As we all know, the old Grindr thread got the axe. With help from cb (amazinglygraceless - ps, ur awesome) we was able to figure a way to re-open our review about the new beta program.

With research completed, the reason the old forums were closed were due to the links to download the app, and the screenshots we had of the program. So no more of that...

Grindr is an app for gay men to meet each other and talk to each other. Think of it as gaydar for people with the iphone & bb(whens its released). The straight version and lesbian version are in "development" and we shall see what happens when they get realeased. To sign up for the beta, check this out.

On other notes, 1.0.5.7.10 is a great build, still issues with memory leaks and the sound is still not controlled by the profiles, and the biggest gripe (not the only one) is the no push notifications that is on the iphone grindr (xtra) but not on the bb grindr (xtra). No official word on release date.
    Last edited by sourkevin; 06-22-10 at 03:31 PM. Reason: the force is strong in this one
    06-22-10 02:48 PM
    Thank you for the kind words Kevin. I would be remiss to not point out that through
    our entire discussion you were nothing short of polite, reasonable and a true
    gentleman.
    06-22-10 04:29 PM
    Without Push notifications (as a chat app will not happen anytime soon), LED notifications (customized or otherwise), icon notifications, Profiles integration, etc. Grindr seems to be a waste on the BlackBerry. I have deleted the app from my BlackBerry and may reinstall at some point if these improvements are made. As it stands I can't see it taking up any space on my BlackBerry right now.
    06-23-10 12:06 AM
    I completely agree, the only reason i keep it on my phone is to mess with eddie.
    06-23-10 12:09 AM
    It looks like a new version was released; .11

The only difference I noticed is the "Location updates in background" option in the settings screen.

Not sure what it does or what it means, set to OFF by default.
    06-23-10 04:55 PM
    (1.0.5.7.11) Im hoping they keep the keyboard shortcuts as part of the regular build, that was they only think i kinda missed from 10 -> 11. The Location Updates in Background should allow the program to "refresh" itself in the background and possibly use data while downloading progressively more and more profiles at the expense of our memory.
    06-24-10 12:53 AM
    least it's optional.
    06-25-10 12:16 PM

On other notes, 1.0.5.7.10 is a great build, still issues with memory leaks and the sound is still not controlled by the profiles, and the biggest gripe (not the only one) is the no push notifications that is on the iphone grindr (xtra) but not on the bb grindr (xtra). No official word on release date.
    Yeah, memory leaks are a MAJOR issue with .10 and .11- I do not recall having this problem with .9 at all.. and the lack of push notifications is irritating. What I may need to do is tinker with BBSAK like I did when I got the Hybrid OS- something that I changed on there actually stopped the memory leaks from all other apps- so it's just me having to re-trace the steps I used in that instance to see if it works.
    06-26-10 08:59 PM
    I'm hoping someone can help, I got the notification that there was an upgrade available but when I went to download the .11 version I get an error about it being an invalid cod? What should I do?
    06-27-10 09:33 PM
    I'm hoping someone can help, I got the notification that there was an upgrade available but when I went to download the .11 version I get an error about it being an invalid cod? What should I do?
    I got that notification too.. downloaded the .11, but when I went back to the link a few days later, it was pointing to a downgrade to .7.. that may be what the issue is
    06-27-10 09:36 PM
    hmm that would be odd, it told me it was .11 I'm currently on xtra.10 so I don't know what the deal is
    06-27-10 09:53 PM
    I'm going to try to delete grindr, then reinstall. I'll let you know how that goes
    06-27-10 09:55 PM
    Deleting and reinstalling did the trick.
    06-27-10 10:03 PM
    i have the .11 but how do you get the xtra version
    06-28-10 02:51 PM
    has any one ever addressed the clumsiness of sending photos or adding a photo to your profile? i find it very difficult to navigate through the screen as it lists the photos by the file name and the thumbnail is soo tiny. It would be nice if they could make the thumbnail bigger to scroll through and drop the file name all together. I think it would make it a lot easier to navigate through the menus.
    06-28-10 04:32 PM
    I just got a notification to beta test this, though I'm not sure why now. I'm sure when I entered my info on their site, I selected that I have at Storm 9550, but the build is clearly not for a touch phone. It took me 10 minutes just to get a photo added, which was moot as I couldn't type anything on the keyboard. I've already deleted it.
    06-28-10 09:18 PM
    hahahah, adicted had it working... for the most part...
    06-29-10 03:57 AM
    yes it is working fine for me now...ill give the heads up to Joey how to work it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-10 04:22 PM
    well... i think this app has some potential. i am not impressed with the spinning clock that comes up sporadically.. must be because im in chicago and there are a **** ton of guys loading.... anyway im not going to nitpick everything about the app, like its lack of notification customization, or why every time i log on, it never fails to show i have a chat from a nameless faceless person, go click it, and nothing happens... other than that, hey at least this one works unlike the previous version...
    07-02-10 08:25 AM
    I just downloaded the other day and it took me at least 15 tries to upload a photo. My camera is set to the highest setting and of course all my good pics are just too large to upload. I ended up taking a temporary low quality photo until I could resize my better photos in Photoshop. I don't know what they recommended photo size is but photos that are 300-400kb are apparently too large. I got my photo down to 30kb by saving for web in photoshop. Hope this helps.
    07-02-10 11:26 PM
    Hey, guys. I've been a beta tester for about a month now. Started ok but for some reason last week it just stopped working. I've been in contact with support but they have no idea why it won't work for me.
    I have a blackberry bold and was running build .11 and my carrier is t-mobile. When I run grindr the grindr page loads but there is nothing to view. No profiles or anything. It eventually times out. I've tried everything and nothing. Can anyone help? For as crappy as this app I have to admit I've been having a lot of fun. That's why I'm having withdrawals. Lol. Hope someone can help.
    07-03-10 01:58 AM
    Blackberry 9700 if it matters.
    07-03-10 01:59 AM
    Ugh, I switched to the HTC Evo three weeks ago and Android's version of Grindr (called Encountr) is a MESS! Fortunately, I still have my deactivated 9700 (which runs off wifi for Grindr) and I'm running the old 1.0.5.7.9 build. I'm an official beta tester but I wanted to know how to update or delete and re-install the grindr app to my BB manually since I have no BIS/BES data.
    07-04-10 10:02 AM
    I'm running 1.0.5.7.9

With .9 I can send pics but the person can't open and view them. Chats sometimes won't open also.
    Thanks

Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 07-10-10 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Link request
    07-05-10 01:13 PM
    Ahhh so jealous. I signed up a while back to be a beta tester but never heard a thing. Would love to give this a spin. All my iPhone buddies talk about it, and I feel so left out being on the Bold. Some people here have mentioned they've deleted their program because they didn't like it, I'd gladly take their place

07-05-10 04:46 PM
296 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD