Hi everyone. I recently downloaded Vlingo and really like it, but I had to give up one of my convenience keys. Are there any other apps (besides Shortcutme) that would allow me to have multiple actions tied to my convenience keys? I say besides Shortcutme because I already own Quicklaunch. Thanks for your help.
    12-14-09 03:08 PM
    If you set quicklaunch to select the app on clicking of the convenience key, you could put vlingo as the top app, so a double tap of the convenience key would basically do what you are asking. I know it is for only one app though.
    12-14-09 03:25 PM
    Just tried that and it doesn't work because when I double tap the convenience key, it actually opens Vlingo instead of the voice recorder(?). Thanks for your response, though.
    12-14-09 03:35 PM
    Just tried that and it doesn't work because when I double tap the convenience key, it actually opens Vlingo instead of the voice recorder(?). Thanks for your response, though.
    I used to have one conv. key for quicklauch, and the other for Qsms, now I have combined those two onto one key, qsms being the top item on quicklauch so a double-tap will open qsms, single will just open quicklaunch, and the other conv. key is vlingo. Works for me so far, but I do remember a few months back seeing another app similar to quicklaunch that would assign a double/triple click of the conv. key to do whatever you want, but I don't remember the name of the app.
    12-14-09 03:40 PM
    though you already have QL i can't help but rave about SCM. i do use the reg shortcuts, but it's the multi-convenience key shortcuts that i mainly use.
    12-14-09 03:41 PM
    I had the same problem with the Tour. It seems that Vlingo takes full control of the covenience key it assigned to, making any subsequent assignments of that key unusable while Vlingo is installed. I use Quicklaunch a lot too, but a recent experience with the Reload Software 552 error (requires a reload of the system OS), made me realize that I didn't have my QL shortcuts backed up like I had thought. So, while I try to remember all of the 110+ shortcuts I had assigned to QL, I am trying out the new version of ShortcutMe. Out of curiosity to your post, I tried Vlingo with ShortcutMe and sure enough it rendered every command that SCM gave to the key unusable with Vlingo assigned to that key. I also tried to setup Vlingo without a convenience key assigned and it would not allow me to do it. So, I have come to conclusion that it is best to use the opposite convenience key of the one that you have assigned Vlingo to, for Quicklaunch or ShortcutMe, and then use the app that you had assigned to that other convenience key to a shortcut within your shortcut app. For example, if Vlingo is assigned to the left key, then assign Quicklaunch to your right key, and if you had your camera assigned to right key, just make it a shortcut in QL. But, if you have Vlingo, then you know you can launch your camera via voice. Of course, if you are in a quiet spot, you wouldn't want to use your voice!

It is true that with SCM, you'd get more apps assigned to other hard keys, so even though you lose that one key that you assign to Vlingo, you'd still be able to use the alt and enter keys for different apps with SCM. Like so many others, I bought QL before I knew of SCM, and once you buy one, it's hard to justify buying the other. But, it may be worth checking out and using it if you assign a lot of shortcuts, like I do.
    12-17-09 01:06 AM
    I wish they would allow user of the key from within the vlingo app only cause I hate having to lose a conv. key. there is only 2 keys and every app seems to want it. QL was smart enough to allow the spacebar. Vlingo is being greedy by requiring a key for it to work
    03-25-10 05:15 PM
    A whole lot of good stuff and advice in this thread. But, I believe the obvious problem in general is that Vlingo must be utilized with a constant pressure of the convenience key (as opposed to a short press of other keys) in order to execute voice commands that are spoken into it. Time is needed to listen to your spoken sentence.

Trying to use Vlingo on a "quick press" key or shortcut, would only open the app. Remember, the convenience keys are the ONLY keys on a BlackBerry which can accept multiple or long key presses (which Vlingo needs).

I hope I explained this clearly as I see it. Good will to all!
    03-25-10 05:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD