Greetings!

I'll be switching from my old Treo 755P to a 9650 tomorrow. I've never used a blackberry phone before and am trying to get up to speed.

What are the must have apps for a blackberry? Which apps are truly amazing and that you just can't live without?

Thanks,
    Tom
    06-06-10 09:54 PM
    What will you use for syncing your calendar and address book? Will you be on BIS or BES?
    B B

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-10 06:06 AM
    The best must have app, AutoStandBy does not and will likely never work with OS 5.0 and up.

After that, I'd go with QuickPull BerryPopUp, BerrySilent, BBWeather or Accuweather BB push, Tether, etc.

Now that I have 12 times the file free as my 8320, I'll be investing in some new apps myself.
    06-07-10 06:51 AM
    What will you use for syncing your calendar and address book? Will you be on BIS or BES?
    B B

I will sync calender and address book. I assume BIS as my firm doesn't have it's own blackberry server. Although I'm new so I'm not sure if I know all of the acronyms and services yet.
    06-07-10 10:24 AM
    Berrybuzz, google sync
    06-07-10 10:34 AM
    QuickPull
    Leave it On
    BerryBuz
    IntelliLaunch (assign to one of your convenience keys)
    TellMeTheTime
    ZoneSnap

These utilities become a part of your OS in effect and make the device much easier to use. They work in the background and other than QuickPull you do not have to go to them once set up.

Poynt
    Viigo
    AP News
    BeWeather (free)
    DriveSafe.ly (free)
    GoogleMaps
    MetrO
    BerryUnitConverter
    XE Currency
    Dictionary.com
    FlyCast

All are free and very useful IMO.

World's best theme:

BerryBliss Non-hidden today

Enjoy!

BlazorBoy
    06-07-10 11:58 AM
    I will sync calender and address book. I assume BIS as my firm doesn't have it's own blackberry server. Although I'm new so I'm not sure if I know all of the acronyms and services yet.
    I still use my 755p for the own stuff and love the Palm OS with a hard syncable copy on my hard drive. No need to do that OTA.

I have a BES BB from work and that syncs with a Lotus Notes Server. Once I no longer have the BES, I am not sure how I will be able to use the BB. There seems no way to sync with the Palm Desktop. Do not like the thought of going to Outlook or any cloud based system. I note that gmail cannot hold the full content of some of my 3K+ contacts.

Do let me know what solution you hit upon.

Thanks and good luck!

BlazorBoy
    06-07-10 12:04 PM
    Pardon my ignorance, but why is QuickPull a good app to have? Do BBs require a lot of resets to work better?
    06-14-10 10:50 AM
    You shouldn't need QuickPull, or frequent resets, on a 9650. Don't get any sort of memory management app. If you do have concerns about your device memory, check back here and see what other people are doing.

QuickPull or frequent resets can be important maintenance tools for the older models, like my Curve.
    06-14-10 12:33 PM
    Pardon my ignorance, but why is QuickPull a good app to have? Do BBs require a lot of resets to work better?
    A battery pull or quick pull will usually fix some annoying problem your having. Also a hard reset is required for installing/deleting some apps. It can be kind of annoying but I probably do a reset once every to weeks and yes sometimes it is to make it run smoother. I also have the red headed step child of bb so maybe its just me

06-14-10 12:37 PM
    Installing or uninstalling apps almost always will initiate the reset for you (if it is required), so you don't need an app for that, and you won't need to physically remove the battery. But you always could if the thing gets truly locked up.
    06-14-10 01:15 PM
    I'll add to the list Quick Launch, AddOnIs.
    06-14-10 01:37 PM
    I have a Tour 9630, which in many ways is similar to the newer Bold 9650 that you will be getting.
    My personal experience is that I have never had a need for an app like QuickPull, because my phone runs smoothly. Very rare that I do a battery pull.

My 10 favorite, most-used apps, in order of importance to me:
    1. MailMinder (manages spam / unwanted email)
    2. QuickLaunch (quick, easy access to virtually anything on your BB)
    3. Viigo (news, sports, weather)
    4. BerryWeather ("BeWeather" in App World, favorite app for weather, a must-have app worth paying for premium version)
    5. Dragon for Email (verbal email dictation)
    6. Pandora (streaming music)
    7. AP (Associated Press)
    8. MP3 Ringtone Creator (easily turn MP3 files into personalized ringtones)
    9. One Touch Flashlight (flashlight at your finger tips anytime)
    10. "Looks Great" Tip Calculator
    06-14-10 06:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD