I travel to tropical countries a lot so i was wondering if the mosquto reppelent aps actually work. Any feedback would be highly appreciated.
    01-10-12 02:40 PM
    I assume from your post that you mean "phone apps". I also travel to malarial/mosquito infested areas, and I wouldn't trust my life to an app (not proved by scientific test) running on a phone as the primary defense.

Stick to defense in depth using the proven methods recommended by qualified advice - bite prevention (chemical repellents, clothing, mosquito "night-time" avoidance, bed net if appropriate) and anti-malarial medication if advised. Use any technical gadgets as potential extra reinforcement on top of these methods, and remember depending where you are travelling, malaria is the most common risk but not the only one.
    01-10-12 06:12 PM
    The app works great, as long as you slosh on something with DEET in it at the same time.
    01-11-12 06:53 AM
    I travel to tropical countries a lot so i was wondering if the mosquto reppelent aps actually work. Any feedback would be highly appreciated.
    It has been proven many times that there exist NO "sound" products that does anything with mosquitoes. Some studies indicate that specific frequencies "can" make You some sort of ignorant to the bite -or sleepy/dizzy - making you feel less because you are so "annoyed" by the sound that you feel less from any biting - but so does a glass of RUM.

Also - The speakers of cellphones cannot produce sound in that high frequency band.
    Ultrasound is typically 10 times as high freq as our hearing, which for most people stop between 18-20KHz.

ANY apps pretending to repel bugs, should be categorized as "nonsense games", and perhaps also banned from being sold, since they sell features that does not work.
    01-11-12 09:03 AM
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NeyYnk3P2k[/YT]

01-11-12 09:07 AM
    You have to watch the video carefully. The first app worked so well that as the mosquito was being repelled it actually impaled itself into the wood preventing it from quickly getting away. The rest of the video it was furiously trying to free herself so she could flee the offending noise.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-11-12 12:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD