Just switched to the Blackberry world from a Treo. The one thing that's KILLING me is that you can't store APPLICATIONS (games, etc) on the memory card. My internal memory was almost full as soon as I bought it! I freed up a little more after reading John Clark's guide (great guide btw). Does anybody know if it's feasible to create a work-around...such as the following?
    ---
    A 3rd party Utility (placed on the phones internal memory) to uninstall a software application, and back it up to the microSD card...
    Then use the Utility re-install the backup archive onto the internal memory when you wish to use the software.
    ---
    I know jack about programming, so I really don't know how difficult this would be. But it would be AWESOME!!!
    03-19-08 06:58 PM
    You cannot save your 3rd party apps to your SD card. We all would love to do that but maybe on future OS's it would be possible.
    03-19-08 07:24 PM
    Welcome to the former Treo users club! I assume you are referring to something like zLauncher on the Treo. I haven't found an app to do that yet, but haven't really had the need to either since you've got so much more usable memory and built-in capability on the BB. For 3rd-party apps, I've got
    Ascendo DataVault, BBReply, BBToday, BibleReader, Beyond411, Google Mobile Maps, MarketFilters, MS Live Search, MyAlarm, Nav4All, OperaMini, PocketExpress, StopWatch, Viigo, and WorldMate installed with PIM and email BES and still run about 8MB free.
    03-19-08 07:40 PM
    My Status menu shows my SD card space and when I install/uninstall apps it fluctuates respectively so I wonder if it's possible. I noticed this after I installed Guitar Hero III
    04-01-08 11:50 PM
    Just switched to the Blackberry world from a Treo. The one thing that's KILLING me is that you can't store APPLICATIONS (games, etc) on the memory card. My internal memory was almost full as soon as I bought it! I freed up a little more after reading John Clark's guide (great guide btw). Does anybody know if it's feasible to create a work-around...such as the following?
    ---
    A 3rd party Utility (placed on the phones internal memory) to uninstall a software application, and back it up to the microSD card...
    Then use the Utility re-install the backup archive onto the internal memory when you wish to use the software.
    ---
    I know jack about programming, so I really don't know how difficult this would be. But it would be AWESOME!!!
    I know that I've read that some apps can be installed from the sd card but have not tried it yet so don't know if you could install, use it, delete it (from the Options App (advanced, applications, Press DELETE) and then reinstall again when you want it again. I gather you install by using the Media Manager application and EXPLORE the card.
    04-02-08 11:13 AM
    Some apps install the frontend on the internal memory but put reference libraries and such on the media card.

Olivetree bible reader is such a program. It puts the reader on the phones internal memory but the different versions of the bible are stored on the media card.

Dm
    04-02-08 04:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD