I have not really installed anything new recently so I am even more confused!

Theme - BBamp Red

3rd Party Apps

Facebook
    Myspace
    Storm Slider
    Simple Weather
    Pandora
    Slacker
    AP News
    ScoreMobile
    Y! Fan
    SocialScope Lite
    Google Maps
    Instango
    Bolt
    QuickPull
    Amazon
    Where
    Aerize Alerts
    LifeinPocket
    Visual Arts

Games
    Freddy Falling
    Wrath
    Speed
    Storm Yahtzee
    Space Travel
    Sky Climer
    Parking Lot
    Shake on it!
    Storm Simon
    Memory
    Flight Path
    Connect Four
    Brick Breaker Revolution
    StormBingo.

App memory is going all over the place.

Boot up is 24mb. I check about 5 mins later and its down to 10. It then goes down to 2mb. Just made this post and now its back up to 12. How the **** is this possible? Just checked again and its at 5.4mb! When it hits under 3 the phone is very sluggish.
    06-28-09 08:27 PM
    eh, to much stuff installed for the most part. Memory with fluctuate with use. Mine loses 10-15 and levels out and 30ish after 6 hours or so.
    06-28-09 08:32 PM
    Dude that is a lot of apps. You got more than me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-09 08:36 PM
    How can it go from 2 to 12 and then 5 in less than 2 mins? lol

To much stuff installed? What is the purpose of this phone if I cant have a little over 30 apps installed?
    06-28-09 08:36 PM
    How can it go from 2 to 12 and then 5 in less than 2 mins? lol

To much stuff installed? What is the purpose of this phone if I cant have a little over 30 apps installed?
    you can have alot install, but if a couple are written poorly you will leak memory and run into problems like you talk about.

Look you have about 50 MBs of app memory to play with if you install 30-40 games/apps it greatly reduces that. The phones has to have app memory to run also. Like i said most lose atleast 10 from where they start on boot. In your case, you start at 24 and if you lost the 10 you are down to 14. 1 memory leaking app can eat that up in a few hours easy.

A bunch of you apps also update on intervals. Everytime they do this they eat battery life and have to use memory too.

Just things to consider
    06-28-09 08:42 PM
    Why don't you do a 3rd party backup, then reinstall your os without restoring data, manually restore contacts and calendar. Leave all the 3rd party stuff off, then use app loader to add them back one at a time (most used first) and see how your memory responds. You just have too much junk on that thing. As Clint says..."A man's got to know his limitations." So does your phone. It's kind of like wanting a car that will run as fast as a race car, be able to tow a boat or camper, can hold 8 or more passengers, and get 30 miles to the gallon. It's just not possible.
    06-28-09 08:46 PM
    yeah dude the problem is that you are installing applications on a phone and then using the phone for its intended purpose, this causes the storm to perform poorly.

the storm performs best when idle

It's kind of like wanting a car that will run as fast as a race car, be able to tow a boat or camper, can hold 8 or more passengers, and get 30 miles to the gallon. It's just not possible.
    its kinda like wanting an iphone
    06-28-09 08:48 PM
    i got alot of apps on my phone right now but i cant really say anything about my memory right now since im beta testing a theme right now and it is leaking memory like no tomorrow. i start up at 30 and drop to 24 in the first minute.
    06-28-09 09:16 PM
    i don't understand posters saying that he has too many apps...

the whole purpose to spending as much money as we have on these is to use them in this way!!

i myself switch between 6 themes that are always installed on my phone and run about 30 to 40 apps (at least 4 that i can think off the top of my head run in the background at all times).

all that and i run steady at 27 - 35 MB of app memory all day, never perform any soft resets (unless it's because i have to for changes to take effect), and run with almost no lag at any time.

i used to have no more than 2 themes installed on my phone and 15 apps and my mem would run around 15 MB.

the turn-around for me was when i decided spending time to do it right was worth more than having my phone slow as crap. i can't remember who posted the entire thing but what they discovered is that one of the MAIN reasons for memory problems is corrupted files uploaded when upgrading/reloading OS. to eliminate any corrupted files you have to follow these steps, and you will have a MUCH better phone:

1) backup everything as usual
    2) synchronize your address book and calender using outlook
    3) write down all the apps you have, where you can re-download them from, and any activation code for them, and the same for themes (i did this in an excel spreadsheet)
    3) use apploader to reinstall your OS, but only the OS and the RIM programs you want (not the third party apps, options, or any of that other stuff)
    4) sync your outlook address book and calendar back onto your phone
    5) install your third party apps back one by one manually
    6) reset all your phone options to what you want them to be

this process took me around 4 hours last time i did it so it does require time, but if you do it, you will not regret that time spend one bit.

if you do it, you'll realize low app memory/lagging has VERY LITTLE to do with how many apps you have on your phone.
    Last edited by ncsttsccr; 06-28-09 at 09:19 PM.
    06-28-09 09:17 PM
    oh, the reason you do number 1 is just in case something goes wrong, but in no way do you want to use those backups unless you absolutely have to
    06-28-09 09:20 PM
    and i think that even though you used to not have any problems with it, what may have happened to cause that mem # to be all over is a corrupted file just through the course of use of the phone, and reloading like i said should get rid of that inconsistent memory along with the increased overall memory
    06-28-09 09:22 PM
    yeah dude the problem is that you are installing applications on a phone and then using the phone for its intended purpose, this causes the storm to perform poorly.

the storm performs best when idle

its kinda like wanting an iphone
    I call BS here is my app list, I boot with 32-35 MB and average 20-28 through the month. I DO NOT DO BATTERY PULLS:
    Amazon.com
    Anagram
    AP Mobile news
    App store(crackberry)
    Audible
    BBFileScout
    BBlight
    Beyond160
    BB App World
    BB Maps
    BB messenger
    BrickBreaker
    CoinToss for Storm
    Today Plus Hidden theme
    CrackBerrySmash
    Documents To Go
    DynoStorm
    ECOE (Ticketmaster)
    File Manager Pro
    Flight Path
    ForceRadioOn
    FreeTips
    Google Maps
    iheartradio
    KamaSutra
    labyrinth
    LaterDude
    level (free version)
    LocationProfiler
    logmaid
    MemoPad
    MobileBanking (USAA)
    Opera Mini
    Password Keeper
    Pedometer
    Podtrapper
    Poynt
    Quicklaunch
    QuickPull
    RepliGo Reader
    SexyDice
    Simultravel GPS
    Slacker Radio
    Speed Test (cisco)
    Sticher
    StormSketch
    StormSlots
    StormYahtzee
    Tasks
    TVGuide
    Vision for YouTube
    WeatherBug
    BartenderPro

i got alot of apps on my phone right now but i cant really say anything about my memory right now since im beta testing a theme right now and it is leaking memory like no tomorrow. i start up at 30 and drop to 24 in the first minute.
    That isn't necessarily a memory leak that could just be the phone still booting up.
    06-28-09 09:25 PM
    oh, the reason you do number 1 is just in case something goes wrong, but in no way do you want to use those backups unless you absolutely have to
    Does this mean that you have to set up all your email/BIS stuff again? The thought of doing that bums me out. I don't really mind all the other stuff.
    06-28-09 09:29 PM
    That isn't necessarily a memory leak that could just be the phone still booting up.
    no it is a memory leak. i dont regain memory and the developer has already said it leaks, im just waiting for an update.
    06-28-09 09:33 PM
    Does this mean that you have to set up all your email/BIS stuff again? The thought of doing that bums me out. I don't really mind all the other stuff.
    Email and BIS get pushed back to the phone when you register your HRT's.
    06-28-09 09:33 PM
    no it is a memory leak. i dont regain memory and the developer has already said it leaks, im just waiting for an update.
    Do you have your memory cleaner turned on?
    06-28-09 09:34 PM
    ^ we pretty much said the same thing ha

here is my list just as comparison:

APPS:
    Bartender Pro
    BBFile Scout
    BB Weather
    Berry Wars
    BetaME
    Blink
    BOLT
    BubbleBurst
    BuzzMe
    CallBlocker
    DocumentsToGo
    Facebook
    ForceRadioOn
    Google Maps
    Kama Sutra
    Loan Calculator
    MeterBerry
    Mobile Checkbook
    myCallLogs
    MyVerizon
    Nixie Clock
    Pandora
    Parking Lot
    Poynt
    Profiler
    Qik
    QuickLaunch
    Shake On It!
    Shazam
    ShrinkIt
    Slacker Radio
    Verizon Song ID
    SpeedTest
    StopTilt
    VisualArts Wallpaper Changer
    Vlingo
    Word Shuffle
    YouMail Visual Voicemail
    ZonaSnap

THEMES:
    Elle
    HTC
    MacOS
    Minimanl Bold
    NFL Panthers
    VistaComplete
    StormKick
    Zune/Windows Mobile 6.5 Remix
    06-28-09 09:35 PM
    Do you have your memory cleaner turned on?
    no. it is the theme trust me. my phone never dropped memory like this until i installed the theme. but thanks for trying to help.
    06-28-09 09:37 PM
    no. it is the theme trust me. my phone never dropped memory like this until i installed the theme. but thanks for trying to help.
    I have no doubt that the theme is leaking. They all leak except for the default Zen theme. I suggest turning the cleaner on to run when the phone is idle as it will aid in not destroying your app memory as bad.
    06-28-09 09:39 PM
    gtstang, did you one by one install all of your apps back after a clean OS install instead of installing them from a backup? God this seems like its going to take a while. Might have to wait a few days until I get enough free time to do this!

FYI my app memory is at 1.8!
    06-28-09 09:42 PM
    I have no doubt that the theme is leaking. They all leak except for the default Zen theme. I suggest turning the cleaner on to run when the phone is idle as it will aid in not destroying your app memory as bad.
    ya im hoping to get the update soon to fix the leak. and im not to worried about it now since the week is starting and i dont really use my phone much while im working.
    06-28-09 09:44 PM
    i wish i could remember who it was that first pushed this idea! i wasn't but 2 or 3 weeks ago and i can't even remember what subforum it was in!

and yes it is VERY time consuming so don't do it unless you are satisfied with your OS, because it'll make you never want to change again lol

esp the first time it will take forever while you get used to the best way to load them back on manually, but i can do the whole process now in 2-3 hrs.
    06-28-09 09:46 PM
    try deleting ur theme, themes have a rep on mem leaks
    06-28-09 09:48 PM
    try deleting ur theme, themes have a rep on mem leaks
    i would if i wasnt beta testing it. plus i really like it.
    06-28-09 09:50 PM
    I will try getting rid of the theme but I don't believe it's going to help
    06-28-09 10:21 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD