Sorry, couldn't resist it was hanging out there for someone to make a comment.

The first question would be what apps do you have running at the time? My first recommendation for you is that you should purchase an app called MeterBerry. It's about $2.95. You can check any changes in memory within the log files that it tracks. You can find additional info on it through many other threads.
    05-07-09 05:08 PM
    Dont know about that, but when i click the Recover memory button, I lose anywhere from 1 to 5 mb, thought it was a recover button, not an eat it up button................
    05-07-09 07:40 PM
    Sorry, couldn't resist it was hanging out there for someone to make a comment.

The first question would be what apps do you have running at the time? My first recommendation for you is that you should purchase an app called MeterBerry. It's about $2.95. You can check any changes in memory within the log files that it tracks. You can find additional info on it through many other threads.
    No worries. I thought it was funny. I have had MeterBerry for a while, just didn't know i could view my log that way. Very nice feature. Still don't understand what is causing my memory to drop so dramatically.
    05-07-09 07:45 PM
    Dont know about that, but when i click the Recover memory button, I lose anywhere from 1 to 5 mb, thought it was a recover button, not an eat it up button................
    Please see my post here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/me...ml#post2493738

Initiating the garbage collector also reclaims available RAM, in addition to application memory. RAM stats are not displayed by MeterBerry, but freeing up RAM helps your phone run more efficiently.

There is much more to garbage collection than simply increasing the raw number for free application memory.

Last edited by Giant Cashew; 05-07-09 at 07:58 PM.
    05-07-09 07:51 PM
    You rock cashew.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-09 10:16 PM
    Nice software, discovered it about a week ago, and love it. That table is great info, too.
    05-07-09 11:09 PM
    Lol mine too what a joke

05-08-09 02:41 AM
    Lol mine too what a joke

As I just said, there is much more to garbage collection than increasing the raw number for free application memory.

From the MeterBerry FAQ:

Q: What exactly is "application memory"? How does it relate to the other memory on the Storm?

A: The Blackberry Storm has 1 GB of internal flash, or device memory. 128 MB of that flash is allocated as application space, the other 872 MB is allocated as data space. The Storm also has 192 MB of traditional RAM. These memory spaces are used as follows:

1. When they are running, the Operating System (OS) and applications both use the 192 MB of traditional RAM like your computer does. Temporary, volatile storage.

2. All applications are stored in the application space. Whatever room is free in the application space is used by the OS for paging when your phone is running, similar to what your computer does with its hard drive and swap file. Applications can only be stored and run from the application space.

3. The data space is used for an internal file system, as well as storage of things like pictures, ring tones, etc. You cannot store and run applications from the data space.

When you go to Options -> Memory, the "Application Memory" entry refers to the free space in the application block of the internal flash.

So, when you install applications the free space in the application block decreases. And because the application block is also used for paging, the free space fluctuates over time as you use your phone.

RIM most likely doesn't display the free RAM under Options -> Memory is because the RAM is used by the OS in addition to applications. It wildly fluctuates up and down as the phone is running, and doesn't give you any real measure of what's going on. But if an application has a true memory leak as is described above, you would be able to detect it by looking at the free application memory. And of course your free application memory also tells you how much room you have left for applications.
    As is shown in RIM's table above, initiating the garbage collector also frees up RAM, which is MUCH faster than flash (application memory). This helps your phone run more efficiently, and reduces the need to page things out to flash (application memory) after the garbage collector is run.
    05-08-09 06:36 AM
    Cashew,

Dont get me wrong, I like the overall program, I am a little sarcastic, so please dont take it as I was bashing your software. I will look thru the above info, and your thread and maybe that wil help me out. I just thought it was funny that when I hit a "recover Memory" button the actual memory posted goes down not up.
    05-08-09 08:32 AM
    How do you initiate the garbage collector? Is that an option with MeterBerry?
    05-08-09 11:18 AM
    How do you initiate the garbage collector? Is that an option with MeterBerry?
    Pressing the Recover Memory button does so.

05-08-09 12:00 PM
    Giant Cashew,

First of all, I love your app. Meterberry and QL are my 2 fav apps. I was wondering in a future update, can you add the option to have the battery meter reset after the battery hits 100%? I reset my meter every morning after charging it at night. It would be nice if it was automatic. Not sure if its even possible since the app may not be able to detect when the phone is taken off the charger but thought I would ask. Thanks!
    05-08-09 12:57 PM
    First and foremost Awesome app Cashew. I have an inquiry for the community and the devs of meterberry. I lose a huge amount of mem in the first 2 hours, Usually like 8.2mb the first hour then another 5mb the next. Then it will bounce up and down after that(+.2 then -1.0 soemthing like that), which i've read is normal. I'm having to do 2 to 3 resets a day. I start with 41 mb and have to reset within 4 or 5 hours. Yeah I use my BB alot but this even happens at work when I'm not allowed to use the phone at all. I've discarded it being an app running in the background i'm pretty good at closing out of things and I've never experiences this kind of drop with the the previous version. I dont run a bunch of apps to begin with either. just wondering if anyone has this issue and has a fix for it.

Thanks in advance.
    05-08-09 10:09 PM
    First and foremost Awesome app Cashew. I have an inquiry for the community and the devs of meterberry. I lose a huge amount of mem in the first 2 hours, Usually like 8.2mb the first hour then another 5mb the next. Then it will bounce up and down after that(+.2 then -1.0 soemthing like that), which i've read is normal. I'm having to do 2 to 3 resets a day. I start with 41 mb and have to reset within 4 or 5 hours. Yeah I use my BB alot but this even happens at work when I'm not allowed to use the phone at all. I've discarded it being an app running in the background i'm pretty good at closing out of things and I've never experiences this kind of drop with the the previous version. I dont run a bunch of apps to begin with either. just wondering if anyone has this issue and has a fix for it.

Thanks in advance.
    Do you run a theme? The reason I ask is I only start with 39 MB and as you can see from the screenshots here, I run between 25 and 32 all day... I have 34 Apps and 10 Launchers including 2 that leak for many other ppl on in this nation... I know all setups are different but... I tried a couple of themes and the were buggy, laggy and leaked bad so I got rid of them (uninstalled)... I'll stick with my custom wallpaper and the default theme...

If that's not it, I wonder if it's not some of the stock apps... As you can see in my sig, I shrink my OS and I am starting to wonder if that has anything to do with it...

Uptime:
    05-09-09 12:40 AM
    Giant Cashew,

First of all, I love your app. Meterberry and QL are my 2 fav apps. I was wondering in a future update, can you add the option to have the battery meter reset after the battery hits 100%? I reset my meter every morning after charging it at night. It would be nice if it was automatic. Not sure if its even possible since the app may not be able to detect when the phone is taken off the charger but thought I would ask. Thanks!
    The battery discharge rate does reset when the battery reaches 100%. But not when you unplug your phone from the charger. I believe this should be possible. Thanks for the suggestion.
    05-09-09 08:07 AM

Thanks in advance.
    1. Are you sure you don't have any auto-start apps that don't show an icon in the application switcher? An application can still be running without showing an icon. PatternLock is an example. Check under Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications.

2. As Robert said, are you using a theme?
    05-09-09 08:09 AM
    hmm.. yeah I suppose I use a few auto start apps.

APPS:
    auto lock
    BBweather
    Buzzme
    Facebook
    google sync
    light saber
    meterberry
    sceenLock
    googlemaps
    logmaid(not sure why i still have it..lol)

Hmm 10 and I didnt think I used alot..HAHA

I also do use a custom theme. was using blackberry pro v2, but recently swithced Titanium Green.

Since last reset at 7:50 pm last night mem went like this.
    8:50(-3.0)
    9:50(-8.2)
    10:50 (-4.2)
    11:50 no change
    12:50 no change
    1:50 (+.8)
    phone auto turns off 2am
    phone auto turns on at 8am
    8:49 (+2.3)
    9:49 (+.1)

But like I said the only thing that has changed since last update was the theme and i still recieved this kind of drop with the blackberry pro v2.

I guess its on to removing the theme (back to horrible default theme) and see if that works. then onto apps. If any apps in my list are known mem killers please feel free to point them out. will help alot

Thanks in advance.
    05-09-09 12:22 PM
    Pressing the Recover Memory button does so.

Thank you, I thought that, but just wanted to make sure.
    05-09-09 12:31 PM
    I also do use a custom theme. was using blackberry pro v2, but recently swithced Titanium Green.

Since last reset at 7:50 pm last night mem went like this.
    8:50(-3.0)
    9:50(-8.2)
    10:50 (-4.2)
    11:50 no change
    12:50 no change
    1:50 (+.8)
    phone auto turns off 2am
    phone auto turns on at 8am
    8:49 (+2.3)
    9:49 (+.1)

But like I said the only thing that has changed since last update was the theme and i still recieved this kind of drop with the blackberry pro v2.

I guess its on to removing the theme (back to horrible default theme) and see if that works. then onto apps. If any apps in my list are known mem killers please feel free to point them out. will help alot

Thanks in advance.
    If you have are having issues with your memory due to a theme, you should try the theme in my signature. It is an awesome theme and my memory hardly drops from it. Brandon is awesome and does custom themes for a small donation. Check it out and let me know what you think.
    05-09-09 12:37 PM
    Thanks cashew. You've created a whole new group of obsessed people freaking out over dropping two mb. Seriously people RIM's Os has issues and its gonna take some time for it to be worked out. Enjoy your phone and reset it once a day and move on =)

05-10-09 10:20 AM
    1. Are you sure you don't have any auto-start apps that don't show an icon in the application switcher? An application can still be running without showing an icon. PatternLock is an example. Check under Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications.
    Maybe dumb question, but how do you know which are auto-start?
    05-10-09 10:24 AM
    Well I removed the theme and viigo and my leaking has returned to normal useage only losing 5mb to 8mb daily now.(even hough it was only tested one day..HAHA) Thanks for the trouble shooting help Giant Cashew and Robert Calhoun.
    05-10-09 11:41 AM
    Maybe dumb question, but how do you know which are auto-start?
    Not a dumb question at all.

Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to tell. But any application that is always doing something in the background, like an auto-updating weather application, or an application that is automatically invoked when something happens, like a phone screen lock application, probably auto-starts when you start your phone.
    05-10-09 03:39 PM
    Hey Cashew, how about adding a way to log the temperature of my phone? It jumps around like crazy.
    05-13-09 07:34 AM
    If anyone hasn't got this app yet, you definitely should. It doesn't cost much and its amazing. I have a seido Innocase II and I never have to take that stupid thing off to do a battery pull. Its way better than Quickpull IMO. Try it out, it's already a great app and Giant Cashew keeps making it better!
    05-18-09 01:19 AM
181 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD