Hey all;

I'm a teacher/working musician in the Bay area. ... and would love to know the "skinny" on memory apps such as memory booster ... BOTTOMLINE are they worth it and how much do they affect the battery life... thanks
    Last edited by JeffH; 03-21-10 at 08:57 AM. Reason: deleted embedded links
    03-21-10 12:53 AM
    I would say no. Just install quickpull to do a soft reset every so often and it will help keep memory stable.
    03-21-10 01:03 AM
    so are you advertising your links or asking a legitimate question?
    03-21-10 01:07 AM
    The OS has memory management tools that are always running. Any memory management tool you install has to run in the memory space that it is trying to manage, and that the OS is already managing. So unless a memory manager program can recover more memory than it uses itself, and do so without conflicting with the OS memory manager, then it isn't likely to help and may even cause problems.

I don't use any memory managers, so my comments should not be taken as a criticism of any specific app.
    03-21-10 09:01 AM
    IMO, no. You can accomplish virtually the same results by clearing your text/emails, deleting your browser cache, and doing a battery pull.
    03-21-10 09:37 AM
    I have MeterBerry and I find it useful. I install and delete a lot of apps and themes. It helps me me to track battery usage and memory loss.

To be fair, I'm kinda OCD.
    03-21-10 04:24 PM
    I have MeterBerry and I find it useful. I install and delete a lot of apps and themes. It helps me me to track battery usage and memory loss.

LOL. I thought everyone on here was OCD
    03-21-10 06:50 PM

To be honest, I dont consider MeterBerry as a memory manager. I use it for battery monitoring mostly, but its a nice app. As for actual memory "boosting" apps, I say forget them and just do a battery pull as stated above and everything should be fine!
    03-21-10 09:00 PM
    EVERY memory app is 100%, unadulterated snake oil. You can accomplish the same
    and more by way of simple housekeeping.
    03-21-10 09:49 PM
    ^100%^ ............waist of money.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-10 09:58 PM
    +1 to ocd :d

sorry meant to quote the post up there... now my post just seems meaningless.
    03-21-10 10:54 PM
    Hmmmm... I have quite a few on my phone... I have an older bb with too many apps, so I tried them. Im gonna uninstall them and see if it makes a difference. Hopefully i'll remember to repost here with what happens in a few days.
    03-23-10 07:57 PM
    They absolutely work within the scope of their intention. MemoryFlash is a favorite of mine. Small, unobtrusive and does what you expect it to do. Depending on your distro, running a mem tool is similar to manually flushing your mem cache with echo -n 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches. While the *nix kernel does an admirable job of mem management, manual flushing before running a mem intensive app (e.g. GIMP loaded with multiple image files) absolutely has its merits. I will often sync && before flushing while mem intensive apps are running to increase overall system responsiveness. The same holds true with certain BB apps and mem managers such as MemoryFlash.

03-24-10 02:48 AM
    I find that PBTaskManager from Ottafone works fairly well. Whenever I clean my memory, results are always shown when I look how much free memory I have afterward. Its on a free trial and I'm actually considering purchasing it, and I never pay for apps.

I don't know about any other apps but that one is pretty good. It keeps me from having to re-boot to regain free memory, especially since it cleans hourly.
    03-24-10 03:06 AM
    I actually prefer not knowing free mem results (e.g. free -mot) as I feel that introduces additional overhead. Just request garbage collection, wait for the spinning dial and go.

03-24-10 07:01 AM
    I know the dev isn't popular these days, but I do use berryjoose on my curve 8330 and I have seen a drastic reduction in hr glass, etc.
    I don't think newer devices warrant such software, but for us old device users, it helps...more than I would have expected.
    03-24-10 07:14 AM
    Ok, so here's how it went for me.
    I had berryjoose, legowa, and blackberry memory up pro, and logmaid on my phone. I deleted all of them except logmaid (which, quite frankly, I forgot about). I also have have quickpull set to do a bettery pull every night. So here's my result guys:
    I'm pretty sure I've had less hourglasses since I deleted them. Maybe not, but ... I suppose that did free up a couple hunded kb, so ...
    Monitered my free memory, it fell a little in the morning then stayed pretty steady through the day.
    Anyways, I won't be bothering with any other memory app.
    Oh, I deleted batterybooster too.

03-27-10 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD