Anyone with a Storm 2 and running meterberry. (Great app if you have a Storm get it) ever notice the battery drain jumps from the usual 3-7% per hour to 18-27% per hour? I for the life of me can figure out what's causing this.

I've got the native IM clients running, BeeJive IM and Facebook. Along with Emails and calls of course.
    11-22-09 09:11 PM
    Im running meterberry 1.5.8 on my storm 2
    11-22-09 09:20 PM
    Anyone with a Storm 2 and running meterberry. (Great app if you have a Storm get it) ever notice the battery drain jumps from the usual 3-7% per hour to 18-27% per hour? I for the life of me can figure out what's causing this.

I've got the native IM clients running, BeeJive IM and Facebook. Along with Emails and calls of course.
    I deleted MeterBerry this morning to see if it was the cause of rapid battery consumption. I had installed MeterBerry, QuickLaunch and Weatherbug all at the same time. (I probably shouldn't do that again.)

So far it looks like MeterBerry was the culprit.
    11-22-09 09:28 PM
    Im running meterberry 1.5.8 on my storm 2
    thats nice

OP, is the battery actually draining that fast? like 5-6 hours and dead or does it just do it for 1 hour or whatever?
    11-22-09 09:29 PM
    Been running MB on my S2 since I got it on 10/29 with no issues. No unusual battery drain. If I've been using my S2 heavily for a long period of time MB reports 12-15% drain, but that's what happens... use it and you use more of the battery Nothing unexpected from what I've seen.
    11-22-09 09:39 PM
    Been running MB on my S2 since I got it on 10/29 with no issues. No unusual battery drain. If I've been using my S2 heavily for a long period of time MB reports 12-15% drain, but that's what happens... use it and you use more of the battery Nothing unexpected from what I've seen.
    I've been running meterberry since day 1 also (we got our Storm2's release day). I have no problems with Meterberry draining the battery, but I have seen Weatherbug drain it badly.. I took WB back off after about 12hours, because it was 1) not updating the icon on the home screen, and 2) my battery drained increased 4 or 5x what it was without WB insalled..
    I've got Meterberry 2.0.3 installed on mine.
    11-22-09 10:13 PM
    It does die that fast. It happened once and when it happens now i do a reboot to fix the issue. I'm clueless as to what's causing this.

My Storm is like a Universal Solider; does everything awesome until it over heats and starts to trip out.
    11-22-09 10:20 PM
    Why run Beejive and the native IM clients at the same time? BTW Beejive eats battery like a mofo.
    11-22-09 11:26 PM
    Why run Beejive and the native IM clients at the same time? BTW Beejive eats battery like a mofo.
    I need the facebook chat sometimes.
    11-22-09 11:29 PM
    I have had mb on since I got the storm 2 and have had no problems. I agree with a comment earlier that if you use your phone more you get more battery consumption. However I usually get 2 days out of a full charge.
    11-23-09 09:15 AM
    I've been running Meterberry since I got my S2, and it hasn't caused me any issues. My battery life is just fine, and if power consumption does increase, I usually know why (internet browsing, heavy use, etc.).
    11-23-09 09:20 AM
    No problems with Meterberry here
    11-23-09 09:24 AM
    I'm not asking if meterberry is the problem. I'm asking if those with meterberry notice the huge battery drain that happens sometimes as meterberry is a tool that measures power drain per hour.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-09 09:32 AM
    Used Meterberry for months on S1 & since I got my S2. Never had a problem with batt or anything else. Do you have the latest version?

11-23-09 09:37 AM
    Yep. I now am showing 33% battery drain per hour. I have tried several batterries and they all seem to drain the same. Battery is usually dead in five hours.

11-23-09 09:38 AM
    I'm not asking if meterberry is the problem. I'm asking if those with meterberry notice the huge battery drain that happens sometimes as meterberry is a tool that measures power drain per hour.

Oh, well that makes a little more sense.

Yeah, I notice that sometimes...but only during times when I'm actually using the phone (voice calls, internet browsing, etc). Seems to be fine when idle...as long as I remember to close out my apps!
    11-23-09 09:40 AM

I had serious battery drain issues when I picked up my S2 on Wednesday. I finally figured out it was SimpleWeather causing it. I had it in my first row, and when that row was the only one showing, SimpleWeather was continually updating. (This is an issue between the app and RIM I guess.) When I had all of the icons up on the main screen it was fine and current. I just moved the icon down and all is good. I did still load Meterberry just to keep an eye on things. My battery has been lasting me all day with moderate use!

Kat
    11-23-09 10:44 AM
    I do use meterberry to log my battery discharge rate on the storm2. I've noticed it's fairly similar to what I was seeing on my storm1. I typically leave wifi on when at home or work. For idle times in the log I'll see no drain for an hour and then maybe a .6-1 % drain as the norm. When using apps, bbm, web surfing...I've seen it go to 3-6% for a log entry around the same time. This is being logged for every 30 minutes. For voice calls I've seen the battery log entries anywhere form 7-9%, but keep in mind that I would still have apps like gtalk, bbm, and maybe wifi running. 9% is the highest recorded drain in my logs, but the logs don't go back but a few days.

What I'm curious to see, which I don't currently have recorded, is the time I had a voice call on speaker phone, surfing the web with bbm use, facebook was open with some status page refreshes, downloaded and installed an application during the same session, and opened the application to test it out before hanging up. I'm sure this would have put the discharge log entry above 9%.
    11-23-09 12:56 PM
    I'm running the BeeJive beta and I am having pretty rapid battery loss, too. I don't know for sure...but at home I don't usually see battery drain in the 10%+ per hour and yesterday I did.
    11-23-09 01:36 PM
    Today, for the first time since I got the phone in mid November, my battery started draining like crazy. Like 4 to 7% per hour according to Meterberry. From 10:21am to 3:51pm it dropped from 95% to 35% while sitting on my desk (No calls).

I checked the Meterberry battery log for the past several days and average drain has been 1 or 2% per hour. I've got a sneaky suspicion that Weatherbug may be the reason, but I have no clue why it would do this all of a sudden since I loaded it shortly after I got the phone. I've deleted Weatherbug and recharging the phone now.

Very weird! Up to now, my Storm2 has always lasted all day with battery to spare even though I keep WiFi and Bluetooth on all the time. I'll see how it goes w/o Weatherbug on the phone and post an update tomorrow evening.

Rich
    Last edited by richs10; 12-11-09 at 09:40 PM.
    12-10-09 06:50 PM
    ive experienced this a few times but it only seems to happen when ive just finished charging it and i make a call or do something that eats alot of battery but it balances back out in about 30 mins or so.
    12-10-09 07:28 PM
    Update on my battery drain problem set forth above:

I deleted Weatherbug yesterday after a day of incredible battery drain. Today, I'm back to just 1 to 2% battery drain per hour according to Meterberry. I don't know why Weatherbug would go nuts like that all of a sudden!? I really liked Weatherbug and may try it again just to see if it was a fluke. Has anyone else experienced this?

Rich
    Last edited by richs10; 12-11-09 at 09:41 PM.
    12-11-09 09:34 PM
    Yep. I now am showing 33% battery drain per hour. I have tried several batterries and they all seem to drain the same. Battery is usually dead in five hours.

That is so weird. My S2 definitely eats more battery, but never over a rate of 6%, and it's usually around 2.5-3.5%. I assume you've done the discharge rate reset in Meterberry. It sure sounds like you've got a hardware problem in the phone itself to me (but WTH do I know).
    12-11-09 09:50 PM
    I haven't noticed a difference, I'll make a point to watch it for a few days.
    12-11-09 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD