Has anybody used MaxMem on their BB?

I want to free up memory (badly) on my curve 8320 but I do not want to have to go through my PC or do anything too invasive. This looks like it might do the trick.

Has anyone used this? Opinions? Stories?

Thanks!
    09-14-09 10:24 AM
    I use that every time I load an os on my phone. I always use it to get rid of voice activated dialing, myfaves and media. Make sure you do a back up and go for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-09 11:11 AM
    No and you should not either. Here's the deal. MaxMem will remove
    things from your device but not from the JAVA folder on your
    computer, so essentially whenever you use Desktop Manager it
    will want to put back everything you removed.

Better solution is CrackMem (by Forums Moderator Pete6)
    09-14-09 12:36 PM
    Has anybody used MaxMem on their BB?

I want to free up memory (badly) on my curve 8320 but not want to have to go through my PC or do anything too invasive. This looks like it might do the trick.

Has anyone used this? Opinions? Stories?

Thanks!
    No and you should not either. Here's the deal. MaxMem will remove
    things from your device but not from the JAVA folder on your
    computer, so essentially whenever you use Desktop Manager it
    will want to put back everything you removed.

Better solution is CrackMem (by Forums Moderator Pete6)
    I have cast a vote in favor of MaxMem, it works well for those members that do not use a computer in conjunction with their BlackBerry.

AG is correct, but I must address a detail. It is not Desktop Manager that restores the missing applications, it is Application Loader, a seperate application that can be used from Desktop Manger.

Total agreement, CrackMem and Applications Loader are the preferred technique, when a Windows PC computer is available.
    09-14-09 12:43 PM
    I have cast a vote in favor of MaxMem, it works well for those members that do not use a computer in conjunction with their BlackBerry.

AG is correct, but I must address a detail. It is not Desktop Manager that restores the missing applications, it is Application Loader, a seperate application that can be used from Desktop Manger.

Total agreement, CrackMem and Applications Loader are the preferred technique, when a Windows PC computer is available.
    Don't know much about MaxMem. As far as a Windows PC, it's much better
    if it's Windows XP. Using Vista for the last month and a half now is a pain and
    CrackMem hasn't worked for me like it used to on my older Windows XP
    computer.

So before my last OS update on my Bold I went through the Common Files-
    Research In Motion folder to delete the applications that CrackMem does a
    great job in removing. Just sucks that Microsoft has produced Vista.
    09-14-09 12:46 PM
    interesting
    09-14-09 12:51 PM
    Thanks Reed. That is definitely a distinction that needed to be made.
    09-14-09 01:05 PM
    Ok...trying to get this all straight.

If I use MaxMem, I can still use BlackBerry Desktop and it will not load everything back as long as I do not use the Application Loader...correct?

My feeling is that I do not want to mess around with installing an OS on my PC and going through my PC to get rid of things...I would much rather do things on-phone.

OK...let us assume I am going to use MaxMem.

1) I can tell it NOT to uninstall the "Today" theme (that is what I use)?

2). What all "media" does it delete (all pre-installed ringtones and sounds)?

I made a backup...so if I run MemMax and then do not like the results, all I have to do is hit "restore," right?

Anything else I should know (sorry, pretty new to this)?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-09 02:42 PM
    Ok. Let's see if I can get some help here.

I am trying to delete the Default Themes using Maxmem. I open Maxmem, and scroll down to "Remove Default Themes" confirm that I have a backup and confirm that the coder is not liable for any data loss. At this point I am waiting for the confirmation that I want to remove these files. But it never comes. Next thing that happens is that the prompt to Restart my device comes up. I click on Restart now. When the device boots up again, I go to options -*-> themes and the default themes are still there. I see the two themes I have installed plus AT&T zen and Precision Zen.

Any suggestions?
    08-31-10 11:19 AM
    you don't want to delete the default zen theme or your other themes will not work. I used maxmem a few times and then went straight BBSAK, was a helluva lot easier and I could delete more in one whack like vvm, vad, etc.
    08-31-10 12:54 PM
    BBSAK is better overall, but as far as on device, maxmem is the best (and only).
    One thing I love about maxmem is that it removes extra languange translations. I still use it for that on my 9650, although I leave VAD and default themes alone.
    As far as DM trying to reload the missing modules, just uninstall the OS from your computer. Not like you really need it until you're gonna reload your OS.
    Haha, I feel like I'm endorsing a product: I'm Shane, and I use Maxmem. *cheesy smile, commercial fades out*
    Anyways, yeah Maxmem is good.
    08-31-10 01:16 PM
    Thanks. I think I'll leave those themes on there for now then.
    08-31-10 01:39 PM
    I tried deleting those themes from my phone without maxmem, said I could do it but when I rebooted they came right back. Good to know that I don't really want that.
    08-31-10 10:57 PM
    What I want to know is what if I don't do any back up because I don't have a PC available for it, should I feel afraid to do so? Also, I mainly just want to rid my device of those pesky "sample" pictures. So I go into MaxMem, click the media toggle and there are two different things I can delete, but I have no idea what they each are. One says something about backgrounds, the other has no such simply designation, any ideas? Is it not safe to delete one? I'd assume the "backgrounds" are those sample wallpapers I want to delete... any confirmation?
    09-05-10 09:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD