I tried posting this on another forum and didn't really get an answer that made sense so I thought I would try here, which I should have done to begin with. I know... my bad LOL

So my question is, what is the difference between removing an app through the device itself versus using Desktop Manager (DM)? Is one more efficient than the other?

The other day I removed four apps using DM. After my device rebooted I viewed the device memory through my media folder and one of the apps had left behind some kind of document. As to what it was exactly I do no know as it wouldn't allow me to view it. Being that I had just deleted the app though I just manually deleted the document as well.

I've also noticed when I remove apps using DM my device always reboots whereas if I remove an app through the device itself it seldom prompts me to do so.

This also has me curious because I recently had my BB replaced after having an OS update that messed everything up. My old device was using approximately 27% of the device memory. My replacement device has ALL of the same apps but is only using 12%. So I'm thinking since I had downloaded and removed apps from my old device maybe the remnants of those removed apps account for the 15% difference. Like they had left behind documents or some other form of data.

Could someone explain to me the difference between the two app removal methods, as well as which method is more efficient?

Thanks in advance to those who reply!
    10-29-10 09:49 AM
    I always delete on the device, then restart.
    10-29-10 10:01 AM
    I always delete on the device, then restart.
    I primarily use the device as well, mainly because its more convenient as well as it doesn't always require a reboot. DM always reboots my device and it takes forever LOL!
    10-29-10 10:04 AM
    Hmm. That sounds like a very familiar answer.

"...Just delete the app on the device and the app is gone. There is no difference between using DM to remove the app and removing the app right on the device."
    10-29-10 11:05 AM
    Hmm. That sounds like a very familiar answer.

"...Just delete the app on the device and the app is gone. There is no difference between using DM to remove the app and removing the app right on the device."
    Great, just what I need, a forum stalker.

I just posted my final reply on Blackberry, so please just get your last word in over there and leave me alone and I'll do the same.

Thanks!
    10-29-10 11:41 AM
    Deleting it in Options/Applications should get rid of the app's program and any data that came with it, but may or may not get rid of persistent data and settings created by the app after it was installed. That can remain and build up, for example, as you test many free trials and delete them.

For apps that store data as custom "classes", that data should be automatically removed when the app is completely uninstalled, because the class definition no longer exists. That's why many apps lose their settings when uninstalled and reinstalled.

However, apps that store data as generic types, such as vectors of long integers, will not have their data automatically deleted. (This is why you often can't reset your free trial of an app by uninstalling and reinstalling; the app has stored at least some data in such a way that it doesn't get deleted with the app.) For a complete uninstall, the app would have to provide a function to delete its data before you uninstall it. Since the app will not automatically be notified that it's about to be uninstalled, that function would have to be manual.

I don't think there's any "clean-up" app that could be written for this. Probably the only way to clean out such build-up is to wipe the phone and reload it.

Speaking for my own apps, what they all do is save settings and any "big" data in custom classes, so all that gets deleted automatically when you uninstall. But license manager data such as how many free-trial uses are left, is stored in such a way that it remains. That's so small that it doesn't matter.
    10-29-10 12:24 PM
    Deleting it in Options/Applications should get rid of the app's program and any data that came with it, but may or may not get rid of persistent data and settings created by the app after it was installed. That can remain and build up, for example, as you test many free trials and delete them.

For apps that store data as custom "classes", that data should be automatically removed when the app is completely uninstalled, because the class definition no longer exists. That's why many apps lose their settings when uninstalled and reinstalled.

However, apps that store data as generic types, such as vectors of long integers, will not have their data automatically deleted. (This is why you often can't reset your free trial of an app by uninstalling and reinstalling; the app has stored at least some data in such a way that it doesn't get deleted with the app.) For a complete uninstall, the app would have to provide a function to delete its data before you uninstall it. Since the app will not automatically be notified that it's about to be uninstalled, that function would have to be manual.

I don't think there's any "clean-up" app that could be written for this. Probably the only way to clean out such build-up is to wipe the phone and reload it.

Speaking for my own apps, what they all do is save settings and any "big" data in custom classes, so all that gets deleted automatically when you uninstall. But license manager data such as how many free-trial uses are left, is stored in such a way that it remains. That's so small that it doesn't matter.
    OMG thank you so much for fully explaining your answer. What you said makes perfect sense and I think I have a far better understanding of it now than I did before.

Thanks again and I really appreciate your taking the time to really answer me and explain
    10-29-10 12:32 PM
    Hmmm...

Which, again, is almost EXACTLY what I said in my answer on the "other forum."

LSphone is obviously a software developer with a much more technical understanding and gave a much more technical answer. However, it's the same explanation that I gave you earlier.
    10-29-10 12:47 PM
    theres not uninstall app??? haiz

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    10-29-10 01:33 PM
    Hmmm...

Which, again, is almost EXACTLY what I said in my answer on the "other forum."

LSphone is obviously a software developer with a much more technical understanding and gave a much more technical answer. However, it's the same explanation that I gave you earlier.
    John I say this with all due respect...

I have the right to post the same ? on as many forums as I want to compare answers and get the best understanding that I can. That is after all what these forums are for. Blackberry.com has already resolved our issue as far as I'm concerned and I would appreciate it if you would stop carrying over your issue there to other forums.

Now can we PLEASE move on
    10-29-10 01:34 PM
    I noticed on my Bold, running OS 6, I can highlight an app, press my BB Menu key and seletect Delete. This option wasn't available on my GF's Torch. Is there a different way to delete 3rd Party Apps on the Torch?
    10-29-10 03:21 PM
    That's the easiest way. You can also delete from the list of applications in Application management in options.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-10 03:29 PM
    I noticed on my Bold, running OS 6, I can highlight an app, press my BB Menu key and seletect Delete. This option wasn't available on my GF's Torch. Is there a different way to delete 3rd Party Apps on the Torch?
    I believe this thread will answer your question...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/to...l-apps-514102/
    10-29-10 03:29 PM
    theres not uninstall app??? haiz
    Yes. They've made it is so simple now it hurts.

Method #1: Highlight the app on your Home Screen / App Screen / Folder, click your MENU key, select Delete.

Method #2
    a) OS 4.X: Go to Options > Advanced Options > Applications, scroll down to highlight app, click MENU, select Delete.
    b) OS 5.0: Go to Options > Applications, scroll down to highlight app, click MENU, select Delete.
    c) OS 6.0: Launch Universal Search or enter Options app, start typing "App," select Application Management, start typing name of app, highlight it, click MENU, select Delete.

Method #3: For apps downloaded from App World, open App World, open My World, scroll down to highlight app, click MENU, select Delete.

So pretty much you just find the app wherever, have the icon focus there, and choose Delete from the Menu.
    10-29-10 03:35 PM
    I have this option on my Torch. I just double-checked.

Does she have an older OS perhaps? The most current ones are 6.0.0.246 or 284.
    10-29-10 03:39 PM
    Yes. They've made it is so simple now it hurts.

Method #1: Highlight the app on your Home Screen / App Screen / Folder, click your MENU key, select Delete.

Method #2
    a) OS 4.X: Go to Options > Advanced Options > Applications, scroll down to highlight app, click MENU, select Delete.
    b) OS 5.0: Go to Options > Applications, scroll down to highlight app, click MENU, select Delete.
    c) OS 6.0: Launch Universal Search or enter Options app, start typing "App," select Application Management, start typing name of app, highlight it, click MENU, select Delete.

Method #3: For apps downloaded from App World, open App World, open My World, scroll down to highlight app, click MENU, select Delete.

So pretty much you just find the app wherever, have the icon focus there, and choose Delete from the Menu.
    Damn! The most clear, complete, and concise breakdown of this subject I have ever seen. RIM couldn't have done it better. Great info for those who need to know.
    10-29-10 03:49 PM
    Damn! The most clear, complete, and concise breakdown of this subject I have ever seen. RIM couldn't have done it better. Great info for those who need to know.
    Aw shucks, thanks Brad!

Maybe I should throw this up as a new thread in the general discussion and apply for it to be an official "How-To."
    10-29-10 03:59 PM
    Just a little heads-up,..

I installed iSkoot on my BB9700 and OS6, ... didnt like it a single bit - so I uninstalled it... after reboot i was up for a surprise.... not a good one..

iSkoot was gone, but also many of my other applications was suddenly gone, and settings for some apps were gone...

If it was iSkoot or OS6 causing the issues I have NO idea - but it have NEver happened with any other apps.

So be careful if u wanna try out iSkoot....
    12-04-10 08:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD