And if they dont have one, why not? If the old mytouch3g could play youtube videos in full screen with really good quality, why can't the storm2?

The youtube mobile site is terrible, and the old youtube app for blackberry is as well, any ideas?

What are some must have apps?

I also notice that in blackberry app world when I select a program and hit reviews, I get an error messages I cant read the reviews ever.

No good way to sort the apps, if I select free, it only shows me maybe 25, and not all of them in order (hundreds) from the most downloaded to the least

If I go to categories, I can look around, but I would like to sort the most downloaded, maybe 100 per page

Do they have any apps that let you make one post, that will go to myspace, twitter, and facebook at once? Like tweetdeck?
    05-25-10 04:43 PM
    Optimize it for HQ. At the bottom of the youtube site, there is a help link. Clink on it and look for Optimizing for HQ in the FAQ. Problem solved. You van do a search on this, there is a good step by step solution.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-10 06:04 PM
    TaskManager is a must have for me. It tells you what apps you have running so you can keep your battery life up.

05-26-10 07:05 AM
    Google Mobile app is a must-have for me. Bing sucks!

05-26-10 08:06 AM
    I use an app called 'Player for YouTube'

not perfect but works well enough for me, especially for a free app.
    05-26-10 09:05 AM
    BerryWeather is def a must have
    05-26-10 09:18 AM
    ditto Berry Weather and Google search.

For corporate users: Docs to Go - use almost constantly to look at and edit docs and especially .pdfs. No better way to view .pdfs. Tether - seamless tehthering and easiest application registration.
    For navigation - Garmin Mobile.
    For Running - BIM (Bodies in Motion- this is a free Ap)
    For Games - Need for Speed 3d - likely best game made for S2; PBA Bowling 3d - Excellent use of S2 capabilities - great time waster. (As a personal aside I bought and tried Tank Recon3d and Pinball Deluxe and deleted both in days. Tank is in my opinion bloated and expensive and does not deliver decent game play. PD is just ok, but i often find myself pressing call or other buttons while trying to play, and its not optimized for S2's capabilites.
    Other - MLB2010 - not bad (slow to load, and audio is 2 min behind; last year's on-line version was much better) only way to officially listen to games.
    Orb.com - If your computer has a tv tuner, download the software to your computer, no application on BB necessary, just go to the site and log in, and have acess to yout tv tuner, music, documents, pics etc..
    05-26-10 09:49 AM
    I tried the "optimize" youtube link, and its still terrible. What could be wrong? The videos don't fill the screen, or look good at all
    05-26-10 02:37 PM
    It's actually not a problem with the Blackberry at all.

This is an issue on YouTube's side.

The diff. in quality is because of the way (format) in which video's are streamed to the iPhone/iPod vs. the Storm series.

you should be able to find the answer if you search (yes, i'm too lazy to look up the streaming protocols myself).
    05-26-10 02:42 PM
    1. QuickLaunch
    2. CrunchSMS
    3. Where
    4. Slacker Radio
    5. Opera Mini 5 (I just don't like the default)

Second time posting this list today.

As for posting to twitter, facebook and myspace at the same time, I just send an sms to twitter (40404 after u activate your phone on twitter) and use a facebook app called SelectiveTweets that automatically puts that sweet as a status update. All I have to do is type #fb at the end and it sends it to facebook. Idk about myspace as I don't use it.

Edit: actually the only reason I use SelectiveTweets is because I want my tweets to go to my fanpage, not my personal facebook page. It would be even easier to send an sms to twitter (40404) and Facebook (32665) as multiple recipients. Again, you have to activate facebook mobile. And myspace might even have a way to do this. I haven't checked.
    Last edited by jgreen1tc; 05-26-10 at 05:40 PM.
    05-26-10 05:30 PM
    Edit: double post

05-26-10 05:37 PM
    For Running - BIM (Bodies in Motion- this is a free Ap)
    Couldn't find that app in a search on this forum or even a general Google search. Have any more info on it?

For the OP: BerryWeather (or BeWeather as its known thru App World) and SocialScope (for posting to multiple social feeds like Twitter and Facebook) are great.
    Last edited by carolinaberry; 05-26-10 at 05:51 PM.
    05-26-10 05:48 PM
    Couldn't find that app in a search on this forum or even a general Google search. Have any more info on it?
    I was also interested. GPSed isn't cutting it for me. I found BIM on app world although its called Bones In Motion, not Bodies In Motion. It does seem to be a good easy to use mileage/pace tracker.

05-26-10 06:48 PM
    I use google's youtube app which works really really good! I don't know why it isnt available through normal channels, but with the BB browser link, you can upload it and it works like a charm!

Google the phrase "youtube blackberry google app"

The link to the .jad is floating around here somewhere...
    05-26-10 09:29 PM
    I was also interested. GPSed isn't cutting it for me. I found BIM on app world although its called Bones In Motion, not Bodies In Motion. It does seem to be a good easy to use mileage/pace tracker.

Thanks for that. I'll have to give it a shot, but I mainly want a solid running log with graphs. I can't imagine running with my S2 strapped to me. Maybe if RIM made a Blackberry the size of an iPod Shuffle, I could do that.
    05-26-10 09:50 PM
    Thanks for that. I'll have to give it a shot, but I mainly want a solid running log with graphs. I can't imagine running with my S2 strapped to me. Maybe if RIM made a Blackberry the size of an iPod Shuffle, I could do that.
    Personally, I have never found a better running log than the one on flotrack.org. I set it to one of my opera mini speed dials and I can log pretty quick. And then its got some running news on the site as well.

05-26-10 10:54 PM
    Personally, I have never found a better running log than the one on flotrack.org. I set it to one of my opera mini speed dials and I can log pretty quick. And then its got some running news on the site as well.

Thanks, though I've gotten very frustrated that there doesn't appear to be any running log app with any features which doesn't turn into an overblown app that encompasses every potential aspect of fitness. Think of all the people with Blackberrys who are runners. I'm completely baffled why the type of app I'm looking for hasn't been developed. I'm frustrated enough that I may just develop such an app myself if the cost in dollars and time doesn't prove to be prohibitive.

Hate to say it, but I got spoiled by an app I used from a small British developer when I was still using Windows Mobile some years ago that was small in scale but big on the features a runners needs.

Anyway, to the OP, I hope the previous suggestions help get you started in the right direction.
    05-27-10 10:35 AM
    Runners: what are you looking for? Bones in Motion tracks you while you are exercising which you then upload to their site and you have a map of your run (satellite or regular), distance traveled, average speed, difficulty rating (1-5 scale), pace, time, calories...heck it even tells you what the weather was like during your run.

There are arm bands available that the Storm will fit in, and you can listen to music with the storm if you do that when running, so it's really a matter of getting used to it I think. It could replace your iPod/MP3 player so you only have one thing attached to you.
    05-27-10 11:45 AM
    Runners: what are you looking for? Bones in Motion tracks you while you are exercising which you then upload to their site and you have a map of your run (satellite or regular), distance traveled, average speed, difficulty rating (1-5 scale), pace, time, calories...heck it even tells you what the weather was like during your run.

There are arm bands available that the Storm will fit in, and you can listen to music with the storm if you do that when running, so it's really a matter of getting used to it I think. It could replace your iPod/MP3 player so you only have one thing attached to you.
    For my purposes, I'm much more interested in having data on the phone than having extra "features". User-defined time periods for performance comparison (Day vs Day, Wk vs Wk, Mo vs Mo, Course vs Course, etc), user-defined workouts (Intervals, Hills, Fartleks, etc) with the same ability to compare workouts in graphic detail is what I'm looking for. Side-by-side period/workout comparison is what I'm looking for. Adding notations to runs (injuries, course condition, etc) are also important.

It's all about measuring progress. Raw numbers alone don't tell the story for me. Having a Blackberry app upload your data to a repository is fine, but I don't want to have to use a browser to review my data.
    05-27-10 01:40 PM
    For my purposes, I'm much more interested in having data on the phone than having extra "features". User-defined time periods for performance comparison (Day vs Day, Wk vs Wk, Mo vs Mo, Course vs Course, etc), user-defined workouts (Intervals, Hills, Fartleks, etc) with the same ability to compare workouts in graphic detail is what I'm looking for. Side-by-side period/workout comparison is what I'm looking for. Adding notations to runs (injuries, course condition, etc) are also important.

It's all about measuring progress. Raw numbers alone don't tell the story for me. Having a Blackberry app upload your data to a repository is fine, but I don't want to have to use a browser to review my data.
    Have you actually tried BiM? I ask because it does have at least some of the things you are looking for...I'm not sure what you mean by you want data on the phone rather than extra features. BiM on my Blackberry is very straightforward, and once you've uploaded your data you can view it on your phone. There are various progress charts...and it looks like there is a day vs. day and month vs. month. You can define what periods you want to look at. You can add user-defined workouts. There is a notes section for each activity.

I think you might be underestimating what BiM can do, and it's not a "fluff" program on the Blackberry. You might not get all the same data elements on your phone as on the website, but there's a good bit.

It's a free program...maybe check it out.
    05-28-10 10:16 AM
    Have you actually tried BiM? I ask because it does have at least some of the things you are looking for...I'm not sure what you mean by you want data on the phone rather than extra features. BiM on my Blackberry is very straightforward, and once you've uploaded your data you can view it on your phone. There are various progress charts...and it looks like there is a day vs. day and month vs. month. You can define what periods you want to look at. You can add user-defined workouts. There is a notes section for each activity.

I think you might be underestimating what BiM can do, and it's not a "fluff" program on the Blackberry. You might not get all the same data elements on your phone as on the website, but there's a good bit.

It's a free program...maybe check it out.
    Actually, I haven't used it but plan to. When my replacement phone gets here next week, that is. If it will show me the money on my S2, it'll be golden in my book. I've just had some reservations on what it can deliver based on the limited screenshots (and descriptions) their site shows, but it does seem to be above what else I've found for Blackberry so far.
    05-28-10 06:50 PM
    Actually, I haven't used it but plan to. When my replacement phone gets here next week, that is. If it will show me the money on my S2, it'll be golden in my book. I've just had some reservations on what it can deliver based on the limited screenshots (and descriptions) their site shows, but it does seem to be above what else I've found for Blackberry so far.
    I might be overly optimistic...but I think you will be pleasantly surprised. My needs aren't as advanced as yours and I was extremely surprised.
    05-29-10 09:38 AM
    I might be overly optimistic...but I think you will be pleasantly surprised. My needs aren't as advanced as yours and I was extremely surprised.
    What I was looking for I don't think of as advanced where a solid log app is concerned. I've used logs on other platforms that were stand-alones and the list of parameters one would want recorded isn't exactly complicated.

Having said that, I found BIM to be a no-go out the gate. It is only a client app which relies on data entry from a PC. It's just like so many apps that seem to believe that if you can record your GPS route, it tells you everything you could want to know. That is the fundamental flaw of apps like this because they simply cannot gain enough useful data by GPS.

I'll either go with a separate device (UGH!) or, if I can muster the courage, develop my own app that knocks this little area of need out of the park like it can and should.
    06-16-10 06:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD