. I have tried downloading and installing the latest OS and it all went well but my apps still don't work. If it was "unlocked" can it be relocked or is it trash. Please help if you can and thanks for taking the time.
    11-15-09 01:42 AM
    Are you sure that you have the correct TCP/IP settings on your phone for your carrier? If those are wrong, then the web may not work right.

Phone up your carrier and ask for the correct TCP/IP settings for internet and how top put them in. Or they may just do it for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 02:06 AM
    If your phone is new, even from Europe, it will work on any GSM carrier worldwide.

You do need a data-plan for all your apps to work properly. Even though you were able to use the internet, you still need to verify that yo have a data-plan in place.

Normally the internet will not work without a data-plan, you should check this.

To set the APN correctly, go to Options, Advanced Options, TCP and use this website Opera Mini Connection Help to determine the APN settings for your carrier.

If the phone refuses to work by the end of next week, you should return it and start a dispute with the vendor on ebay.
    11-15-09 07:30 AM
    Ok, so today I contacted my provider again to inquire about the TCP/IP numbers. The person I spoke with asked me for the pin number and then told me that the phone was reported as lost and service suspended. I was told that it would not work and I need to get a new phone. I guess thats what I get for buying something online but does anybody know if I can fix this, maybe get a new pin or should I give up. I was also told that the IMEI number was different than what my provider supports. This is my first (and most likey last ) blackberry and I know absolutely nothing about them so I am looking to the experts here to tell me what to do.
    Hey anybody want to buy a curve 8900......ha ha.
    11-15-09 07:26 PM
    Sounds like a stolen phone then. I had a feeling this might have been the case.

Return it to the seller and start a dispute. If you paid via paypal, do a chargeback after starting the dispute. Don't even bother contacting the seller directly. Just start the dispute, get your $$ back, return the phone and ebay will do the rest.

I was scammed once before. The chargeback feature is nice. With a report and a button press, I got my $$ back without having to even speak to the crook again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 07:30 PM
    Hey anybody want to buy a curve 8900......ha ha.
    lmao. :P....
    11-15-09 09:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD