Unbelievable...

Here is my emailed response from "customer service"

Be careful how many times you ask for a pin change.

WHAT A JOKE !!!!

Hello,

You just changed it on 3/28. There is only one device per license. Please purchase a second copy for your new PIN. We cannot switch back and forth between phones.

Thank you,

Erica Blanco
    Mobihand, Inc
    Smartphone Apps and Smartphone Accessories - MobiHand Store
    The App Store Company
    03-30-10 09:40 AM
    I know you are venting. Without knowing all the details of your situation (and I really don't want to know), their reply sounds reasonable to me.

Well, there's always App World.
    03-30-10 09:53 AM
    Leaving aside the lack (a bit!) of diplomacy of her answer, changing PIN every 3 days in not an option - remember,PIN switching from their side is not mandatory, they just make you a favor, usually the developers are asking you to get another copy of the program.
    03-30-10 09:56 AM
    they gave me a hard time also, not my fault that my tour was replaced 5 times! Had to send them a nasty email. I feel your pain.
    03-30-10 10:05 AM
    Leaving aside the lack (a bit!) of diplomacy of her answer, changing PIN every 3 days in not an option - r.
    Mind you, I am usually not one to raise a stink, but that response shows a complete lack of class.
    It's fine, I can take my business and my money elsewhere.

I'll be damned if I'm dropping another $200+ for something I already "have" just because someone at "customer service" has a bug up their a$$ and doesn't want to push a few buttons.
    03-30-10 10:13 AM
    Why would you change a PIN again two days later?
    03-30-10 10:17 AM
    The function to change the pin for an app could be automated I would think.

I have seen it on other websites for their products.

Tim
    03-30-10 11:04 AM
    Maybe instead of freaking out you could give reasonable explanation as to why it was necessary to switch again 2 days later. It seems people expect others to just do what they feel should be done without explanations. I'm sure Mobihand had a reason to deny the pin switch. They don't purposely try to lose customers nor does any other company. And of course, you are only posting their response to you without giving details of what you sent them. That makes it difficult for others to sympathize or offer ways to be of help.
    03-30-10 11:17 AM
    Maybe instead of freaking out you could give reasonable explanation as to why it was necessary to switch again 2 days later. It seems people expect others to just do what they feel should be done without explanations. I'm sure Mobihand had a reason to deny the pin switch. They don't purposely try to lose customers nor does any other company. And of course, you are only posting their response to you without giving details of what you sent them. That makes it difficult for others to sympathize or offer ways to be of help.
    Well said I'm curious to know why the PIN changes in such a short time span myself.
    03-30-10 11:19 AM
    I simply sent a request through the my account page, and that was the response I got back, and for those that are concerned about why I switched pins so quickly is because I switched from my S2 to a tour so that one of my colleagues could take the S2 on a business trip to be able to watch movies on the plane, the trip got canceled, and now I have my S2 back.
    03-30-10 11:29 AM
    Did you tell them you a requesting a new pin because you let your friend barrow your phone?

It's one thing to request a pin change when you loose or are given a replacement for a defect. But because you let a friend barrow your phone I can understand why they would say no.
    03-30-10 12:05 PM
    I simply sent a request through the my account page, and that was the response I got back, and for those that are concerned about why I switched pins so quickly is because I switched from my S2 to a tour so that one of my colleagues could take the S2 on a business trip to be able to watch movies on the plane, the trip got canceled, and now I have my S2 back.
    This sounds reasonable. I understand their frustration- perhaps they get a lot of people thinking they can switch back and forth between two phones every day or two, instead of purchasing two copies- but their customer service does need some criticism. They could have accomplished the same thing (not doing the requested pin switch) by politely explaining that constantly switching pins is not the best option, and asking for further details to ensure (as the OP was able to explain) this won't be a habitual thing. Also, if PIN switching is a problem for them, they should just implement a three / seven / thirty day PIN switch limit, so they can make exceptions when they want but quote policy to the abusers.

I see both sides of this, having worked support channels, and been on the receiving side of a company's misdirected snappishness. The bottom line is that the customer is always supposed to be right if you want to keep a business; even if they ARE an abusive *****, there's always a professional and polite way to handle them. Not that they were rude in this case, but it definitely came off as curt and unhelpful. Here's a better version:

Hello,

Unfortunately, according to our policies we cannot implement continual PIN changes to accommodate multiple devices. According to our records, a recent change was already done on 3/28. If you wish to use our software on more than one phone, please consider purchasing a second license. If you have any questions or require further clarification, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you,

At that point, if I were the service rep and the OP replied with his explanation, I would have answered the following:

Hello,

I understand how inconvenient this is for you. Considering your situation, I have gotten authorization to make a policy exception for you. Please understand that future PIN requests are meant to be for phone replacements or upgrades only. Let me know if there any any problems, and thank you for continued support as our valued customer.

Sincerely,

...or, like trsbbs said, they could just toss up an automated PIN change page on their website and be done with the whole "hassle"
    03-30-10 12:28 PM
    Not meaning to be judgemental by any means, but while I certainly agree that PIN changes for device replacements are legit, the lending out of a device and using another is more of a grey area.

Mobihand/Handango/etc. have to protect themselves from PIN change abuse to kit out buddies with free software -- which of course was not your intent but you do have to at least understand why they do this. I'm sure they have heard MANY stories (my dog ate my old BB?).

In my case, I have about 80+ apps purchased on Mobihand. The missus has a BB too, I could kit her BB out for free by doing a PIN change. That's not fair to Mobi or the software developers.

Oh, don't get me wrong. When I get a new device this fall and if my PIN change doesn't go smoothly, I might be annoyed too. But I will understand and try to explain to the best of my ability that my pin change is legitimate.
    03-30-10 12:30 PM
    Think about it this way... You own 15 apps you change pins and install all apps on your buddy's BB... all apps are now reg on that device. now you want to switch back to your old PIN... UMMM red flag possible. Your buddy now has 15 apps reg'd on his device for free as long as he doesn't wipe and reinstall those apps will remain reg'd. Regardless if that was not your intent, from a company thats just the middle person they have to protect the developers from scams in which I'm sure others have tried.
    03-30-10 12:41 PM
    Not to mention, what are you alternatives? Going to buy from AppWorld? Their policies are far worse... Handango? Even worse....
    03-30-10 12:48 PM
    Did you remove all of the apps from the Storm 2 prior to loaning it to your friend? Since it was a short term loan, you should not have bothered with the PIN change for apps.

With that said, none of your registration codes from your Storm 2 should have changed. Just use the old codes since they will still be valid. If you don't track your registration codes aside from what is on mobihand's website, then you did not do your due diligence as a consumer.
    03-30-10 02:00 PM
    So basically you are trying to use the same applications on two phones.
    Just because you are doing your friend a favor, you expect mobihand to bend over backwards for you?
    03-30-10 02:19 PM
    What video app did you purchase for $200? Could you have gotten a free or trial version to use?Was that your first responce from them? Could you post the email you sent them?
    03-30-10 04:53 PM
    Well I have had similar issues. I switched from. 9k to a 9700 with no problems but the I took my first 9700 back and got another. There are limits on PIN switching just as there is with IMEI switching in WM. If it is because of a warranty exchange or a device switch at contract renewal, I have never been turned down.

I did have significant delays yesterday after my most recent warranty exchange but they fixed everything this morning.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-10 05:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD