I've had Meterberry for some time now. I constantly look in the event log to try and see which app is causing the memory leak. If this was already posted somewhere please show where it is.

Bottom line I am trying to figure out what app is causing the leak. I did a battery pull and within the hour went from 8.8MB to 6.3

Please educate me on how to find this out.

Thanks in advance
    11-09-09 03:26 PM
    We have some techniques to do this in the MeterBerry FAQ.
    11-09-09 03:27 PM
    We have some techniques to do this in the MeterBerry FAQ.
    along with this, you can also just do process of elimination...

figure out which apps you use, and turn them on/off 1 by 1. you should take atleast an hour of observation to see if there is a change in memory. yeah its a process but you'll get down to what the problem is. are you using a theme? right now, themes are probably the #1 culprit of soaking up memory (hopefully wont be the case anymore since the themebuilder update is out).
    11-09-09 03:38 PM
    Thanks now I have a task to do while watching Monday Night Football.
    11-09-09 03:41 PM
    Yes I currently am using the Android HTC Theme. I previously was using the HTC Hero Theme but after upgrading to 0.S 5.0 some of the options didnt work for that theme, so I changed it.
    11-09-09 03:43 PM
    Yes I currently am using the Android HTC Theme. I previously was using the HTC Hero Theme but after upgrading to 0.S 5.0 some of the options didnt work for that theme, so I changed it.
    is that the one by ecruz?
    11-09-09 03:45 PM
    is that the one by ecruz?
    Yes, Thats the one I am using.
    11-09-09 03:46 PM
    Yes, Thats the one I am using.
    well then we've already found the answer to your original post. that theme has cause massive leaks for several users, including myself.

delete/change back to default and your memory is more than likely going to sit put.
    11-09-09 03:53 PM
    I absolutely love this theme, but like the others above, I have a huge memory leak when it is loaded. I'm talking dropping 10mb in a matter of an hour or two. If you get that fixed, I will be happy to donate and use this theme.
    theres an example.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f131/an...dition-162626/

theres teh thread. read the last few pages and you'll see alot of complaints about the memory leaks.
    11-09-09 03:55 PM
    well then we've already found the answer to your original post. that theme has cause massive leaks for several users, including myself.

delete/change back to default and your memory is more than likely going to sit put.

So then what FREE theme would you recommend. I really can't stand the default theme. I kind of like to be different.
    Last edited by Siny304; 11-09-09 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling error
    11-09-09 03:57 PM
    to be honest, you're better off buying a theme that looks good to you from a good developer for the 2-3$. with the updates coming, it will be worth the pocket change.
    11-09-09 04:01 PM
    Try to stay away from animation right now, like themes that the dock drops up and down, they cause memory leaks as well...
    11-09-09 04:04 PM
    to be honest, you're better off buying a theme that looks good to you from a good developer for the 2-3$. with the updates coming, it will be worth the pocket change.

What are the "Good Developers". $2 - $3 is definitely feasible. LOL
    11-09-09 04:05 PM
    Try to stay away from animation right now, like themes that the dock drops up and down, they cause memory leaks as well...
    With a name like that how can I believe you............... LMAO

Thanks.
    11-09-09 04:11 PM
    I have these two themes on my phone, looks like I have no / minimal leakage. Now running EARL GREY with only a drop of about 2MB after 1.5 days since last reboot (to install new Meterberry )

EARL GREY (Premium theme - $6), this has really good responsiveness, no lag. The Blackbery icon also serves as launcher for QuickLaunch if you have that application as well. A "lite" version is also available for $4, it has fewer icons on the screen but same look and feel. As FYI the home screen can be cleared by pressing the "<>" keys in upper left corner.

Also had good experience with this theme, BLAK (free)
    Last edited by Bob61; 11-09-09 at 04:21 PM.
    11-09-09 04:15 PM
    Should I delete it or just change it. Does the amount of stored themes affect the phone as well.

Thanks for the Storm 101 by the way.
    11-09-09 04:16 PM
    Not all of them. The theme I'm using has some animation (SVG) and as noted above, it's not a leaker
    11-09-09 04:16 PM
    Should I delete it or just change it. Does the amount of stored themes affect the phone as well.

Thanks for the Storm 101 by the way.
    From "my" experience, themes on your phone but not in use still cause problems. I had a problem with a theme, only after I physically deleted it from my phone did I solve the problem with memory leak.
    11-09-09 04:17 PM
    [QUOTE=Bob61;4046881]I have these two themes on my phone, looks like I have no / minimal leakage. Now running EARL GREY with only a drop of about 2MB after 1.5 days since last reboot (to install new Meterberry )

I have the Crystal Clear NU Blak theme as well. Has this theme been reported to cause leaks?
    11-09-09 04:19 PM
    From "my" experience, themes on your phone but not in use still cause problems. I had a problem with a theme, only after I physically deleted it from my phone did I solve the problem with memory leak.
    So in essence I should delete the Android Hero Storm Theme (all together) and look into purchasing a theme?
    11-09-09 04:22 PM
    So in essence I should delete the Android Hero Storm Theme (all together) and look into purchasing a theme?
    Well, I'd delete the Adroid theme since it appears it's a cause of memory leak. You can always reload it later (from backup or original download). As for need to purchase a theme, that's up to you. I've found some free themes don't leak, but found many that do. Purchasing a theme is no guarantee either. Try another free theme (give BLAK a try) and see if that fixes your problem. If not, then try another or look into purchasing a theme, but check the support forums to see if others are experiencing memory leaks before you do.

FYI, this developer claims that his themes (free) don't leak memory, and doesn't need the whitebar fix either. Might be worth a look.
    Last edited by Bob61; 11-09-09 at 07:32 PM.
    11-09-09 07:12 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f131/

just check out the first page. usually the good dev's are on the first page because they update frequently or peopel talk about them.

off the bat: kdjayo, mothy, jalaw, guzzler, wjdesigns (yourfriendwaynejd), ahaz, john###, R&R. theres really a whole bunch of them out there. thats naming off teh top of my head. im pretty sure theres a bunch on sale right now.
    11-09-09 08:46 PM
    I am sorry but all themes leak memory on the latest OSs IMO. I have tried 3 that are older and even 1 with the no white bar problems and all leak. I go back to default theme and hardly any leak at all.

And if you only boot with 8.8 MBs to start with, delete some useless **** off the phone. That is way to low to start with. The small drop from 8.8 to 6.3 is fairly normal really. its a small drop
    11-09-09 08:52 PM
    I am sorry but all themes leak memory on the latest OSs IMO. I have tried 3 that are older and even 1 with the no white bar problems and all leak. I go back to default theme and hardly any leak at all.

And if you only boot with 8.8 MBs to start with, delete some useless **** off the phone. That is way to low to start with. The small drop from 8.8 to 6.3 is fairly normal really. its a small drop

Well I deleted the Android Hero Theme and changed back to the default. Surprisingly no lag, no memeory leak. I did have to delete shortcuts (apps) that I didn't use to try and regain some memory. Based on what you wrote.

I have yet to see the hourglass or clock in the middle of the screen. Its almost like I have a brand new storm again. Almost. LOL.

Thanks, but are there themes that can be used without problems, or am I reaching?

Thanks again.
    11-10-09 11:05 AM
    I've had Meterberry for some time now. I constantly look in the event log to try and see which app is causing the memory leak. If this was already posted somewhere please show where it is.

Bottom line I am trying to figure out what app is causing the leak. I did a battery pull and within the hour went from 8.8MB to 6.3

Please educate me on how to find this out.

Thanks in advance
    Dropping 2.5 MB in an hour is one thing, but starting out at only 8.8MB, well, dayum!, what do you have loaded on that thing? Starting at 8.8 doesn't give you any wiggle room.
    11-10-09 11:12 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD