I am wondering if this is just a gimmick, should invest is a memory booster app like Bejoose or memory booster. Anyone try one of these or another one? thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    03-01-10 10:11 AM
    on my 9000 i have memoryup but honestly i don't think u need a memory app for the 9700, i was thinking about bejoose but honestly this thing doesn't need it
    03-01-10 10:15 AM
    i was thinking the same thing ( that it doesnt need it) I figuered lemme ask around lol
    03-01-10 10:22 AM
    I don't think you need to waste your money on these programs. What are you wanting to accomplish by using it? More speed / free ram ?
    03-01-10 01:38 PM
    There's only one tool for memory I'd recommend, and it's not a booster. Those are a total waste as everyone has said.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-10 02:26 PM
    Memory booster apps are a rip off that people have been falling for for a long time...
    03-01-10 02:28 PM
    The Memory Booster app is the real deal. It works great. Anyone who says otherwise has never tried it. If you think that apps aren't draining your memory, you are living in a fantasy world. I have a 9700 and I never do battery pull or restart. Thanks to Memory Booster.

03-01-10 03:17 PM
    I don't have a memory booster, and I still never have to reboot my 9700. Neither does anyone I know. The OS are so much better than 4.6/4.5.

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

03-01-10 03:21 PM
    I'd have to agree with Wulf. I never need to reboot for memory problems. All of us with experience know to close apps and clear our browser cache and avoid those problems.

03-01-10 03:34 PM
    The Memory Booster app is the real deal. It works great. Anyone who says otherwise has never tried it. If you think that apps aren't draining your memory, you are living in a fantasy world. I have a 9700 and I never do battery pull or restart. Thanks to Memory Booster.
    Sorry to say, but you have no idea what you are talking about. A 3rd party app can NOT access memory allocated to another application. 3rd party developers have very limited access to memory, just about all the memory "booster" apps will do is call a system.gc(), gc being garbage collector. When a gc is run it frees up objects in memory that are no longer used. The OS does this on its own, these apps just force it to run sooner.

On the 9700 this should not be an issue as there is plenty of available memory that can be used, on older devices, where free memory might be just a few megabytes and the OS has not freed up the memory a forced a gc MAY free up some needed memory.

And guess what, I dont run a memory booster app on my 9700 and I've gone weeks without a battery pull.
    Last edited by Shao128; 03-01-10 at 03:45 PM.
    03-01-10 03:41 PM
    the only app i use that tracks memory as well as battery is meterberry which works really well
    03-01-10 04:06 PM
    It's the BS proclamations of all the users that don't know what they're talking about, combined with the purposely false reports of these apps working in order to artificially boost their reputation that sells this crap...

Stop pretending and propagating that these apps can modify the memory behavior of other apps. It's a lie... If you bought these apps you bought magic beans, end of story.
    03-01-10 06:28 PM
    Memory booster apps are a rip off that people have been falling for for a long time...
    Not all of us make rip-offs, there are some things you can do, but the main thing people seem in search of, an app that automagically cuts down on the need for battery pulls... that doesn't seem likely.
    Last edited by LSphone; 03-02-10 at 12:55 PM.
    03-01-10 10:01 PM
    LS, you know darn well anything added to a 9700 OS to help with memory will simply slow it down. Prove me wrong, and let me run your app for a week. I'll be honest in my evaluation.

03-01-10 10:20 PM
    LS, you know darn well anything added to a 9700 OS to help with memory will simply slow it down. Prove me wrong, and let me run your app for a week. I'll be honest in my evaluation.
    Hey Wulf, I don't know if you've ever read LSPhone's posts before, but you won't find a more honest developer on here. He's been de-bunking "memory apps" for as long as I can remember.

Just making sure he doesn't get lumped in with the (deserved) dev-bashing!
    03-01-10 10:58 PM
    Sure have, and as I said I'll be happy to run it. If it works, I'll buy the app and post it's positive results. Every memory booster I've ever used has done nothing but slow down my device. I've private beta'd a few already, just to help out. I don't run a 497 hybrid to be different, I use the heck out of my BB, and want all the speed I can get. My memory right now stays extremely stable at about 85MB FF RAM. I don't want to bash anyone, and for lower devices there's use for a good RAM recovery app. Just don't see where one is needed with a 9700.

03-01-10 11:08 PM
    Agreed...Memory Apps waist of money.
    03-01-10 11:15 PM

If everyone spoke Wulfanese™, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

Fair enough, I'll PM you a coupon.

It's true, the app takes some memory... about 85k of Code Module Memory (Application Memory), a negligible amount of Flash for settings, and a negligible amount of RAM and CPU for the two background processes. Those are so light I can't believe they could make any difference except when maintenance is actually performed, and you can select what's to be done and when.
    Last edited by LSphone; 03-02-10 at 01:02 PM.
    03-01-10 11:15 PM
    Thanks, I got the coupon and I'll give it a shot. Thing is this OS runs so smooth unless I'm pulling up huge sites while many other simultaneous processes are going on, there just isn't any spin. And as you go through the different OS, 442 will have minor occasional spin, 423 a tad more, 421 almost none, 405 slightly more than 423 but just darn slow all around, and getting gradually worse down from there.
    By heavy user, here's my data consumption in less than a month, with no radio apps sucking up bytes:
    My apps I just posted yesterday here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/bl...3/#post4753393

03-01-10 11:48 PM
    BigBadWulf - 1. did you test the memory app?
    2. is it Shrink you use to reduce the size of the OS or are there some specific deletions you make and if so which cod files do your remove?

Thanks.
    05-23-10 12:49 PM

I tried it for my 9700 and if anything it slowed it down. Just my 2 cents.
    05-23-10 12:57 PM
    BigBadWulf - 1. did you test the memory app?
    2. is it Shrink you use to reduce the size of the OS or are there some specific deletions you make and if so which cod files do your remove?

Thanks.
    1. I've tested many, and I know from experience the garbage collection on an Onyx OS is outstanding. Any addition to the system will only hinder it's operation.

2. f you don't use Docs, or if you have premium remove these:
    DocsToGoCommon47.cod
    DocsToGoCommon47Resource.cod
    DocsToGoCommon47Resource__en.cod
    DocsToGoCommon47Resource__ko.cod
    DocsToGoCommon47Resource__ro.cod
    SecurIDLib.cod
    SheetToGo47.cod
    SheetToGo47Resource.cod
    SheetToGo47Resource__en.cod
    SheetToGo47Resource__ko.cod
    SheetToGo47Resource__ro.cod
    SlideshowToGo47.cod
    SlideshowToGo47Resource.cod
    SlideshowToGo47Resource__en.cod
    SlideshowToGo47Resource__ko.cod
    SlideshowToGo47Resource__ro.cod
    WordToGo47.cod
    WordToGo47Resource.cod
    WordToGo47Resource__en.cod
    WordToGo47Resource__ko.cod
    WordToGo47Resource__ro.cod

Everything else that's left will only load if necessary, or you've checked it off. Sorry it took such an eternity to respond.

Any ko(Korean) and ro(Romanian I think) language file isn't removed by Shrink, so they have to be taken out by hand. The IM apps will load them for sure if left, others will too, though I've never kept track of which parts of the OS adds them and which don't. I just remove them all. Also the he_IL and he_US I honestly have no clue what language they are, but can go.

This can be left, but if your a T-Mo customer and don't care about accessing the favs, can be removed:
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_100_five_icon_library.cod

These are sample media, and nothing but wasted space:
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_480x360_03_b.co d
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_video_480x360_03_b.cod

Any theme listing your carrier can be deleted, unless you use it. If you just use a standard stock or 3rd party, it's useless.

Click Here To Be Banned*
    Drive a PwnCakes Hybrid. It'll keep your Onyx purring.

05-23-10 01:01 PM
    Thanks for the help;
    1. I do have Docs premium so just to be clear, can I delete those Doc cods?
    2. Where are the 'ko' and 'ro' found?
    Thanks again.
    05-23-10 01:13 PM
    Thanks for the help;
    1. I do have Docs premium so just to be clear, can I delete those Doc cods?
    2. Where are the 'ko' and 'ro' found?
    Thanks again.
    1. If you don't remove the standard Docs, that's what will load.

2. Those languages would be found only on an All Language OS.

At CrackBerry, I bring good search to life.
    Click Here To Be Banned*If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

05-23-10 01:20 PM

Any ko(Korean) and ro(Romanian I think) language file isn't removed by Shrink, so they have to be taken out by hand. The IM apps will load them for sure if left, others will too, though I've never kept track of which parts of the OS adds them and which don't. I just remove them all. Also the he_IL and he_US I honestly have no clue what language they are, but can go.

This can be left, but if your a T-Mo customer and don't care about accessing the favs, can be removed:

These are sample media, and nothing but wasted space:

Any theme listing your carrier can be deleted, unless you use it. If you just use a standard stock or 3rd party, it's useless.
    Wulf, I don't know if you have seen this thread but Crackberry member
    ttsoldier created a batch file to hit some of the areas the Shrink A OS
    misses. The ones you have listed are covered by that batch file.

I just used them both a couple of days ago and it definitely should be part
    of any shrinking routine.

See post #12 of this thread

It will remove

net_rim_theme_att_zen_480x360_b_03.cod
    net_rim_theme_orange_zen_480x360_b_03.cod
    net_rim_theme_rogers_zen_480x360_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_telefonica_zen_480x360_b_03.cod
    net_rim_theme_tim_zen_480x360_b_03.cod
    net_rim_theme_tmobile_zen_480x360_b_03.cod
    net_rim_theme_tmobileeu_zen_480x360_b_03.cod
    net_rim_theme_wind_zen_480x360_b.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_480x360_03_b.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_480x360_03_b.cod
    net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_HK_Jyutping_shortcut s.cod
    net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_norwegian_45k_2.cod
    net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_norwegian_ltr.cod
    net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_romanian_45k_2.cod
    net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_romanian_ltr.cod
    net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_swedish_45k_2.cod
    net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_swedish_ltr.cod
    net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_financial_english_10 k_2.cod
    net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_legal_english_10k_2. cod
    net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_medical_english_35k_ 2.cod
    Telenav_v50_480x360.cod
    Telenav_v50_480x360Lib.cod

It will also remove all files with__ko,__ro, __he,__en ,_en and _ko,_ro

The script is set to move the files to "C:\Removed" . So you can just make a folder named "Removed" on your C: drive, or you can edit it as you choose. The batch file also needs to be in the folder where the .cod files reside.
    05-23-10 01:43 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD