I recently re-installed meterberry, because before the update it seemed it actually drained my memory. Now the memory is not the same as device info. And Im not talking about1-2 mb. Sometimes it differs by 5-10 mb differences. For instance right now meterberry says I have 28.3 but device info says I have 37.3 Is there a setting im missing?

What is the best setting for the most accurate reading?
    05-20-09 08:58 AM
    odd.... never had that issue (but running older OS)

(ps. your question mark works :}
    05-20-09 09:12 AM
    MeterBerry's home screen icon and status screen update once every minute. The Options -> Memory screen updates at an unknown rate, if at all. So it is possible there may be discrepencies. Your free memory fluctuates up and down quite frequently. MeterBerry is just displaying the number reported by the OS, so it is accurate.
    05-20-09 09:14 AM
    MeterBerry's home screen icon and status screen update once every minute. The Options -> Memory screen updates at an unknown rate, if at all. So it is possible there may be discrepencies. Your free memory fluctuates up and down quite frequently. MeterBerry is just displaying the number reported by the OS, so it is accurate.
    Hi GC, have you heard of any issues re compatability with OS .148?
    05-20-09 09:17 AM
    thanks Big Nut... i did not know that, i think...
    05-20-09 09:17 AM
    Thanks Cash some great information here. Being that your team is the developer what is the suggested settings for this app?
    05-20-09 09:21 AM
    Thanks Cash some great information here. Being that your team is the developer what is the suggested settings for this app?
    Which specific settings are you referring to? We don't really have "suggested" settings. You can configure MeterBerry however you'd like.
    05-20-09 11:46 AM
    Hi GC, have you heard of any issues re compatability with OS .148?
    I have seen several people report a java.lang.error. This is an OS bug. We are looking into it.
    05-20-09 11:47 AM
    I did a .148 hybrid mix and it fixed my issue

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 11:50 AM
    Giant Cashew,

Will you let us know when and if the Meterberry issue is fixed to be compatible to 148? I don't want to upgrade unless I have meterberry and QL working. Thanks
    05-20-09 05:01 PM
    Im running .148 and no problems with meterberry...
    05-20-09 05:03 PM
    I'm also running the latest version of MeterBerry on OS .148 without any problems.

05-20-09 06:14 PM
    Same here

05-20-09 06:17 PM
    I have seen several people report a java.lang.error. This is an OS bug. We are looking into it.
    FYI, I am running .148 and Meterberry works fine. Perhaps the folks having the error didn't allow it to change permissions when their OS booted for the first time? It's easy to accidently dismiss, as it more or less pops up right before the network selection prompt.
    05-20-09 08:20 PM
    Giant Cashew,

Will you let us know when and if the Meterberry issue is fixed to be compatible to 148? I don't want to upgrade unless I have meterberry and QL working. Thanks
    Mine works just fine,too.

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.
    05-20-09 08:24 PM
    mine works (somehow earlier my mem went down to 11mb ) rite now its somewhat better after battery pull (was awhile ago today) nows at 29.3mb
    05-20-09 10:40 PM
    I've been noticing in both 141 and 148 that when I hit the "recovery memory" function, about 75% of the time I lose 5-8 MB of memory, and about 25% of the time, I get 5MB back. Does anyone know why this happens?

And how does the memory recovering function differ from the built in BB Memory cleaner?
    05-20-09 11:07 PM
    I've been noticing in both 141 and 148 that when I hit the "recovery memory" function, about 75% of the time I lose 5-8 MB of memory, and about 25% of the time, I get 5MB back. Does anyone know why this happens?

And how does the memory recovering function differ from the built in BB Memory cleaner?

dont use the button so much

maybe once a day

memory cleaner is for security purposes and meterberry cleans up the java garbage
    05-21-09 06:57 AM

To answer this question you first need a little background on the Storm's memory and memory management.

The Storm has 128 MB of application memory (flash) and 192 MB of traditional RAM. When they are running, the Operating System (OS) and applications both use the 192 MB of traditional RAM like your computer does - temporary, volatile storage. On the other hand, all applications are stored in application memory. Whatever room is free in the application space is used by the OS for paging when your phone is running, similar to what your computer does with its hard drive and swap file.

Java uses automatic garbage collection to manage memory. Applications create memory objects, and the Java garbage collector recovers memory objects that are no longer in use. It is the responsibility of applications to remove references to memory objects they no longer need. This signals to the garbage collector that the memory used by those objects can be recovered and used for something else. The garbage collector runs only when it is convenient, usually when the handheld is idle or in an emergency when memory is needed and none is available.

The garbage collector can also be initiated programmatically, which is what MeterBerry's "Recover Memory" feature does. This corresponds with "System.GC() invocation" in the table below.

As you can see, garbage collection is rather complex, and there is much more to it than simply increasing the amount of free memory you see.

If you see your free application memory decrease when you press the "Recover Memory" button, it most likely is due to the auto-commit operation in the above table. This takes objects that were going to be moved from RAM (fast) to flash (slower) in the future and moves them immediately. So, it may seem like a bad thing that your free application memory decreases, but in reality this can be a good thing, because it means you now have more RAM available for use by the system, which is much faster than flash. And even if you don't see your free application memory increase, the garbage collector still most likely freed up RAM behind the scenes, which should make your phone operate more smoothly.

For a good explanation of the built-in memory cleaner, see here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/mem...952/#post66442.
    Last edited by Giant Cashew; 05-22-09 at 03:25 PM.
    05-21-09 08:58 AM
    Wow Cashew thats a serious description. Thanks for taking the time and explaining it.
    05-21-09 09:34 PM
    I will start this by saying my problems are most likely USER ERROR on my part.

I have just installed Meterberry v1.4.5 on my Storm running OS .148.
    I went to have it reset the phone (thats a feature I want to work and why I bought the app) and it gave me Error #4? I think? Unable to reset device, contact the developer. (or something like that. )

I went back about an hour later and tried it again and this time I get the following error:
    Application terminated: MeterBerry ResetStub has been denied the "Cross Application" permission

I have done 1 battery pull since I installed this app, I am going to do another one right after I type this. As I said, I am sure it is user error that is causing the problem, but could use advise, a link to how to configure etc

Thanks and have a groovy Day!!
    05-22-09 01:27 PM
    I will start this by saying my problems are most likely USER ERROR on my part.

I have just installed Meterberry v1.4.5 on my Storm running OS .148.
    I went to have it reset the phone (thats a feature I want to work and why I bought the app) and it gave me Error #4? I think? Unable to reset device, contact the developer. (or something like that. )

I went back about an hour later and tried it again and this time I get the following error:
    Application terminated: MeterBerry ResetStub has been denied the "Cross Application" permission

I have done 1 battery pull since I installed this app, I am going to do another one right after I type this. As I said, I am sure it is user error that is causing the problem, but could use advise, a link to how to configure etc

Thanks and have a groovy Day!!
    Sounds like you have the default setting for the Cross Application Communication permission set to Deny.

From the MeterBerry FAQ:

Q: I see an Error Code 4 and/or a "MeterBerryResetStub has been denied the "Cross Application Communication" permission" error message when I try to do a soft-reset?

A: MeterBerry requires that the default value for the Cross Application Communication permission be set to "Allow". MeterBerry's soft-reset engine is much more robust than those in other soft-reset applications, and one of the tradeoffs is that it requires this permission. To set it:

1. Go to Options (wrench) -> Security Options -> Application Permissions.
    2. Press the BlackBerry key and select "Edit Default Permissions". Make sure to choose the default permissions, not "Edit Permissions".
    3. Expand the "Interactions" section.
    4. Set the "Cross Application Communication" permission to "Allow".
    5. Reboot your phone by removing the battery.
    Last edited by Giant Cashew; 05-22-09 at 01:46 PM.
    05-22-09 01:43 PM
    Sounds like you have the default setting for the Cross Application Communication permission set to Deny.

From the MeterBerry FAQ:
    Thanks for the quick response! I did two more battery pulls, and went in and changed the options as suggested and now it appears to work. Thanks! If I had searched a bit more before I posted I would have probably found the answer. But Thanks for the help!
    05-22-09 01:53 PM
    Thanks Cashew for the detailed and informative explanation of RAM/Flash memory.
    05-25-09 12:51 PM
    I am also receiving the java.lang.error when trying to reset my device. I'm running .148 with all permissions set to ALLOW. Thanks for looking into the bug.
    06-08-09 10:25 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD