I know this topic has been brought up before, but it's hard to find quality information....

Does MemoryBooster (at least the latest versions) work? It is consistently in the "Top Paid" category of AppWorld. It is #2 right now and it has a 3.5/5 stars rating. Most of the reviews are very good and S4BB Ltd. is making lots of money from it.

Theories of market economics would indicate that people are willing to pay for the app. If it was no good, the first few reviews would have sunk it and it would have faded from the charts. There is obviously long-term momentum behind it.

We know it is a marketing success, however, does it work, technically?
    05-08-10 07:06 AM
    Someone has made a lot of money off it and wants to charge you a lot of money for it, that means it's the best and must work and you should buy it. Don't listen to anyone who's offering 13x the features for 1/13th the price, there must be something wrong or they'd be top paid apps. MemoryBooster, MemoryUp Pro, and BerryJoose are the best apps because they charge the most, are high on the bestseller lists, and make the most money. It has nothing to do with names, marketing, or publication date, anyone else has just as much a chance and if they had more features or better value they would be on top. There is no way that anything better gets buried, it always rises to the top, so just don't worry about it, pick the top seller and pay whatever they ask for it! That will make you feel warm & fuzzy inside which is the real reason to buy anything, just like the used car lot sales managers said after we sold one for $5000 profit putting the customer upside-down from day one.
    05-08-10 09:13 AM
    ^^^ Speaks the truth. Nice job by the OP searching before posting.
    05-08-10 10:05 AM
    Most (if not all) of the memory recovery apps do not do as promised. However, I must disagree with the OP regarding favorable reviews for this app. Here is a sampling of some of the reviews:

David
    bad this slowed my phone down to half the speed it was

Terry
    Crap! This app takes more memory than it recovers. My BB runs much slower than before after I installed it and ran ii in the background. It is some kind of memory crasher, instead of memory booster. Please refund.

Jon
    they should have named it memory leaker! man am i glad I only wasted .99 cents for this!

Jim
    Completely fake results and the app keeps freezing my phone

Daniel
    This app is a big joke. It takes more memory than it recovers. And my BB crashes frequently after using it. The good reviews must be paid ones. User be aware!

hds
    This app is useless. If you run the built-in BB Memory Cleaner first then run this app is retrieves virtually NO add'l memory! Waste of money.

Tinkman
    A waste of money!!! No use at all, please refund.

Roberthp
    no improvement yet
    05-08-10 10:54 AM
    I had several of these, and I deleted them for a test run and things were much the same. I ended up reinstalling berryjoose, but of late (due to bbm5 and the bb twitter app) it hasn't done very well at keeping my memory leaks down.
    I can't say if they work or not, but it is likely they don't restore more memory than they use (except possible berryjoose, which only takes up 30kb compared to over 100 for some of the others).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-10 12:06 PM
    If you're looking for a technical answer...

The Blackberry OS manages its own memory. The only way for a third party application to recover memory is to:

1. Manually initiate the Java garbage collector. This forces the OS to reclaim memory that was marked as free by other applications or the OS itself.

2. Run the OS' memory cleaner. This is mainly for security purposes, but has the side affect of recovering some memory due to it deleting caches, etc.

3. Delete stuff like the event log, etc.

So, any application that claims to have complicated logic, algorithms, etc. that "optimize" your phone's memory can doing nothing but call some some APIs provided by the OS to initiate the garbage collector, run the memory cleaner, etc.

Now, these things do help some people, but only to a point. For example, the garbage collector can only recover memory that has been marked as free; if you have an application that is leaking memory and not marking it as free, running the garbage collector won't help you.

I have struggled with explaining this to people with MeterBerry since its conception. This is why I've made MeterBerry's main focus to provide the user with tools to help them understand their phone's memory and to find where memory problems lie.
    Last edited by Giant Cashew; 05-08-10 at 12:27 PM.
    05-08-10 12:11 PM
    I do use MeterBerry and it does exactly as explained above. It is very useful for the memory monitoring aspect of the app (especially when a new theme, app, or even a new OS is installed) and it now is the only app of its kind that will perform a scheduled re-boot on the newer 5.0 OS.
    05-08-10 01:40 PM
    Well, I paid for it, tried it and it hasn't been on my phone for a LONG time, if that tells you anything. I couldn't tell a damn thing. I ended up buying meterberry for other reasons and just use it's built in memory cleaner, although a good OS will do it good enough on it's own.
    05-08-10 03:49 PM
    I love Meterberry. It recovers a little bit.
    05-08-10 05:44 PM
    Also on devices where MeterBerry can't be used, people prefer to pay a lot of money for simpler apps with few if any graphs and options, when for less they could have had dual-function metering & memory recovery apps with more features. The proof is in the charts. What's interesting is that people will hang onto $5-15 apps even when they admit they haven't seen any benefit from the money, but wouldn't pay $1-5 for something that at least does something tangible in addition to offering recovery features.
    Last edited by LSphone; 05-08-10 at 08:24 PM. Reason: bad grammar
    05-08-10 07:05 PM
    If you're looking for a technical answer...

The Blackberry OS manages its own memory. The only way for a third party application to recover memory is to:

1. Manually initiate the Java garbage collector. This forces the OS to reclaim memory that was marked as free by other applications or the OS itself.

2. Run the OS' memory cleaner. This is mainly for security purposes, but has the side affect of recovering some memory due to it deleting caches, etc.

3. Delete stuff like the event log, etc.

So, any application that claims to have complicated logic, algorithms, etc. that "optimize" your phone's memory can doing nothing but call some some APIs provided by the OS to initiate the garbage collector, run the memory cleaner, etc.

Now, these things do help some people, but only to a point. For example, the garbage collector can only recover memory that has been marked as free; if you have an application that is leaking memory and not marking it as free, running the garbage collector won't help you.

I have struggled with explaining this to people with MeterBerry since its conception. This is why I've made MeterBerry's main focus to provide the user with tools to help them understand their phone's memory and to find where memory problems lie.
    I know it seems tiresome, but, thanks for repeating the information.

What's interesting is that people will hang onto $5-15 apps even when they admit they haven't seen any benefit from the money, but wouldn't pay $1-5 for something that at least does something tangible in addition to offering recovery features.
    True statement.
    05-08-10 10:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD