Why is this app not on appworld

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-10 03:56 PM
    It costs $200.00 to get an app on Apps World. The author has to sell a lot of copies to recover his investment.
    10-09-10 05:00 PM
    Be happy that it isn't. Much better support from the developer without going through AppWorld

10-09-10 06:32 PM
    Get it from the CrackBerry App Store.
    10-09-10 06:48 PM
    I agree with rts3K. There would be virtually no support if it was on AW. LOL. It is not because of a $200.00 fee, because at $3.95, it would only take roughly about 50 copies to recover. MeterBerry has sold thousands of copies. This is due to the name having "Berry" in it. RIM does not allow products with "BB" or "Berry" etc., and views it as patent infringment. The name of the product could be changed, but then it would not have the recognition power that it currently retains.

I had a page specifically for AW, but I can't seem to find it now. But, you can look throught these...
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Trademarks

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Trademarks

As posted previously, it can be found in the CB store or MH.
    10-09-10 07:15 PM
    If it was in AW I would buy it. I don't have a check card for a reason. Ill spend too much. I like the apps to get billed on my att bill.

10-09-10 11:48 PM
    ya. i haven't ever bought anything from crapworld & never will
    10-10-10 09:51 AM
    You don't have paypal penz?
    10-10-10 10:20 PM
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but now what? Mobihand is hit the dust, and App World is only best way to do app downloads as it has become very convenient over the past year.

PS: I don't see MeterBerry offered for purchase anywhere else.
    12-22-11 05:04 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any apps in app world that contain the word 'berry'. This is why BerryWeather and BerryBuzz became BeWeather and BeBuzz, respectively, for app world sales.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    12-22-11 07:11 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any apps in app world that contain the word 'berry'. This is why BerryWeather and BerryBuzz became BeWeather and BeBuzz, respectively, for app world sales.
    Great point. However, given the fact that there's really no other ways MeterBerry can make any revenue (considering there's zero support anyway); I don't think it would hurt the developer to change the name.
    12-22-11 10:34 PM
    This is exactly right. App World does not permit the name of any non-RIM app to contain Berry or BB.

Great point. However, given the fact that there's really no other ways MeterBerry can make any revenue (considering there's zero support anyway); I don't think it would hurt the developer to change the name.
    They would have to change their name, maybe to something like MeterBe or BeMeter, if they followed Bellshare's model for AW names.

I'm sure a developer with a name as interesting as Giant Cashew could come up with a witty name for their app.
    Azensun and Devil like this.
    12-23-11 06:06 AM
    We are in fact working on moving the next version of MeterBerry to App World as MobiHand isn't paying. Stay tuned.
    UnderBerry and deejayburnout like this.
    01-02-12 09:37 AM
    We are in fact working on moving the next version of MeterBerry to App World as MobiHand isn't paying. Stay tuned.
    Thanks.
    I hope you add backup options that backup the license key as well.
    ridesno159 likes this.
    01-02-12 09:06 PM
    Thanks.
    I hope you add backup options that backup the license key as well.
    Yes, please and thank you, for those of us who purchased through Mobihand...
    01-03-12 01:02 PM
    I purchased MeterBerry from MobiHand last week.. I didn't know about this (about MobiHand going under.. or what ever) but I hope IF there is a new version of MeterBerry this year that I can get an upgrade free of charge

As for BeWeather and BeBuzz, when I downloaded from App World they don't have Berry or BB in their names but in the about dialogs (once installed) and other parts of the prorgams IIRC they have BerryWeather or BerryBuzz etc... What the heck? Bad QC from AW and sloppyness from developer?
    03-17-12 12:08 PM
    As for BeWeather and BeBuzz, when I downloaded from App World they don't have Berry or BB in their names but in the about dialogs (once installed) and other parts of the prorgams IIRC they have BerryWeather or BerryBuzz etc... What the heck? Bad QC from AW and sloppyness from developer?
    The programs were named BerryWeather and BerryBuzz originally, but RIM came down on third-party App World apps with "Berry" in their names, possibly to avoid confusion with official BlackBerry releases from RIM or from its partners, or to avoid trademark issues. I'm not sure about "BB."

When word was announced, many developers had to scramble to change their app names in order to prevent loss of revenue. It was much easier to change the name for App World alone rather than change it with all vendors, including the developers' own sites, keeping in mind that across-the-board name changes often require changes in public awareness, logos, advertising banners and whatnot.

Sloppy? You bet. But understandable. There's no need to be overly critical.

Maybe this explains why MeterBerry isn't for sale on App World. What would you call it?
    03-17-12 03:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD